Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Oslo, Tromsø, & Northern Lights - (MAN-OSL-TOS-OSL-LHR-MAN, BA J, DY Y, SK Y) Jan'14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oslo, Tromsø, & Northern Lights - (MAN-OSL-TOS-OSL-LHR-MAN, BA J, DY Y, SK Y) Jan'14

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: miles & more, iberiaplus, flyingblue, programa mas, NH hotels rewards, Club Carlson, IHG
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks nzed and rosifernan. Glad you enjoyed the TR.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Wonderful photos, bravo!

Tromso has been on my must visit list for so many years, and I am obsessed with seeing the aurora. We visited the icehotel in Kiruna, Sweden a couple of years ago and due to some bad luck (driving for an hour to supposedly the best aurora viewing spot, usually under a 'blue hole' of clear sky, only to be socked in by a blizzard while the icehotel itself had an amazing display) we didn't really see much of the aurora. However even the little we did see was so amazing that I lay out on the frozen rive for most of the night and would dearly love to see a really good display.

I guess I'll just have to go back... but in the meantime your photos were the next best thing. Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Thanks for an excellent trip report! It's always nice to see a trip report from my own country, and especially Tromsø, which is where my in laws live.
Very glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks mad_atta. I was certainly lucky, we could have had cloudy skies for both nights. I am sure that next time I go back I may not be so lucky.

Hi humerus. Thanks for the compliments, and for your first post on FT as well.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I went to Finland to see the lights a few years ago, but only had a compact camera. Your report has made me want to go again but this time with a decent camera!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Fantastic shots of the Aurora. I was lucky to see them in Reykjavik a month ago.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
loved this one
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Hi vanilla8. Thanks, I would like to go to Finland as well at some point, although so far I have only managed brief trips to HEL on the way to somewhere else.

Hi ExpatSomchai. I have always wanted to go to Iceland, although I understand it is a bit expensive. May be on the list of places to go next year.

Thanks jacobitetraveller, glad you enjoyed it.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:57 pm

Makes me want to go there in both the summer and wintertime.

thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Bretteee and shefgab. I hadn't thought of going to Tromsø in the summer. I think my next trip there will be early in 2016, and I possibly combined with heading even further in to the Arctic Circle to Svalbard.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Sorry for late comment, but missed your TR earlier.

A very down-to-earth description of how life/weather may intervene in plans. Having lived in the Northern Lights Area for 10+ years, I've never seen the spectacular fireworks of scenery you had the opportunity to catch on camera. Really Great Pictures!

Lucky for you, weather conditions played your way too, a grey sky reveals nothing of these magic lights.

Bravo!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Sorry for late comment, but missed your TR earlier.

A very down-to-earth description of how life/weather may intervene in plans. Having lived in the Northern Lights Area for 10+ years, I've never seen the spectacular fireworks of scenery you had the opportunity to catch on camera. Really Great Pictures!

Lucky for you, weather conditions played your way too, a grey sky reveals nothing of these magic lights.

Bravo!
Thanks onobond. I was lucky and you Douro see from the photo on the first night I saw pretty much nothing. I haven't got anything quite as spectacular booked for next January unfortunately, but I am going to try and go back in early 2016.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:13 pm

great report! amazing pictures!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.