Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Another great trip report in the making!

"Other than the champagne (2000 Billecart-Salmon and Henriot Brut Rosé), the wine list was the most disappointing list and worst selection of cheap swill of all the major international carriers I've flown in years." - I never get past the champagne list

Thanks

aks120
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Just woke up Friday morning.
Wow, that was one long trek even in F. But well worth it to get to one of the most idyllic places you can image.

The view from our Beach Villa at 6:50A Friday morning:

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Of course you have to go on a crazy trip over Thanksgiving, but can you not post this awesomeness until after I slog through on SK in Y tomorrow EWR-OSL-GDN? Now I'm all depressed.
(As always, looking forward to the report)
Thanks FlyIgglesFly. OMG, EWL-OSL in Y? As the jaded Mrs. SFO says, "I wouldn't go".

Originally Posted by amolkold
I can't wait to load up on turkey on Thursday and follow it up with an SFO777 trip report. I have a LAX-AUH F flight booked for next year with my AA miles so looking forward to it!
Looks like someone got in on the EY Gold match too. Good goin'!
Thanks amolkold. Yup, the old status match. Not that it means a lick on this airline. Unlike on EK, where they know my status every time and welcome me back every time. The Purser asked my if I wanted to join the Etihad Guest program.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Love your trip reports. Look forward to it!
Thank you MAH4546.

Originally Posted by thesly
Ditto, minus the EWR-OSL-GDN part.
Indeed. Thanks thesly.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
another sfo777 trip!!
Thanks yerffej201.

Originally Posted by LM225
Can't wait to read this report, and would love to know where you found Mileage Run-worthy F fares on these routes
Safe travels!
Originally Posted by amolkold
I believe SFO777 took advantage of the ex-CMB First Class fares which are not as great a deal as they once were. You could book a First Class fare from Colombo to the USA for about $2400 one-way as long as you had an AA coded flight across the Atlantic (might have been other stipulations but that was the main one I remember). It is now in the $3800 range and allow 1 less transfer. I believe SFO777 had another trip report with it on EK and BA.
Thanks LLM225. amokold is correct. I booked this just before CMB ticket just before AA canceled/changed the rules. So our CMB-KUL-LHR-LAX-DEN and next June's DEN-DFW-LHR-CDG-KUL-CMB was roughly $4,200 total per person for about 30K EQMs (or 45 EPQs) and 75K RDMs (less than 6 cpm).

Originally Posted by flyhen
and here we go! you mentioned this awhile ago on my TR, been waiting for it since!!
Thank you flyhen.

Originally Posted by sellouts
Excited to be reading an SFO777 TR to the Maldives! We are headed there in just over 2 weeks. Going the other way around the world via CX and HKG. Can't wait, this will be an excellent primer.
O&O RR looks incredible. I was hoping you'd bite the bullet for the rest of us and book something at the Cheval Blanc Randheli though . The 14 day stay minimum is pretty crazy. I know Dec 20 or so is when holiday rates kick in and it is 2x+ more expensive, but I've never seen a 14 day minimum stay before.
Have a good trip!
Thank you sellouts. O&O is gorgeous. Hope you enjoy.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Just returned from the Maldives so will have to live vicariously through you, enjoy!
Thanks sfoactuary.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
SFO777, do you realise what you're doing to this board? In the past we could expect 2-4 TR's a year from you but now there's one coming up every (other) month...Do you ever think about your followers who drop everything they were doing when they see yet another thread started by you, instantly subscribe to it and click on refresh every 10 minutes to see if the new installment is already online...? It's a lot of work you know...
The year 2013 definitely is a Grand Cru Classé in terms of your reports.
Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!
LOL. Thanks very much JohnRain and for your kind comments. This year, Mrs. SFO has really caught the travel bug so much so that I've had to nix a couple of additional ones she suggested. I do have to work sometime.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
SFO777 do you ever work?
Looking forward to this, there's a few airlines in here I should be trying in the next year, plus I love the Maldives!
Thank you darthlemsip. Indeed, I do still work but don't need to be in the office all the time. As long as I have my laptop and Wifi, we can get away for a week or so pretty regularly.

Originally Posted by LH4116
You really produce those reports at an industrial pace, huh?
Anyways nice to see another report from you Mr. SFO!
Though I am a little curious why you spent 25K LifeMiles on the UA flight, when there are much better things you can do with them. Wouldn't it have been better to just book a cheap coach ticket for the DEN-IAD segment?
The EY Lounge at IAD looks stunning for being an outstation lounge.
Thanks so much LH4116. DEN-IAD is beyond "cheap coach ticket" range. Plus, I have lots of LM miles and used miles & $ features so it only cost 10K miles plus $250. Better than the $500 UA wanted.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Here we go again, look forward to the rest! Safe travels!
Thanks Digital01.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
You rat ............I was gonna be going to Maldives before you did.
I think it's time for your own TR Forum. "SFO777 lux life trips"
LOL. Thanks Tony.

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Yup, I really don't know how SFO777 does it. I'm usually half drunk or enjoying a movie during this trips and don't get to my trip reports way later than I want.
Thank you calvinoeh. I'm usually half drunk when I work on them as well.

Originally Posted by Polomarc
Super TR
Like the lounge, looks very classy
Plenty of shrimps, the Thai ones look delicious
Looking forward to the rest, "gobble gobble"
Thanks Polomarc. Indeed, EY did a great job on the IAD lounge.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
When you think "hey it's been a while since SFO777's last trip report" you only need to open FlyerTalk and won't be disappointed. Looking forward to this one!
Thanks so much themapelligroup.

Originally Posted by thespeedskater
Good start!
Originally Posted by sky303
Just what the doctor ordered! A new SFO777 trip report! Great start, and the EY lounge looked pretty nice!
Thank you thespeedskater and sky303!

Originally Posted by FlyingBald
Really looking forward to this already! Hey SFO777, you should pick a pub in London so some of us London people can come say hi!
Thank you FlyingBald. When we have more time, that would be great. Mrs. SFO has this Gordon Ramsey thing, from before he was an empire and we ate at his Hospital Road resto about a year after it opened.

Originally Posted by fieldeng
It's probably too early for this but I bet SFO777 plans to honor SHF by "gobble gobbling" the delicacies on EY F
I tried my best but just can't keep up with SHF anymore.

Originally Posted by farbster
Asking SFO to travel in Y...you might as well ask him why he didn't fly Southwest nonstop from DEN-IAD...and luggage flies free!!
Now, now. We do occasionally.

Originally Posted by LH4116
Doesn't his UA Gold or Plat come with free upgrades?
No UA status but DEN-IAD is probably a tough upgrade for anyway other than a 1K.

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Looking forward to the women (or at least tourists) of the Maldives!
LOL. Good one.

Originally Posted by zainman
Looking forward to the rest SFO777, I have a friend in Denver who is not into churning or miles/points at all and I keep sending him links to your TR's telling him what he is missing out on!
Could you also please give us a breakdown of the flights and how you booked them? i.e, were they cash fares (how much) or miles/points?
THANK YOU
Thanks zainman.
DEN-IAD was 25K LifeMiles
IAD-AUH-MLE was 90K AA miles
MLE-CMB was $245
CMB-KUL-LHR-LAX-DEN and DFW-LHR-CDG-KUL-CMB next June was $4,200

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
It's the holiday and we get treated to yet another SFO777 Trip Report ^
Lounge is looking good for sure with the pre-dining, still begs the question why they have pre-dining for a 12+ hr flight ahead
Happy Thanksgiving to SFO777 and the Mrs.
Considering I just did my "Gobble Gobble" on JAL First on this past monday, there is no way in hell SFO777 can out-eat this bad boy
Think of taking down 75-80% of a First Class Menu @:-)
I don't think both him and the Mrs. combined can pull that one
However he can still honor me by at least having a double though on his flight
Thanks very much Francis. You are so right... no way I could even come close to your records. And Mrs. SFO eats like a bird.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Another amazing TR!

Love the TR SFO777.^^^^^

Not a lot of room on that first United flight !

Etihad looked very nice indeed including the lounges but I was surprised to hear they had a poor IFE system. Seems like a good overall experience though and I loved that Dessert

If Mrs SFO777 ever tires if travelling with you to these wonderful places and in premium cabins etc. and you need a travelling companion............ I'm your man

Will we ever get to see how beautiful she really is?

Pete
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1st celeb citing of the trip as tennis star Novak Djokovic and GF (apparently fiancée) at lunch this afternoon two tables away at the One&Only Rah Bar.

Originally Posted by MPScan
Holy ----. In my next life, I want to come back as SFO777. Part of me thinks that he is just a teenager in his mom's basement with a laptop and some mad photoshop skills, because this can't be real.
(p.s., I don't post much but have been a long time lurker (10 years) on FT and of SFO777's TR's. Absolutely amazing and well done!)
LOL. Thanks MPScan. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by harusadu
Absolute sensational start to any thanksgiving trip in my opinion. Keep it coming SFO777.
Thanks so much harusadu.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Another great SFO777 report to be thankful for ^^^
Thank you eliteraveler.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
And here I thought having a pumpkin pie and a case of craft beer made for a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for bursting my bubble SFO777!
Ha. Thanks krazykanuck.

Originally Posted by Purim
Enjoy your trip. As a BA apologist, my apologies, I am nervously awaiting your assessment of the CCR and A380 F after your lousy experience last time around. Safe travels.
Thanks Purim. Yeah, hoping for the best with BA. Although with my BA luck, just wait and we'll have a mechanical and an old F 744 will be subbed for the A380.

Originally Posted by flyr16
Perfect timing SFO! Pass the turkey and gravy and we are off to the Maldives. Thanks for posting.
Thank you flyr16.

Originally Posted by CXtoQF
Glad you enjoyed EY First! It appears the food was as amazing as on my flight! Enjoy sunny Maldives!! Happy Thanksgiving
Thanks very much CXtoQF. Was really impressed with EY food. ^

Originally Posted by amaroo
Looking good so far......^
Thanks amaroo.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Great report, as always, and good to know about the availability on EY with AA miles. Looking forward to flying them once my US miles become AA miles.
And I think you captured part of your torso in one of those bathroom shots. I was expecting a POS who looked like he required a seatbelt extender with the amount of food you eat.
FYI, some of us are miserable after their TATL Y torture session on SK. IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING.
Thank again FlyIgglesFly. You made me look twice... just to make sure I didn't include a butt shot.
I assume you still have to fly home the same way you arrived? And of course you do realize that it will take at least an hour longer, maybe 2 on the westbound return.

Originally Posted by aks120
Another great trip report in the making!
"Other than the champagne (2000 Billecart-Salmon and Henriot Brut Rosé), the wine list was the most disappointing list and worst selection of cheap swill of all the major international carriers I've flown in years." - I never get past the champagne list
Thanks
aks120
Thank you aks120. Agree. Other than a few sips of my wine, I stayed with the Billecart.

Originally Posted by PETER01
Love the TR SFO777.
Not a lot of room on that first United flight !
Etihad looked very nice indeed including the lounges but I was surprised to hear they had a poor IFE system. Seems like a good overall experience though and I loved that Dessert
If Mrs SFO777 ever tires if travelling with you to these wonderful places and in premium cabins etc. and you need a travelling companion............ I'm your man
Will we ever get to see how beautiful she really is?
Pete
Thanks so much Pete and for the offer. Well, she has informed my that she has no interest in Nepal or Tibet... so I'll be on my own for that one. Also, no more Thailand. Although that's one that I may just go on my own and see what happens.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Two calls to EY before we left and on both occasions I was told that, Etihad Guest Gold notwithstanding, chauffeur service during our transit was not available and that I would have to call AA to "change the ticket". No idea what that meant or why transfer service for Golds was not available on this ticket. I declined to pursue it figuring we'd just take a taxi. But on the way to the taxi, I figured I'd give it one last shot. Strike three and we head for the taxi line.

After a 20 minute 52 AED ride in a beautiful late model Mercedes van, we were at our hotel.

Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort and Spa
Abu Dhabi, UAE

Still needing 3 more nights for my 50 Starwood nights, I booked an inexpensive room at the closest SPG hotel to the airport. Very attractive new facility on the Abu Dhabi Golf Club.

Modest Platinum upgrade to a golf course (or more like driving range) view room. All for less than $160 including buffet breakfast which we didn't have.

The view from our room.

And in the morning before we left, a tour of the lower level.

And impressive buffet spread.

Very nice hotel. We would definitely stay here again.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:04 am

Thanks for the great TR.

I was one day and one class of service behind you on EY. Was on the EY 130 IAD - AUH on Wednesday, 27 Nov in J class. But my winter break next March will be IAD - AUH - MLE in F on EY, so I eagerly await future installments on this thread! The current trip, however, is for business and my company only pays for J so I'm slumming it.

I was very tempted to buy an "Instant Upgrade" at the airport to F, but decided not to and have no regrets. The EY flight in J was excellent. One slight disappointment, on the 27th there was a mechanical problem with the aircraft scheduled to operate the trip before departure from AUH so they substituted a hot spare which was an A340-500 instead of the usual A340-600. I've never flown the -600 & was looking forward to it, but hopefully I'll get it going home.

No regrets about saving my $800 & not buying the Instant Upgrade . . . even though the a/c Wednesday night was the "old" hard product J class rather than the "new" hard product they have on the -600, after dinner I slept continuously for more than 6 hours, which never happens, and when I woke up we were already flying over Turkey. Figured I'd better hurry up & order breakfast or we'd be landing! Really appreciated the toasted bagel with smoked salmon for breakfast. Maybe it helped that there were only 9 pax total Wednesday night in both F & J classes. At least that's what they told me in the lounge at IAD. Not sure anyone at all was in F on Wednesday night.

A few comments in response to your report . . . most of the wines offered in F are the same as in J. To accompany my starters I chose the Terrazas de los Andes Reserva Torrantes and was quite satisfied. With the main course, which was lamb, I chose the Bordeaux, which in J was different from the one on your menu in F, it was a Margaux, Chateau Rauzan 2008, but again I thought it was excellent.

I haven't flown EY first yet, the trip coming up in March to the Maldives will be my first time, but have been in F on EK and quite enjoyed it. The suites/cabins look similar. I'm really surprised/disappointed though that EY doesn't offer caviar. My last trip on EK a few months ago, I had 3 orders of it! Also, while I'm sure the Billecart Salmon is a great champagne, I don't think it really compares to the Dom Perignon they serve on EK. Not to mention an incredible St. Estephe red Bordeaux they offered on my EK flight in F. Agree with you the IFE on EY could definitely be improved.

Had no problems with the chauffeur service upon arrival in AUH. Of course I'm on a full revenue ticket, but when I got to the transfer desk they had a voucher already printed, I walked out to the area of waiting cars, and was off immediately to my hotel in Dubai. 7:05 pm, stepping off the plane into the jetway, 7:25 pm out of the airport and headed to Dubai. 8:25 pm, checking-in at the Fairmont The Palm.

Again, look forward to further instalments on the Maldives!

Last edited by ConcordeOrphan; Nov 29, 2013 at 9:21 am
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks as always for your incredible report SFO777. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:39 am

What hotel did you stay at in the Maldives?

Thanks.

I was told by someone that she found it boring because all you have is 1 hotel on a deserted island.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Another great read! as I am waiting for my last segment (lax-sfo) of a 16-flight rtw on ow.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Oh goody, another SFO777 TR to make everyone's holiday feel inadequate.

Must say though, slightly disappointed but only a couple of lines of United based ranting, I always look forward to your tirades on that subject!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Enjoying the report. Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
After reading your report, I stuffed my face with a 100 pounds of Thanksgiving leftovers in a fit of pure jealousy. In fact, I think my personal trainer wants to have a word with you. You see, Thanksgiving with the girlfriend's family isn't quite as fun as Thanksgiving in MLE.

Great stuff as usual, SFO777. And fortunately for you, AA doesn't allow international stopovers. I'm sure Mrs. SFO be more than eager for round 2 in Dubai.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great reports!

Very nice, SFO777. I am really enjoying this report. It looks fantastic. If you're gonna do a mileage run, this is the way to do it!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Another SFO777 TR. Wonderful, and great photos!

Enjoy the trip.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
I tried my best but just can't keep up with SHF anymore.

Thanks very much Francis. You are so right... no way I could even come close to your records. And Mrs. SFO eats like a bird.
Bahaha, can't keep up with the SHF.
Don't forget that record will be always moving, moving up that is
Well I won't be a contender for that 8 bottles of Dom, but I'm sure someone else could
Maybe the Mrs. is pulling an Obama and sparing "Popcorn", the 2013 Thanksgiving Turkey

I think we need to get the whole gang together again for another 3 class First next year, you and jfkeze on the alcohol front, and leave the food front to me.
The new FT Policy is "No Catering Left Behind"

Originally Posted by SFO777

The view from our room.

Is SFO777 taking a downgrade , ya we all needed stay credits but thought the Mrs. would've at least demanded this view at the minimum

Keep it going, interested in seeing the 1% paradise, I meant Maldives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.