Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Rio de Janeiro (TK/CA-J)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:10 am

amazing photos and report^

May I ask how much is the ticket saving leaving CAN instead of from HKG?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:26 pm

Is it really worth going to Antarctica?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
For me, it was totally worth it. You can actually get quite close to penguins and they won't be afraid of you. It is interesting that sometimes they just walk right past you. But each person's definition of vacation is different. For those that believe vacation is about shopping, eating and relaxing, then I would say this isn't really the trip for you. But if you like to explore new places, then I would say absolutely.

Originally Posted by Stnf
amazing photos and report^

May I ask how much is the ticket saving leaving CAN instead of from HKG?
Ummm...this was actually a US airways reward ticket. At the time of booking, there were around 8 seats available everyday from CAN-IST or IST-CAN if you were booking 3 months up to 12 months out and the CAN-IST route had the availability on the dates I wanted to depart.

With the purchase and share miles promotions from US airways, the cost of a J class tickets were either about the same (with share miles) or only a bit of a premium (purchase miles promotions) compared to a normal revenue Y ticket.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Amazing pictures from Antarctica - I envy you

My experience is that TK never has any Spanish/castellano- & Portuguese-speaking F/A's on EZE/GRU flight's, either. I sometimes offer F/A's to translate and it is highly appreciated (shall I get extra miles for that?)...

PDB champagne should be requested on TK - F/A's are normally quite happy to open a bottle and serve bubbles before departure...
Good to know^.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
oh.. my.. goodness! Just got through the first page and the photos are AMAZING. Looks like a great trip, and I hope I can do something like that one day..
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:00 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Nah it's just a bunch of penguins, icebergs and dumb stuff. Hawaii's better, it has tiki bars and ting.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by dttravels
I only had about a day in Rio de Janeiro.
DTTravels, I am "carioca", currently, live in Rio, and must say looking at your nice pictures, gave me the goosebumps! Great shots!...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott Silver
Amazing trip report, enjoyed the photos, you've captured the essence of each place quite well, brought back some nice memories!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:35 am

Thanks for a wonderful trip report!

The pictures in Antarctica are just spectacular.

TK remains as inconsistent as ever, but the new meal services and amenity kits look great. TK still needs to work on its software - how to improve the F/A service and how to make sure that they remain around after the meal services.

Carfield
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:49 pm
dsc

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Brings Memories Back

Thank you so much for your report, DTTravels! I traveled to Antarctica - through the Drake Passage - for my honeymoon four months ago and your photos brought back such wonderful memories! We visited many of the same places but you definitely had more landings than we did! Encourage any FT members who are contemplating a Bucket List addition, to give Antarctica serious consideration (happy to answer any questions). Thanks also for the IST photos...brought back memories of that great city.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
dttravels - Thanks for taking the time to post this fabulous trip report.

Usually, when I come back from a trip, I have a handful of great photographs. Based on what I've seen here, I bet you've got much more than just a handful!!

Looking forward to your next one, although you've pretty much covered off all of South America by this point!!

Originally Posted by lmsalman
It's a Coati, they're everywhere around the falls.
They were everywhere during our last trip to Costa Rica.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Thanks for the wonderful TR, dttravels!
Antarctica is high on my list. Your photos are just amazing, out of this world.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:27 pm

Your photos of Antarctica are beautiful. May I ask what type of camera you used?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to post this TR!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Tk72-ist-can

There is a separate row for business class passengers. All the counters were empty with no one lining up. There was someone that was checking if the passengers were either *G or TK J class. I gave her my ticket and she says to me " Where are you going" I replied "Guangzhou". Then she said to me, you know this is the business class line right. I said yes and she let me. I guess she didn’t bother looking at the booking class. I went to the closest counter. The agent just kept looking at me while I took out my passport even though I gave her my e-ticket. She didn't say a word. She just started typing on her computer and chatting with the other agent beside her. After a while, she says "Any bags?" I said "2" and put then one by one. She then says 2. She continues typing again and then give me back my passport and boarding pass.

Empty J class check-in
There was no mention where the lounge is or even if there were priority lines for security or immigration. Good thing I read flyertalk, otherwise I would assume that these things don’t exist at IST. So I start looking for the priority security. There was a long line for the normal security and immigration. However there was no one at the business class security and immigration, which is completely separate and pretty much linked with the lounge. After less then 3 minutes, I was in the TK lounge.

Of course this lounge is the same the inbound. I arrived early at the airport about 5hrs before my flight. I wanted to take a shower after a full day walking in Istanbul. I went to the concierge and there were open spaces for a shower. I took a shower first to get cleaned up and get rid of my hard earned work. I would have liked it if there was a stronger water pressure but as long as there is a shower, it is more than ok. The water temperature was good.

Shower room

However, I wanted to come to this lounge to eat dinner. I pretty much took everything from kebab, pide, salad and cakes. As the food is from DO&CO, most of it was good. Around 8:30, the lounge wasn't that full. Maybe less than 50% full. Around 22:30-23:00, the lounge was at rush hour just like around 8:00 in the morning.

Dinner!

I got to the gate only when the sign in the lounge had said "go to gate". When I arrived at the gate, it was already boarding with economy class passengers. There was a long economy line and it seems like they had already called J class and blocked it off. I waited a few minutes and there was a guy that just when to the blocked off area and handed the agent his passport and the agent had let him pass. So I did the same thing. There were definitely stares from the Y class pax.
When I arrived at the gate, Y class was already boarding. There was a long economy line and it seems like they had already called J class and blocked it off. I waited a few minutes and there was a j pax that just went to the blocked off area and handed the agent his passport and the agent had let him pass. So I did the same thing. There were definitely stares from the Y class pax.
As I got to the plane, the flight attendant had just pointed to which aisle to go. I got to my seat and already at my seat was the amenity kit. (Porsche Design). I was pretty much served PDB last. There were passengers where the purser had served PDB and remove their cups before serving us our PDB. I was served PDB almost when the flight was about to depart and they only filled half of the cups. The on-board chef then handed out chocolates.

Chocolates

Takeoff was on time which was a bit surprising considering the amount of flights that were suppose to take off at that time. After take-off, menus were first provided. The on-board chef had wished us a good flight. I had noticed that this is the abbreviated supper menu where there were only 2 choices for appetizers. Next, the towel was provided and drinks were taken. Slippers were then provided. Pens were also handed out for us to fill in the breakfast and immigration cards.

Hot towel

Turkish delight

Nuts and drink

For the meal, it was relatively standard as before. First, the drinks and nuts were provided. Canapés were then served. After came the appetizer on a tray. Bread was offered. I had chosen the mezze, which was restaurant quality. I had ordered the soup and this was one of the most disappointing thing from the TK DO&CO food, however it is still better than a lot of other airlines. The soup was a bit sour. I had ordered the beef and while cutting it, I thought it was going to be really tough which is normal for airline beef. However, it was actually quite juicy and cooked at medium well done. It really does compare to restaurant quality for beef cooked to that level and was better than all the beef I have had on planes. Bread was offered again during the main course. For dessert, I had just ordered fruits. The plates were cleared in a timely manner. The meal finished in about 2hrs after take-off, which was almost 3am local time. Bottled water was provided before sleep.

Canapés

I slept till breakfast, which was about 5 hrs. I had pretty good sleep for airplane sleep. There wasn't much tossing and turning. I just think that since I was so quite tired, it didn't matter it was an angle flat bed. When I woke up, an towel had already been handed out. Since I just woke up, I wasn't really hungry but just thirsty. So I hardly touched my breakfast. I mainly just finished the fruits and I didn't touch the cheese. I took one bite out of the scrambled eggs. I didn't have enough to get a comparison with the ones I had on CA but was it is just eggs.

Shortly after, we landed early. I was out of the terminal 30 min after landing.

And that is the end of my trip and I hope you enjoyed reading this trip report.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedRobin
DTTravels, I am "carioca", currently, live in Rio, and must say looking at your nice pictures, gave me the goosebumps! Great shots!...
Well, I have to say that Rio is really "Cidade Maravilhosa" since it really is set in a beautiful setting. Hopefully, I can go there again someday.

Originally Posted by Carfield
Thanks for a wonderful trip report!

The pictures in Antarctica are just spectacular.

TK remains as inconsistent as ever, but the new meal services and amenity kits look great. TK still needs to work on its software - how to improve the F/A service and how to make sure that they remain around after the meal services.

Carfield
Agreed. However, I think the worse part was actually the ground experience at IST. I have never had a check-in agent not mention about where the security or lounge is when travelling in J. Most of the time, there would be a map on a piece of paper or on the back of the boarding pass of where the lounge would be and most of the time, check-in agents would circle where it is. But seriously, no mention whatsoever.

Originally Posted by dsc
Thank you so much for your report, DTTravels! I traveled to Antarctica - through the Drake Passage - for my honeymoon four months ago and your photos brought back such wonderful memories! We visited many of the same places but you definitely had more landings than we did! Encourage any FT members who are contemplating a Bucket List addition, to give Antarctica serious consideration (happy to answer any questions). Thanks also for the IST photos...brought back memories of that great city.
Wow, must be an amazing honeymoon! Actually, I am surprised that I had more landings since it was one of the shorter trips that is offered (by any company). I assume you had less landings because of bad weather?

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
dttravels - Thanks for taking the time to post this fabulous trip report.

Usually, when I come back from a trip, I have a handful of great photographs. Based on what I've seen here, I bet you've got much more than just a handful!!

Looking forward to your next one, although you've pretty much covered off all of South America by this point!!

They were everywhere during our last trip to Costa Rica.
Actually for me, I personally think I only have a handful of great photos. There is still so much for me to learn in photography. However, it does take me a few weeks to select and edit my photos after a trip.

This trip doesn't cover all of South America. There is still so much more in South America. For example, Peru has lots of offer. But I think the next place I would like to go to in South America is Uyuni in Bolivia and the Chilean altiplano.

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Your photos of Antarctica are beautiful. May I ask what type of camera you used?
All the photos were taken with an Canon 6D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.