Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Spending My Hard Earned Miles on the Suite Life

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
For what it's worth, I'm in the midst of planning another report such as this once the pandemic is a little more under control - Qatar First Class, hopefully from the US somehow, then make my way to Cape Town (preferably BA First) (well, really, First or nothing) and the Rovos Rail to Dar es Salaam. Thence onward to the Seychelles Islands for a week or so. Yes!!! Let's end this pandemic sooner than later! I am ready to go I'm sitting on 1.5 million miles. First Class all the way. Business Class is a poor consolation prize, better suited to unexperienced pikers who know no better. First Class! The only way to fly!
I volunteer to go with you to carry your bags or anything. I am not even picky about which first class seat I get.
Seat 2A and 24.05.2004 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the comments! Eh... I get a little rambunctious after drinking two or three big glasses of bourbon so I should probably tone down my comments on Business Class and those who think it's a great way to travel - in jest though those comments may be - because First Class is becoming increasingly difficult to procure, be it via award miles or good old fashioned cold hard cash. First Class cabins are shrinking or worse - disappearing altogether - and in the future, like it or not, I may have to accept Business Class as the best means of getting from A to B. Emirates is no longer affiliated with Alaska's Mileage Plan and the other airlines in the program that do offer International First Class seem to do so either at the very last minute and/or very, very grudgingly. As one who's logged almost half a million miles in true international First Class since the seventies, I'm really appreciative of the considerably larger amount of extra space and of course there is absolutely nothing as exhilarating as being wined and dined via a six or seven course meal aloft. Here's to SFO777 who continues to keep us up to date on international First via his excellent reporting.

As for me, I can only hope that the worst of this pandemic is behind us within a couple of years, because I'm definitely ready for a proper international excursion -as are I should imagine most of you. Also hoped for for me besides Rovos Rail and the Seychelles are a trip to the Marquesas Islands and a return to my favorite island of Tasmania. I just finished a 6000 mile excursion on Amtrak and am now enjoying a chilly night in Page, Arizona. What better place to reread Edward Abbey's classic "The Monkey Wrench Gang" and so I brought along a copy for that express purpose. And now, it's time for a glass or two of Woodford Reserve, a 750ml bottle of which was selling for only $29 here in Page. Amazing! Here's to Hayduke!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 1, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Thanks for the comments! Eh... I get a little rambunctious after drinking two or three big glasses of bourbon so I should probably tone down my comments on Business Class and those who think it's a great way to travel - in jest though those comments may be - because First Class is becoming increasingly difficult to procure, be it via award miles or good old fashioned cold hard cash. First Class cabins are shrinking or worse - disappearing altogether - and in the future, like it or not, I may have to accept Business Class....

I just finished a 6000 mile excursion on Amtrak and am now enjoying a chilly night in Page, Arizona. What better place to reread Edward Abbey's classic "The Monkey Wrench Gang" and so I brought along a copy for that express purpose. And now, it's time for a glass or two of Woodford Reserve, a 750ml bottle of which was selling for only $29 here in Page. Amazing! Here's to Hayduke!
We will try something different with regard to transatlantic travel this June when we fly with La Compagnie roundtrip between Newark and Milan on board an Airbus A321neo featuring an all business class cabin configured with just 76 lie flat seats. Yep, it's not international first class....but we received a very good deal concerning the round trip air fare for two. I'll be sure to post a review of our flights with La Compagnie when we return from our vacation in Tuscany and the Italian Alps.

And as for the classic novel by the late, great Ed Abbey: Hayduke Lives!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:48 pm

Great. Someone had to revive this thread. Now I am going to have to take the time to re-read it!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yeah, it's a long one... but hopefully some a youse might find reading through it worth your while. And for those of you who don't, I hear ya. It's probably too damned long. But there ya go - it is what it is - and there ain't no taking it back. Thank goodness for the back button where you'll have a wide variety of more currently written and styled reports to peruse. In the meantime I shall ardently await my next First Class adventure....
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:07 pm

Yeah, it's a long one... but hopefully some a youse might find reading through it worth your while. And for those of you who don't, I hear ya. It's probably too damned long. But there ya go - it is what it is - and there ain't no taking it back. Thank goodness for the back button where you'll have a wide variety of more currently written and styled reports to peruse. In the meantime I shall ardently await my next First Class adventure....
I really enjoyed re-reading this report today. I fear that the few remaining F opportunities will simply not be available to me; some of that simply being economics. Over the past 8 years, I've been fortunate to have flown F on QR, BA, NH, TG, MH, UA (international), EY, SQ, CX, QF, AA (international), and OZ. Looking back, I wish I had better documented all those trips. My program is UA and I purchase miles on occasion from AV or AA when those miles are on sale.

Later this month, while it won't be F, I'll be heading to the World Expo via ET (IAD-ADD-DXB) in J and the returning on QR QSuites (which may as well be F). I am going to try to contribute a trip report as I have not seen recent reports for either airline. I doubt I'll match the level of detail found in your magnificent writing, however.

Hopefully you'll post something about your recent train travels. And I am looking forward to your next report of F travel!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:08 pm

I enjoyed this thread
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
Over the past 8 years, I've been fortunate to have flown F on QR, BA, NH, TG, MH, UA (international), EY, SQ, CX, QF, AA (international), and OZ. Looking back, I wish I had better documented all those trips.
Dang, lamphs! I'm envious! That's a pretty good collection of quality First Class experiences over only eight years. I'm sure I speak for many here when I say we wish you'd better documented those trips as well!

That said, here's to a better future, one that will hopefully include a few more First Class adventures for all of us
lamphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.