Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus ‘new’ 757 (Air Contractors) MAN-DUB-YYZ in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Great report. Good to see EI still delivering the magic. I posted a TR in maybe 2012 for BHX-DUB-JFK & back in J. Loved it!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by OttoMH
There's a dedicated 'connections' immigration and security on arrival to DUB. From the UK it was passport only, from YYZ there was security but no queue, through in a couple of minutes tops.
Since last commenting we have made the trip MAN-DUB-YYZ-DUB-MAN.

At DUB outbound coming in from MAN we had *no* passport or security check. The agent checking BPs at the entrance to the connection area asked where we had come from and when we said MAN we were directed down a special lane which passed around the immigration booth and security area to the foot of the escalator which led straight back up the departure lounge.

On return from YYZ we had to clear *both* immigration and security in the same area.

I did not gather enough material to write a formal Trip Report - mostly because we were travelling with a 22-month old - but here is my two-pence on the salient points (pros and cons) re: itinerary and service:

PROS
-Swift (empty!) check-in at MAN for entire itinerary meant we were relieved of our checked luggage in about 60 seconds.
-No need to reclear security in DUB - one clearance through UK serves for entire trip. Good that the Irish authorities have been pragmatic in this respect. Akin with transiting LHR from MAN but advantageous over transits in AMS/CDG/FRA etc.
-Clear immigration in DUB on inbound as part of transit means that one arrives back in UK as effectively "pre-cleared" pax.
-Pre-boarding well enforced for families on transatlantic legs on both routes -
very much welcomed to allow us to settle into seats and stow hand baggage.
-Friendly crews - very good with children in particular. Seemed to recognise the specific needs of travelling with young children and were helpful and responsive.

CONS
-narrowbody 757 a/c felt a bit cramped, particularly on the longer outbound. Only 4 lavatories for entire economy cabin - led to a bit of a lengthy wait (and queues blocking the one aisle) at times. Hopefully EI will see the future merits of the service (loads on both our sectors were good) and potentially increase their widebody fleet accordingly. They currently - I understand - damp lease the 757s used on this route as noted in the thread title.
-AVOD was unreliable and crashed fairly frequently (one of the attendants taught me how to reset it - implying a regular issue - and others around had the same issue.
-second service on the inbound (breakfast) was poor - NutriGrain bars and OJ - and surprisingly no tea of coffee served.
-booze is chargeable (EUR 4.50 for a small beer) but soft drinks/water/juice are gratis as is tea and coffee after the meal service. Listed this here as is may be a con for some but to be honest I'd rather have a cheaper fare than "all-you-can-drink" booze I am probably not going to be able to avail of.
-not directly EI's fault but a negative experience with a security agent at DUB that nearly brought my wife to tears over her asking us to "hurry up" whilst waiting for our bags at the end of the X-Ray when we were clearly trying (the two of us) to get a tantruming, jetlagged toddler into a sling on my wife's back. An e-mail has been sent to DAA.

All-in-all - a very good service that I would not hesitate to use again if the price were right (indeed this time it came in circa Ł400 cheaper for 2pax+infant compared to our usual Canadian Affair/Air Transat, the first time in 5 years we have not used them). As you can see above pros outweigh cons generally. Only major niggle was with the equipment used - hopefully as noted above EI will see fit to upgrade to an in-house widebody AC as per its other North American services.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Joely
You may miss BA's flat bed but at least EI seem to be able to cook a steak properly. BA you get a choice of cremated or even more cremated!
+1 I've only seen that much red in CX or EY~~
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Thanks for this one - I will likely have to go to DUB for work sometime soon, and your report got me interested in EI!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Thanks for this one - I will likely have to go to DUB for work sometime soon, and your report got me interested in EI!
EI is always a pleasure... I think it's the 'Grand!' 'Grand!' 'Thanksamillion..' 'Ahh.. that's grand' cheeriness that I enjoy! The drinks service was stereotypically Irish too so I was pleased (sozzled!)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:11 am

Thanks for the in depth look at Aer Lingus' business class product. I was wondering what it would be like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.