Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid, miami, cancun, new york & london

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Madrid, miami, cancun, new york & london

Not wanting to spend a fortune on a taxi from Stratford or oversleeping like I did last year in an Airport hotel I decided to get a night bus from Stratford to Heathrow. Left home shortly after 1.15am and walked to the bus stop. First bus to Canning Town empty and uneventful for the 10 minute short journey. On arrival the next bus was already in but then it turned on its alarm as a massive fight with about 8 people kicked off on the bus that spilled out onto the bus station. Friends of the people involved tried to pull them apart. I stood away and after a few minutes some police turned up and separated the groups

Contemplated trying to get a cab at that point but another bus came along where most of the people got on to so I waited for the one after which was empty. One of the great things about London is the night bus network and I didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes at 1.35am. Uneventful 20 minute journey into Central London and then just 6 minutes to wait for the N9 to Heathrow. Was the first to board so put luggage in rack took the front seat and settled down. 80 minute journey was fast helped but the tipsy revellers mixing with the handful of people that had decided to do the same as me. Arrived at Terminal 5 shortly before 4am for a total cost of nothing having used my annual travelcard.

Displays showed Bag Drop for the BA456 to Madrid opening at 4.30am jms_uk had kindly agreed to guest me into the Galleries First though he had the benefit of staying at the nearby Ibis hotel and arranged to meet after we checked in although as surprisingly there was no check in counters opened in the Club/First area with check in for Madrid being dealt with by desks F2-F8.

With check in completed for both of us through to security..I have to say it was one of the best security experiences ever. Many machines open, so directed to 2 empty machines. Thorough in next to no time so a green smiley today.

Lounges opened at 5am so had to wait a few minutes but were one of the first in. On first impressions First Lounge more comfortable seating and jms_uk showed me to the dining area. Better quality food from the buffet and was recommended to try the Eggs Benedect. Definitely a fan.

Was good to chat with a fellow Flyertalker, most of which was about the good old days of BMI. Time for a glass of bubbles before heading down to gate A13.

Boarding was well under way with just a few people in the priority line. Flight seemed to be fairly full, about 14 people in Club Europe. Pushback slightly delayed due to a baggage dolly being left behind the back of the aircraft. Glad this was early in the morning as I could have forseen a longer delay in trying to get this moved later in the day.

Uneventful push back, short taxi and take off. Crew started breakfast service shortly after. 2 crew lookig after Club Europe went back to front on right side and then front to back on left side meaning that I was served last sitting in 6A. No big deal as still a choice there.

The CSD welcomed everybody by name that he served cross referring to his ipad. This worked well i thought and didn't seem false. As a Bronze going to Blue on the route to Silver being greeted by name is not important to me but it worked well here.

The traditional English breakfast was ok though I was not that hungry after the something in Galleries First. Regular tea and coffee runs appreciated by most people. Surprisingly no champagne offered.. now I know there are not many fans of Monopole around but I was going on holiday so asked for one.

CSD then bought me another one about 45 minutes to landing with some nuts. He asked me what I was doing in Madrid and i told him connecting to Iberia to Miami. He asked why I wasn't flying direct and I told him it was to generate a few more TPs and Avios.

An ontime landing and short taxi to the gate.

All in all a great flight, good crew, attentive service and what BA are good at.

Extremely grateful to jms_uk for guesting me into First Lounge. Will be Silver again myself in November so please if you see me on the Lounge list then contact me to let me guest you in.

Currently in Miami after a decent nights sleep just about to head off to MIA for flight to CUN. Will up date rest of TR later today.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Sep 21, 2014 at 8:27 am Reason: To add first stage of TR.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Same terminal connection at Madrid, exited the aircraft and followed the signs for connecting flights, another security check, no priority lane but fast moving queues and through in a couple of minutes. To the lounge through a Duty Free shop (and you thought T5 was bad!).

This is the only disappointing part about the journey, the lounge was very busy with many long haul Iberia flights taking off within the next 90 minutes. Some people were sleeping on sofas, other people small groups of 2 and 3 spread over seating areas for 4 or 6 people.

In the end I asked a couple using 6 seats which 4 of them they weren't using (bags on 2, them on 2 others and after some glaring looks they removed their bags from the 2 seats and I sat down in 1 and put my bag on the floor.

I wasn't hungry but the salmon looked tasty so had some of that with some cava. Considering this is a lounge for the home base of Iberia it is a bit disappointing. Boarding call at 11.10 for 11.50 flight, final call in lounge at 11.20. Was going from gate U69. Finding this wasn't easy having taken 2 wrong turnings I had to ask 2 Iberia staff for directions and got to the gate as the final call went out at 11.30.

Amenity kits and headsets given out with welcome drink. Followed by newspapers and magazines. Was sitting in seat 2A which was quite claustrophobic but better than Economy. 1C was free and the doors closed, and we pushed back almost immediately so I asked the cabin crew if I could move after take off.

Some reviews of Iberia's Business Plus product are that the service is typical Spanish manyana style. i didn't find this to be the case.

Not long after take off, hot towels were given out along with menus. Shortly after the Purser came round with her ipad, welcomed everybody onboard by name and gave out a voucher for complimentary wifi and took the orders for the main course.

Immediately after that came the drinks trolley and opted for a G&T. Large measure poured and 250ml can of tonic given with either nuts or olives.

Another drinks run and then came the starter. Nicely presented on a tray, salad a bit tasteless but great quality never the less.

An impressive wine list for the flight and a glass of white chilled just perfectly was a great accompaniement.

Inflight entertainment not the best choice of movies but 2 x classic films and some great music would be enough to keep me up.

Main course of veal didn't look as good as it tasted but again washed down with a the same wine.

Ice cream for desert with another fine desert wine followed by a coffee and a Baileys.

Cabin cleared, lights dimmed and most people seemed to have their window shades down since take off as aircraft was very hot on boarding and all blinds down.

I watched Moulin Rouge and must have dozed off to that..as woke up listening to some of the songs that i had added to my playlist. Another G&T and a walk around the cabin to stretch my legs. There was a trolley of snacks in the rear galley, fruit, nuts cake and drinks but I did not bother apart from water.

Put the seat a bit more in recline and must have slept a couple more hours. Woke about 2 hours out of Miami and asked for a coffee, was offered an espresso which was very welcome.

Cabin mood lighting turned up and crew went round with hot towels.

Pre-arrival snack was tapas style and very tasty with coffee and asked for another G&T.

Crew cleared the cabin and prepared for arrival. Asked to speak to the purser and she looked at me as if to say what is the problem and I said I just wanted to thank her for the great flight and good crew. Told her it was very favourable with my other long haul Club experiences and explained how disappointed i was about the lounge. She did say it was because there were many long haul flights leaving so close to each other and said I wasn't the only person to say the same.

On time arrival and sitting in 1C hoped to be off first but disembarkation from middle exit. Crew initially didn't stop the economy passengers from filing down both aisles but soon did and Business Plus passengers disembarked. A lot of people seemed to be connecting so headed off to a different immigration area. Agent meeting flight with express connection orange fliers and then staff in Immigration Hall were taking these to the front of the queue.

Immigration seemed to be fast flowing and people were asked to stand 4 or so behind the yellow line. We were invited to find out own line. I lucked out here as my line seemed to be the slowest with people behind me in the snake line being seen by other officers quicker. Once it was my turn, was just asked how long I would be in the US for and passport and customs form stamped whereas people in front of me were retrieving papers etc from their bags.

On to baggage reclaim and bags already lined up next to reclaim counter so i don't know if priority tags worked and no line to exit customs.

Despite what seemend an age at Immigration, was waiting for the shuttle bus to hotel 55 mins after arriving at the gate so pretty impressed with that.

Apart from a poor lounge experience a very comfortable flight and a good crew.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Sep 22, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: to add tr
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Short wait for the courtesy bus to The Embassy Suites Hotel at Miami International Airport.

Just 3 passengers picked up and driver offered ice cold water which was a welcome bonus

Had managed to get room upgrade for 2000 HH Points and rate included free wifi. Prompt and efficient check in. Room typical Embassy Suites apart from the lounge area did not have a separate shower room and toilet. Hotel was full of families and groups of friends sharing the 1 suite which is I guess the whole point of them.

Managers reception was just about to start but I freshened up first before heading down. A fairly good variety of complimentary drinks and cocktails and an impressive range of snacks. Spoilt by lots of children running around with little parental control but having a 9 year old nephew was not fussed by this but clearly some people were.

Had been up all night for the 16 hour journey was too tired to venture far for evening meal so decided to eat in the hotel. Wasn't busy, first choice of starter wasn't available but when for chicken wings and grilled chicken. Main came out shortly after the starter so obviously put through at the same time. Asked for it come out later and was put back under a hot lamp

It was returned to me and was quite dry but I was too tired to do anything about it so ate most of it before retiring.

Slept well and woke at 6am so got up and dressed and was down for breakfast at the start. Wide range of hot and cold items, juices, yoghurts and coffee.

Decided to head out to the pool for a swim but was full of screaming children so decided to give that a miss. Headed back to the room to complete the first part of this trip review.

Had stopped by at the front desk to query a couple of charges on my folio. It seems they had charged me for phone calls and an upgrade when I used points to upgrade. Was told they would be removed.

Checked out at 11am but had to wait ages for a lift to discover the one operational lift at this side of the hotel used by staff. Very annoying.

At check out erroneous charge had not been removed and 2 other spurious charges had appeared. Kept asking why this had been allowed to happen and was just disregarded. Had to ask several times for a revised folio to see that even then the charges hadn't been removed and again once they had, asked for a final one from hotel showing nil account.

Tiny elements of the stay were not up to the usual standard but if you equate the products and services you got for the price paid you would have got value for money.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:09 am Reason: to add TR
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Arrived at Miami Airport just after 11.45am for 2.33pm flight to Cancun. Directed to the Business Check in counters which were empty and I was seen immediately. Told that here were 2 Admirals Clubs in the terminal and that D15 was closest to my gate of D15.

I had not been able to OLCI check in for this flight. I tweeted American Airlines to ask if there was a problem with OLCI, almost immediatly, they replied, followed me and sent me a message asking for locator. I gave them the details and they came back to me to say they thought it might be due to the fact that Mr was part of the name on an international booking prohibiting this. Assured me everything was OK and I could check in at the airport.

Stopped by at the BA desk as wanted to check something for a different flight and saw that the security lines in this area to be quieter so went thought. 4 out of 5 people were directed to the scanner which seemed less claustrophobic than I imagined. As my bags were going through the belt I thought I had left 3 bottles of water in there and was expecting to have them both examined. All bags through and another positive security experience. Took the Sky Train to the part of the terminal I wanted and discovered that I HAD left 3 bottles of 750 ml water in my 2 carry on bags..

Headed for the Admirals Club at D15 and offered my boarding card and passport. Green light beep then he asked if I was BAEC. I told him I was and he said my number wasn't in the booking. He said that he could enter it to get my miles so I gave him the number and he scanned the BP again, it beeped green and he gave me a premium drink voucher.

Now this is barely an airport lounge. A few seats, a few tables, what looks like a pop up bar, some snacks , in an area resembling a gate room. Still there was wifi, cold drinks and chocolate coated pretzels which are my new love in life.

Headed to D11 about 40 minutes before boarding. They were just doing the wheelchair preboards and were asking people to check bags in free of charge as flight was full.

A few people did and boarding commenced at 2pm. I was the first regular passenger to board and took my seat in 4A to be told that 4B was empty. Now this was a brand new B738 aircraft in the new AA livery. Flight boarded quickly and pushed back at 2.20, 13 minutes ahead of schedule. Captain advised us of new route which would take 10 minutes less so all good. Shortly after take off, Mexican Customs and Immigration forms were given out and crew took drinks orders.

She came out with these and then bought out the refreshments. It was a snack basket akin to what you would get on a BA domestic flight or ET. Crisps, a fig bar, nuts or pretzels.

Regular drinks runs were made as I watched our rapid progress to Cancun on the skymap listening to the 80s channel.

We arrived at the gate nearly 40 mins ahead of schedule and there appears to have been 1 flight in front of us. Short wait for immigration and headed to the baggage claim. Bags for our flight were just arriving, 12 mins after getting off the aircraft with priority tagged bags the first off. Mine was about 7th to come off and within 15 minutes from landing I was looking for my pre-booked transfer.

All in all another great fight. seat comfortable, good service and fast baggage delivery.

Questions answered promply by AA twitter team. I guess this has opened my eyes to the Club Europe experience. What do you want most, bigger seats and more leg room or better food... Its like one of those daddy or chips questions isnt it.

Intreagued as to what other people thought I entered BA Club Europe and AA Domestic First into Google Fight

Here is the answer

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...ic+First+Class

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

CUN hotel

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

CANCUN
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am
Original Poster

CUN-JFK
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

JFK-LHR
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Good TR so far so thank you for that, always shied away from IB but it sounds like the service is good so may give them a try next time for the extra TPs and Avios.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamier45
Good TR so far so thank you for that, always shied away from IB but it sounds like the service is good so may give them a try next time for the extra TPs and Avios.
It was very comfortable..and a very good service/product despite the lounge experience and transfer. I will add pictures of the food and seat soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.