Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip Report - AA/CX DFW-ORD-HKG-SGN-HKG-ICN-DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Break out the Dom Perigon Luminous! - 1st Trip Report - AA/CX DFW-HKG-SGN-HKG-ICN-DFW

So this my first trip report. I will be leaving on June 10 and returning June 17. The background of the trip is that my buddy just finished his MBA from UT Austin (hook 'em) so he has time to kill before his new job and I have my own business and get bored.

I've been to HK twice before, but have never flown in Cathay J. My original plan was to try to use miles for the new DFW-HKG direct flight, especially the inaugural flight June 11. But availability was definitely limited. The best alternative was DFW-LAX-HKG, but it resulted in an illegal connection at LAX due to the 80 minute connection time.

So at the moment, my departure flight is DFW-ORD (AA voluntary downgrade) then sitting at ORD for a few hours and taking ORD-HKG in J on CX. My return flight is HKG-ICN in J on CX and ICN-DFW in F on AA. Ideally, if possible I'd like to get a one night stopover in Seoul or chance my flight to get on a direct HKG-DFW.

In HKG, I'll likely stay at the Hyatt Regency TST. I managed to use a DSU to get a suite at the Park Hyatt Saigon.

For a side trip, Using BA Avios, I managed to book J flights from HKG-SGN-HKG. However, I am trying to change my SGN-HKG flight now to get back earlier if I can manage the overnight in Seoul.

Unfortunately, I lost my AA EXP status this year after having it for the previous 5 years. So I have no access to any One World Flagship/First lounges. However, I do have Centurion Lounge (via AMEX Plat), Admiral's Club (via the Citi Exec card), United Club and Club Lounge (via JPM Palladium Card)

I will definitely be posting pictures and updates throughout. Any comments or suggestions for HKG or SGN would be welcomed.

Last edited by krazieman; Jun 2, 2014 at 12:24 am
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
On the way to HK

Woohoo.. finally time to update the trip report.

So I headed to the airport at 3:45 am to catch my 5:45 am flight from DFW to ORD. I wanted to go to the Centurion lounge but that opened at 5:30am. Fortunately, the flight was delayed and the Centurion lounge happened to overlook the same gate so I made it into the lounge.

As you can tell. I didn't take great pics on my iPhone.

I was not able to get on a better flight to ORD nor able to get into F. I had to accept the voluntary downgrade.

Once at ORD, I had an insane amount of time to kill.
So I headed to the Cathay Lounge in the International Terminal.

Decent alcohol selection there.

This was my first time flying a Cathay Long-Haul J product, and I must say I was impressed with it.

A long time later, I finally arrived at HKG. Too the Airport Express to Kowloon. Then tried to take a cab to the Hyatt Tsim Sha Tsui. It was pretty difficult cause I didn't have the street road nor could I properly pronounce TST.

When I finally got to the hotel, my buddy was already waiting in the lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.