Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

AA 5344 - Mesa CRJ-900, Main Cabin Extra and Plaza Premium Lounge YVR (US departures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 5344 - Mesa CRJ-900, Main Cabin Extra and Plaza Premium Lounge YVR (US departures)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

Hi folks,

This is just a quick one to cover the CRJ-900 that Mesa are flying as American's regional partner. The plane isn't listed on Seatguru, so I thought this might be useful.

- Itinerary: YVR-LAX
- Airline: Mesa, dba American Regional
- Aircraft: CRJ-900
- Flight Number: AA 5344
- On time departure: yes (13:25)
- On time arrival: early (15:44)
- Miles: 1083
- Flight time: 2:09
- Seat: 5D
- Class: Main Cabin Extra

First thing to note is that American / US Air passengers do not have access to either of the Oneworld lounges at YVR, as both the Cathay and British Airways lounges (both of which are terrific) are on the International side and not accessible from US departures.

Stopped by the Plaza Premium Lounge for a quick drink, like all their lounges it's little more than a drinks fridge and a hotel-lobby-looking collection of armchairs and cafe tables, but the beer's cold and it's quiet.

On to the flight.

A little over half full today in both J and Y. The CRJ is not what you'd call a big plane; First, this means all carry-on-sized suitcases are gate-checked whether you like it or not. Second, I'm 6'1", and if I'm not careful I'll hit my head getting on, walking down the aisle and again in the restroom.

I am not, of course, careful, so I've got a nice souvenir lump atop my head right now.

The factor that drove me to this flight was Main Cabin Extra (MCE); the other option for the flight time I wanted was Air Canada's dreaded Rouge, with the distinction of the worst seat pitch of any airline flying in North America at a bone-crushing 29 inches.

As a Oneworld Sapphire, MCE is free, and it's a godsend - just a regular economy seat, but with a 34-36" seat pitch, enough to stretch my legs comfortably.

Seatguru doesn't publish a seat map for American/Mesa's CR9, and the seat map on the AA website is itself unclear, but the best seat in the house is 4A, which is a bulkhead row, single seat as the aisle jogs from Business to Economy.

5D/F are also a bulkhead row, and in this case there's no actual bulkhead, just a curtain between Business and Economy, so the legroom extends under the seat in front.

5C is behind the "missing" 4C, so on the plus side you've got legroom for days, on the downside every one of your fellow passengers will bump into you while boarding.

Now, the bad news. The seats on the Mesa CR9 are atrocious.

Unlike most of the newer product with an adjustable headrest, these seats are firm foam with a molded headrest that looks like it's custom designed for someone who's around 5'9".

In my case, at 6'1", it was perfectly placed to force my shoulders away from the rest of the seat, providing a 2-hour flight with negative lumbar support. Really uncomfortable stuff, glad I had a sweater to wedge in there.

Last thoughts - because the CR9 has twin, tail-mounted engines, it's an eerily quiet ride up near the front, though when I went back to the restroom it was deafening. As it's a small regional jet, turbulence that would be irritating on a 737 is a real roller-coaster ride.

No IFE on this plane - rediscover the lost art of reading, damn it!

Long story short, this is a fantastic plane if you're under six feet tall, otherwise it's truly awful.

4A and 5C/D/F are better-than-exit-row good for legroom, so if you fit the criteria above it's wonderfully comfortable stuff.

Last edited by YOWgary; Nov 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Various
Thanks for this. I had forgotten that AA had started LAX-YVR direct service on their own metal. Two of their partners already serve that market (WestJet and Alaska) with direct fights.

I've heard bad commentary on the CR9 aircraft that are US metal. Disappointing that the CR7 Envoy Aircraft aren't used, as they are a nice aircraft.

Did you happen to notice if the First/Business cabin received any catering beyond beverages and snack mix? Any impressions on the seating in that cabin just from a glance? Sounds like Alaska has the better service and comfort on this route, with WestJet coming in 2nd.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA - Gold, AS - MVPG, Marriott - Titanium
I was on this flight to and from LAX just after the route started and appreciate the pictures and the report, thank you! I found the lack of a seat map unfortunate, but in the end it didn't matter much as the plane was half full on both legs in both business and coach with people moving around a bit.

Robt760, regarding catering in Business: beverages were available and a snack basket came around a few times containing packets of nuts, cookies, pretzels, and potato chips. Something more would have been nice but since the flight isn't too long it wasn't a problem. The seating arrangement is 1-2, I sat on the A side both flights which worked well. Since carry-ons are gate checked there is room for briefcases in the overheads, freeing up under seat space for legroom. I agree that the backs of the seats are not designed for passengers over 6' (and at 6'4" I couldn't lean my head back at all).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:31 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
nice tr! good to see a review of the new american on here! keep it up.

Service and seats are interesting... not the best too.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I was on another one this week as US Airways PHX-GDL, same layout and service.

$110 to upgrade to J on a 2hr flight.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:09 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Smile Nice Report

Dear Gary,

The last time I was in the lounge is when it was still run by Alaska Airlines (brings back lots of fond memories) (-:

I have flown on the CR-900 somewhere around 40-50 times with the US Airways configuration. I find it to be one of the most comfortable Barbie Jets out there.

However, I have only (thankfully) flown in first (J) Class.

P.S. Every time I am in YVR, I have to pick up some candy salmon at Granville Market (munching on that during my flight home always takes me to my "happy place"!!!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So we'll be flying on the CR9 in May. Which is better up front? Row 1 or Row 3?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My gosh that has considerably more space and comfort than flying Air Canada Rouge - there is no comparison. ^

The Plaza Premium Transborder looks almost identical in decor to the Plaza Premium Internatonal for what it's worth.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Why don't these Mesa CR9s get catering during meal times, if the 175s and CR7s do; it seems like a gap in service. Im flying Austin to Charlotte in March during lunch time hours. Seems strange.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Hey sorry to bring back an old thread,

Are the seats any larger in business class over Main Cabin Extra? I'm flying this route next month and wondering whether to go AA Buisness or Premium Rouge on AC
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Yes the seat is bigger, I think it's 20" wide instead of 17'3".

Of the two, I would 100% suggest AA Business over Premium Rouge, which is just an economy seat with the middle blocked off.

Choose an A seat if you can, they're singles.

For comparison, here's Premium Rouge on a 319:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ium-rouge.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.