JetBlue "Mint" Inaugural - LAX-JFK-LAX June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue "Mint" Inaugural - LAX-JFK-LAX June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Thanks for yet another great report, Carfield!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Nanook
The last time I flew Jet Blue, the seats were so hard my ... was numb half and hour into the flight. How comfortable are these seats?
I just flew B6 BOS-SEA, was in the seat for 6+ hours, and my butt was OK. It was far better than the United slim A320 "improved" seat I came east on a few days prior... that was agonizing.

Carfield, what a great trip report. There are aspects of the Mint cabin in your photos that suggest international business class on a foreign carrier. Man, I wish B6 would consider adding Seattle to the Mint coverage list. This looks terrific.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
This looks great! I've switched my domestic flying to B6 as I love them. I rarely do TCONs, but will look to them for my next one.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
Man, I wish B6 would consider adding Seattle to the Mint coverage list. This looks terrific.
Apparently, Mint will be expanded to SFO later this year. Boston possibly next year. No idea about SEA.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ss-class-cabin
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
You're outdoing yourself with the trip reports, Carfield! I really enjoyed reading your DFW-HKG report, which I will be flying in September in Y. This is spectacular, too! The food looked more appetizing than some of the dishes served in AA transcon three-class F, although not nearly as plentiful.

Great report!!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by putongo
Wow. Thanks for posting all those great photos from this TR.

I am in shock that a LCC can pull this off. I am hoping that they'll add this to the Bay Area route(s) soon.....

thanks again for showing us all these. Great!

p
JFK-SFO starts this fall!

this is an outstanding trip report and i agree a great looking product. we are hoping to be able to fly it this fall.

i too would like some more commentary about the seats, especially the comfort in the lie flat and the quality of the duvet/pillow. to be honest my use of this service would probably be for redeye travel only, so seat bed comfort is paramount for me.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your kind comments!

Regarding seat comfort, I tried the relax position, and took a nap on the way back in the full flat position. The seat cushion is adjustable to your personal preference. The default sitting is a bit hard for me and I have to press the "-" button the minimum hardness. (However I am told that I like my mattress soft lol!) It worked out in the end, but that is why I am bit concerned about the maintenance of these high tech seats. Even some international airlines have issues. Anyway, the message function is very nice but I can never tell whether it is on or not, but this issue is common with all the airlines who have this message function. I wish the airline manufacturers can address the slow response rate and allow passengers to see if the message function is on or off. This seat is very nice and I compare it to the throne seats that I flew on SN Brussels Airlines a few years ago in its A330s, and JetBlue seats are actually more comfortable with more feet space. It is definitely more comfortable than United's current p.s. seats, in terms of padding. The seats are okay even in its takeoff and landing position.

The pillow and the duvet - the pillow is not thick enough for me and both AA and DL have better pillows, but the pillow is nicer than UA and VX. The blanket/duvet is similar to the kind used by AA and DL, and if JetBlue puts them on sale, I will buy them in a second. Once again Delta's Westin Heavenly bedding definitely scores the highest on the premium transcontinental business bedding, but JetBlue is comparable with American Airlines in the blanket/duvet war (considered I just flew AA international business class a few days earlier and found the blanket to be on the short side). Virgin America unfortunately really needs to step up in this area, as it is the weakest compared to AA/B6/DL/UA!

Thank again!
Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Jun 20, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Looks like a very solid product for current pricing level for some leisure flights to LA/SFO. Only draw back for me could be the food choices. A lot of them are just not my taste.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Great report and pictures! The mint vodka lemonade cocktails look very good.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Excellent pictures, thanks ^ Looks like an excellent product too (even better than the legacy carriers)...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:56 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
great TR carfield ^ very much appreciate the comparisons to the legacy carriers in many aspects and the details you broke em down into! a lotta folks dont do that for some reason, and me personally def wanna hear that side of the equation.

cause those comparisons add a lotta context to any review, so thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Nice TR.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Thai
People become Pigs when you offer them free food. My prediction is that these "In Flight Marketplace" stations will get Wiped out by the coach passengers. Let's see how long before they restrict it to Mint passengers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Cameron38... from both flights, people were actually not going crazy over the inflight marketplace and the F/As actually kept on asking people to help themselves and don't be shy. The F/As will replenish the marketplace periodically during the flight. Additionally, JetBlue has long provided a snack station in the galleys on transcontinental flight on its A320s, and most frequent B6 passengers are actually pretty used to this concept. JetBlue is just now making it fancier.

From what I observed on the inaugural flight and the return on last Tuesday, most people just took another bag of chips or cookies, and bottled waters and cokes are the most popular choice.

I will observe this Wednesday and see how people are using the inflight marketplace.

Thanks for your kind comments,
Carfield
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Great review and great pics, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.