Search

Live TR: Boston, Toronto, New York - 9 flights in 9 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Part 13: The Hilton Boston Logan Airport

Part 13: The Hilton Boston Logan Airport

Aren't airport hotels a wonderful thing. I really enjoy the 24/7 buzz that comes with the territory, but a lifetime of living in them would probably drive me every shade of insane.

The lobby, complete with requisite statue (like all hotels, right?)

When I arrived I was behind a Latin American crew who had some sort of grievance at reception and were loudly arguing with the receptionist in Spanish. Now I like to think I understand the odd bit of Spanish but the combination of the accent and the 800 words per minute staccato meant I was left wondering for the rest of the evening whether they simply didn't like their rooms, got one or more extremities stuck in the ice machine or in fact were meant to stay at the Super8 (hard times we live in and all that) and were trying to DYKWIA their way in.

My SOP of cheekily mentioning my HHonors Gold status gets me Executive Lounge access and some water bottles. I only visited the lounge once given I spent much of my 38 hour stay in Toronto and on various airplanes - thinking I'd find a quick bite to eat after my arrival. My choice consisted of a handful of one kind of cookie and some soft drinks, but still better than nothing. I spent a few minutes at the only free table enjoying the views from the window which are lovely, and watching a group of young airline crew decide which FA is spending the night in which pilot's room engage in lively philosophic discussion.

If only I got to see more of this bed during my time here

My room was lovely, perfectly soundproofed, nice bathroom and offering delightful views of a parking garage (okay so maybe some airport or city views would have been nice!) Standard Hilton fare so I was perfectly happy. Not sure if it was an upgraded room but it did feel huge compared to the NY DoubleTree (surprise!).

Not the best bathroom shot...

Other than that, nothing special to mention. Friendly staff and no problem with a 2pm checkout. I had the impression that they would have happily given me an even later time, as when I asked at 1:30am if I could have a late checkout the receptionist seemed surprised that I "only" asked for 2pm. Location is great, right between Terminals A and E, even though it's a comparatively long way from AA's Terminal B it didn't take me more than 10 minutes (all through covered walkways and through Terminal A, into the adjacent parking garage, quick elevator ride and over the enclosed bridge).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Part 14: Beantown Magic

Part 14: Beantown Magic

After the last few days' travelling, now is the time to enjoy the original reason for my trip: a long weekend in Boston with one of my best friends and some more wonderful people, complete with sightseeing, eating and enough drinking to kill nearly every single creature known to man (except of course yours truly and his hardy companions).

I don't have that much of a writeup for this part of my trip - mostly due to my brain and associated creative capabilities residing in a semi-permanent state of intoxication - but hope the pictures will make up for it.

Burgers as a starter before burgers, as one does.

$70 for a few drinks at the W? I'll need a scotch.

The Massachusetts State House

Cannolis at Mike's Pastry in the North End

Sunny days and sunny parks

The USS Constitution

View from the top of Bunker Hill Monument

"Fake Washington Monument" a.k.a. Bunker Hill Monument

"Meatball Madness" (actual name) in the North End

Wonderful beaches in Chatham on Cape Cod

Best Ice Cream in the state!

South Street Diner, where else to have food at 3am?

A bit of Harvard

Boston's wonderful parks

Shakespeare on the Common

I couldn't get enough of these views

Boston Skyline and canoeing as seen from Cambridge

A final thought: Boston is amazing, and easily joins the ranks of my favourite places in the US. I'll be back soon. Next up, a brief review of my room at the W Boston and a not so brief elaboration on a monumental mess that threatened to turn my return trip into chaos. Stay tuned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.