Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon to Bali/Maldives in Star Alliance First: Lufthansa, Thai, Singapore & ANA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon to Bali/Maldives in Star Alliance First: Lufthansa, Thai, Singapore & ANA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Here’s our experience of the Villa Semana Ubud. We paid about $230/night for a 2-night stay and found it to be a great value and just what we were looking for.

You can find the full review below.

----------------

Villa Semana Resort & Spa Review – Ubud, Bali

After leaving the bustling Seminyak area, we headed by shuttle car to Ubud, in central Bali — about 1 hour and 20 minutes away.No sign tells you you’re in Ubud, you just sort of… arrive. Nothing changes between the countryside and the city- just sparse bits of human life followed by trees and vacant land.

The above should shed some light on what it’s like getting around Bali. A ~15 mile drive will take well over 1 hour.

Finally, we turned down a little lane and came up to our picturesque hotel – it couldn’t have been a sweeter hotel.

Just back from our hike around the hotel grounds with a friendly hotel staff member

The hotel, just like the town, is set among the mountains – and the back of the hotel actually looks out over a cliff. There’s not just one building but the villas are spread out and there aren’t but 30 villas, so it is a small, tranquil hotel. The hotel advertises itself as the perfect honeymoon and it truly was. The small staff was welcoming and very friendly — we had the same waiter for lunch and dinner each day and it made you feel like you were visiting someone’s home rather than staying in a hotel.

Check-In

Hotel check-in

Leading to the villas

Peaceful sitting right by the river

The Room

Our hotel room was the Villa Pool Garden View. We had our own cute little pool as well as a huge suite that was beautiful and calming.

Front door to our villa – so romantic!

Our villa

Honeymoon decor

The hotel grounds were just perfectly peaceful – with the infinity pool overlooking the river down below and tons of greenery, you really felt the slow speed of life. As soon as we arrived, I could feel the Balinese way of life was much more prevalent at this hotel (and town) rather than at the bustling W filled with foreigners.

Infinity Pool

Lotus ponds and trickling water everywhere

Traditional Balinese decor

The Restaurant

All three meals of the day were served on the terrace overlooking the infinity pool overlooking the mountains/jungle. Indonesian, Thai and Western foods were offered and it was fun to try new things. It seemed that each dish was cooked to order so, while it took a little extra time, it was always very fresh and extra tasty with interesting spices and unique flavors. The best part about the family feel of the hotel was that we were able to eat dinner, then walk back two hours or so later when we were ready for dessert. No matter where we were or who we saw, the hotel service was always A+++.

Dinner with a view

The hotel gift shop was a jackpot of perfect Balinese souvenirs that were authentic rather than just cheap tchotchkes found on the side of the road peddled only to foreigners. We brought back the traditional “wedding couple” wood carvings – a perfect souvenir from our honeymoon. While we were in the gift shop, we ran into the owner, Jurg, who was originally from Switzerland but has been living in Bali for years. He knew a lot of history and culture and was eager to share what he knew with us. He was very hospitable and even offered to organize a bike ride for the two of us the next morning (more on that later).

The Spa

The owner, Jurg, said the spa was the “best spa in Asia” and I think I’d have to agree. In addition to our bike ride, he offered / insisted to also plan our spa afternoon. Because of the small size of the hotel, we were able to enjoy the spa in complete privacy. The spa is located down the mountain from the rest of the hotel and overlooks the flowing river. It is peaceful and ever so calm. We decided on the “Harmony Package” – $155 USD for a 2 hour couples treatment and bottle of champagne. They are sure to advertise that, when they’re finished, “the room is yours to do whatever you like.” Awkward.

The spa bathtub filled with roses.

Welcome area of the spa

Additionally, the hotel’s location in the town of Ubud was fantastic. We felt safe walking around the streets by ourselves (and the hotel graciously gave us umbrellas when it was raining) and it was so fun to see how the Balinese in Ubud lived and worked (much differently than Seminyak tourists!). The rice fields were just stunning – words can’t describe the picturesque beauty of these fields – and were just steps away from our hotel.

Rice fields near the hotel

BOTTOM LINE: Ubud is truly one of my favorite destinations and it wouldn’t have been the same without Villa Semana!
---------------------
You can find the full post with photo gallery and proper formatting here: Weekend Blitz - Villa Semana
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:00 pm

How did you get the great deals on hotels in Maldives?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Bike Tour of Ubud – Bali, Indonesia

We knew before we ever left the US that we wanted to do a bike tour of Ubud. I’d done a bike tour of Tuscany when I studied abroad and it was one of my favorite memories from my time, so I was really looking forward to learning more about the area in Ubud with a long bike tour. Plus, what’s more romantic than a bike ride through the rice paddies on your honeymoon? Many tours were advertised for appx $30, leaving at 7 or 8am and returning by 2pm, so we knew it wouldn’t be hard to do once we arrived.

As luck would have it, we were chatting with the Swiss owner of our hotel (Villa Semana) upon arrival and he very kindly offered to take us on our own private tour — and it certainly was not what we were expecting! Because Jurg made the “tour” seem so impromptu, we were under the very wrong impression that it’d be more of an informal ride where he’d point out the highlights as we glided by.

Signs of life in the surrounding countryside of Ubud

We were to meet at 7am the next morning, a bit early as Jeffrey and I can never pass up a (free) breakfast: sliced fruit, croque monseiurs and lots of coffee. As we ate (a lot), we looked up to see Jurg getting decked out in professional riding gear for our very unprofessional ride. We ended up leaving at 7:40am, a bit later than planned, because Jurg had to teach me the ins and outs of mountain biking and its gears (I’m more of a cruiser gal). He also made sure I understood how to “properly get in the saddle.” I could already tell this ride would be more than I bargained for.

Biking through the rice paddies

Soon enough, we were off – up and down very steep hills, riding in the streets mostly — with cars zooming by just inches from me. (I’ll pause here to remind you that Charleston, SC is very, very flat.) The hot, humid air at 8am had me regretting my breakfast almost immediately. Luckily, I got plenty of breaks when I had to get off my bike to either push it up the hills (because my legs were too weak to peddle up) OR down the hills (because, again, Charleston is very flat and I had visions of flying head-first over the handlebars and having to cut short my honeymoon). As you can imagine, Jurg was less than impressed.

Here I am lagging behind, as usual

Along the way, Jurg stopped to tell us interesting things, like where Donna Summers used to live and to point out where old hippies smoke drugs. Turns out, Jurg is part of the team that goes around literally executing people for having drugs (Bali’s drug laws are pretty strict). Jurg wanted to be sure that these guys who were “on his list” saw him around town. (Another side note, it was around the time that we’d stop outside of some “hippie houses” to let them know that Jurg was watching them that I saw my breakfast again.)

We rode past many homes and people, but my very favorite part of the day was riding through the rice paddie fields. There was a small footpath we rode on that was mainly used by the rice farmers. We were up close to the rice fields and, many times, were the only people within view. Other times, we were just a few feet away from the rice farmers, and we really felt like we’d uncovered a secret that no tour company would be able to show us. The rice paddies were so beautiful – so surreal.

Google Map:

We were beginning to grow a real appreciation for Ubud and the Balinese as a people – we found them to be exceptionally hardworking and always friendly. Jurg told us that Balinese women do all of the heavy lifting. I found it quite interesting and was very thankful not to be from here if that’s the case.

Rice paddies along the way

After about 12 miles around the city and surrounding countryside, Jurg led us back to Villa Semana where we ate lunch by the main pool. It was worth staying at Villa Semana just for the private bike tour. Not only did we feel very welcome at the hotel, but the added benefit of the bike tour – which felt like something shared between old friends rather than a hotel owner and guests, was much better than any paid group tour could ever offer. Jurg offered more details about the people and places we passed, first hand knowledge of living in Bali for years (shared with just the two of us rather than rehearsed for a group setting) and background details on the passerbys (“she’s French, she just arrived in town and she thinks she’s above the law!”).

The bike tour was the very best way to quickly get acquainted with the town on our first full day. And, it’s turned out to be my favorite memory – and story – from our time in Bali.

---------------------
You can find the full post with photo gallery and proper formatting here: Weekend Blitz - Bike Tour of Ubud – Bali, Indonesia
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:34 am

Can one swim in the ocean in Bali? It does not look too tempting?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:43 am

For people like me who fly on Y everywhere, including LA to Melbourne it looks OK.

I try to pick airlines with 32" inch legroom vs. 31". It would be interesting to know if it's 31" or 32."

I wish I had taken advantage of the lower C and F awards. I just had no time.

We have 450,000 on UA but if we pick F awards, it will be all gone very quickly.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:55 am

Turkish Airlines and I think Qatar at times offer low fares to the Maldives; of course in Y.

Is Djakarta worth a visit? My cousin did not like it and a few months ago something pretty bad happened there.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Sanur Executive Lounge Review Denpasar-DPS Domestic Terminal – Bali, Indonesia

After an amazing 5 days around Bali (visiting Seminyak, Kuta and Ubud), it was time to head to our next destination: Jakarta, Indonesia. After leaving the Villa Semana in Ubud, we went to the Domestic Terminal at Ngurah Rai International Airport — 22 miles and a little over one hour’s drive away.

We were dropped off at the curb, then we made our way through the airport and check-in:

Entrance of Bali’s new airport

Good fun dealing with Air Asia and their baggage policies… we had to unpack and repack our bags at check in.

Watch out, while extending our stay in Bali sounded attractive, I don’t think the same would hold true if it were in quarantine

As we made our way through the domestic terminal, we quickly realized that tourists made up a tiny minority of inter-Indonesia air travel. Of the thousands of people traveling that day, just a handful looked to be tourists. Jakarta is definitely not on most tourists’ destination list.

Sanur Executive Lounge
(NOTE: This lounge was in the old domestic terminal which is now closed. The new domestic terminal, open September 2014, is 4x the size.)

We made it to the lounge and, as expected, were able to enter using Priority Pass.

The first thing we noticed was how small the lounge was and that it was absolutely crammed with people. It look pretty fricken miserable.

It eventually started to clear out a bit but it was still quite crowded

Also, on a quick pass the food looked rather sketchy. The only item that appeared to be a safe bet from dying of some foodborne illness was a mango/cheese sandwich.

After closer inspection, the food actually turned out to be quite good and the lounge quickly began to redeem itself.

We sampled two types of Balinese cakes, a rice and chicken dish wrapped in a banana leaf, a chicken and curry stew with rice, something called “Single sausage” with a very weird consistency. In total there were 4 desserts and 4 hot dishes.

While we ate, lounge attendants continually came by trying to sell us 30 minutes massages for about $6.50.

BOTTOM LINE: Not worth the extra fee to get a guest in ($25 with Priority Pass) but it was nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of the main terminal which was PACKED.
---------------------
You can find the full post with photo gallery and proper formatting here: Sanur Executive Lounge Review Denpasar-DPS Domestic Terminal – Bali, Indonesia
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
jmgriffin is back! Awesome ^
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jmgriffin

Watch out, while extending our stay in Bali sounded attractive, I don’t think the same would hold true if it were in quarantine
Guess not...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
jmgriffin is back! Awesome ^
haha, thanks! That is about as warm of a welcome I've received from anyone
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Can one swim in the ocean in Bali? It does not look too tempting?
We actually didn't swim while in Bali. While we saw some people swimming, we just stuck to the pool!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: LH
^
I am pleased to read the report. I was in Bali recently and the airport looks a lot different, is it the same?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b747lh
^
I am pleased to read the report. I was in Bali recently and the airport looks a lot different, is it the same?
Hi, thanks for reading and good eye. I mentioned this is a line of the report above:"(NOTE: This lounge was in the old domestic terminal which is now closed. The new domestic terminal, open September 2014, is 4x the size.)"
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Hi, thanks for reading and good eye. I mentioned this is a line of the report above:"(NOTE: This lounge was in the old domestic terminal which is now closed. The new domestic terminal, open September 2014, is 4x the size.)"
Ah yes, that makes sense. I was there recently and the airport looks very different now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.