Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Inaugural JFK-LAX A321 Flight in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by skylady
The new food service should be rolled out February 4th.
What do you mean, new meal service? Can you elaborate?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The new food service should be rolled out February 4th.
So why wasn't this done before the first flight? I would assume that the airline is rolling out a new plane, at the same time new food service would be done at the same time.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
I wonder how overall this stacks up against Delta's JFK-LAX transcon service in J class? price, seats, service, food, amenities, etc.? I recall SFO777 raved about the food on a previous JFK-SFO Delta trip, but JFK-SFO doesn't get the flatbeds whereas LAX and SEA (half the time) get the 767s.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wp_kid
I wonder how overall this stacks up against Delta's JFK-LAX transcon service in J class? price, seats, service, food, amenities, etc.? I recall SFO777 raved about the food on a previous JFK-SFO Delta trip, but JFK-SFO doesn't get the flatbeds whereas LAX and SEA (half the time) get the 767s.
It does.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:16 pm

Whats wrong with Pinot? I guess he doesnt like La Tache.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So why wasn't this done before the first flight? I would assume that the airline is rolling out a new plane, at the same time new food service would be done at the same time.
Because the supply chain is a lot more complicated than ordering pizza delivery. You can't snap just snap your fingers and roll out everything at once.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:58 am

New food will show up in February, please don't shoot the messenger
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
New food will show up in February, please don't shoot the messenger.
How about a new wine list? Perhaps one with actual drinkable wines, like DL offers on its transcons?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:00 am

I shall make a remark about your Pinot comment instead of fawning all over your TR like most here do. Sweeping comment aside, have you heard of a place called Burgundy?
They produce the best Red wines in the world. Sure, you'll need to fork out at least 100 bucks to get a good Burgundy, but they are outstanding.

Likewise closer to home you have California with exceptional Pinot, some say better than France.

I've been lucky to taste quality Pinot (I collect mainly Bordeaux as the regions and classifications are easier to understand) and they have nearly always been something special.

The new AA F hardware looks superb in your photos!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
wow, I normally hang out on the BA board, it looks awesome. I initially heard about the new transcon service in the news.

So promptly booked flights from LHR to JFK onwards to LAX on the new plane.

Bagged F JFK to LAX. Cant wait - thanks for the report.

Any thoughts on the best seats for a couple ? the same row, or one in front of the other ?

Glad to also hear new 'food' which will hopefully differentiate it from the biz offering.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jonathanev
great report - am interested as have flown this route a couple of times in first with the old seats. However with the new seats being flat in both first and business, I'm struggling to see exactly what the advantage of first is. Are the meals and drinks that much better than business - judging from the report it seems not?
They are not, although skylady indicates that this will change next month. As SJC AA notes, more exclusive, more room and an expresso machine when the crew remembers.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
First feels more exclusive, and no one has to climb over anyone to get to the aisle. First also has a more spacious lie-flat bed. And slightly better food. And an espresso machine. That's about it.
I actually think First and Business are more differentiated on this plane than they were on the 767-200.
Agree on the difference with the 762, where the F cabin was directly in front of and visible from the J cabin with very little separation.

I see that the A321 is being boarded through 1L, it would have been nice if they did do it from 2L. Did you get a change to walk around? Was is at 2L a small galley or the start of J?
Apparently the plan is eventually to use 2L. Yes, the J galley is at 2R.

My though exactly.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Because the supply chain is a lot more complicated than ordering pizza delivery. You can't snap just snap your fingers and roll out everything at once.
Except this launch date had been known for months.

Originally Posted by wp_kid
I love AA but... DL transcon BE food is way better than AA transcon First. And don't even get me started on the wine where DL laps the field. Hopefully, the enhanced food that skylady talked about will close the gap. But at the moment, on a straight up price comparison, I'd pick DL Business Class over AA First or Business on transcons.

Originally Posted by Petrus
I shall make a remark about your Pinot comment instead of fawning all over your TR like most here do.
Aw, no fawning? Are you still sensitive about my "I am so done with BA" thread?

Originally Posted by Petrus
Sweeping comment aside, have you heard of a place called Burgundy? They produce the best Red wines in the world. Sure, you'll need to fork out at least 100 bucks to get a good Burgundy, but they are outstanding. Likewise closer to home you have California with exceptional Pinot, some say better than France.
I've been lucky to taste quality Pinot (I collect mainly Bordeaux as the regions and classifications are easier to understand) and they have nearly always been something special.
No, never heard of Burgundy.
But let's get real. Other than champagne, why would AA stock any French wines on a domestic flight to/from California? And while there are wonderful French wines and we have lots in our cellar, I'm just not a huge fan of most French reds.

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
wow, I normally hang out on the BA board, it looks awesome. I initially heard about the new transcon service in the news. So promptly booked flights from LHR to JFK onwards to LAX on the new plane. Bagged F JFK to LAX. Cant wait - thanks for the report.
Any thoughts on the best seats for a couple ? the same row, or one in front of the other ?
Glad to also hear new 'food' which will hopefully differentiate it from the biz offering.
I would definitely go with cross aisle seats for a couple.
You both get your space but can still see and communicate... kind of like 2AK on a BA 744.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by SFO777
I would definitely go with cross aisle seats for a couple.
You both get your space but can still see and communicate... kind of like 2AK on a BA 744.
Great, thanks - duly reserved 5A and 5F - got two trips planned in a few months time - will report back!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
My Feb 9th flight AA19 have this options for lunch in 1st.

Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:48 am

The taste testing will be on Jan 24th, so we will know more by then
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA has had MONTHS to prepare for this, it's not like Airbus just dropped off the A321 yesterday.... I suppose the new service is unique to that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.