Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving in the Maldives via Etihad, Malaysia A380 and British A380 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Maybe in "Europe" minus the UK.
We would not have that.

Also - haven't seen such a thing in any place in Asia, or Australia.

So I think it's pretty much non-UK "Europe".
I think I've seen it so in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Germany. Sadly, there's often not a 'spicy salami' option, so you just have to order salami and pile on the chilies in oil that they serve on the side.

And, when a menu mentions 'tomato' on the pizza 'in much of Europe', it's talking about the sauce and not yummy slices of tomato (or cherry tomatoes).
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
[QUOTE=SFO777;21912566]Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

What a beautiful and spacious newish terminal...

And a beautiful picture of a dual EXP/ One World Emerald couple!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum,One Harmony Exclusive, Flying Blue Platinum, Emirates Platinum
Absolutely amazing reports!!!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:15 pm

Thanks SFO777

Will be on MH in a few weeks so great seeing this TR.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Great TR. Can't wait for the last installment.
Thanks Crampedin13A. Yeah, that last one should be fun.

Originally Posted by tng11
Wow - your TRs are quite addictive!
I've added EY F to my "bucket list" of F to try out - I'm hoping to squeeze in EY, QF, CX and JL F all on the 300K AA miles I recently converted.
I can only hope my first TR starting next week will be 1/10 as good!.
Thanks tng11. Great use of those AA miles. ^

Originally Posted by kakes88
I will be doing the same EX-CMB itinerary in March (and waste some miles on the way, as by then I will only be AA gold... but class bonus should be alright anyways). CMB-SIN on CX then SIN-DXB-LHR on EK F then LHR-LAX on BA F (A380). I am very excited indeed
Sounds like a great itinerary, all except that last one.
Hopefully, your A380 will actually fly that day.

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Must request the (full) trip report of her visit to (the States?) to meet SFOJr. + photos, of course.
LOL. Will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by amaroo
LOL that thread of yours on the BA board reminds me of the one I did on the LHR CCR!
Fabulous TR as always....^
Thanks very much amaroo. Fun, fun, fun on the BA board.

Originally Posted by ffI
1. The 77W from JFK has wifi, but the 346s are better (12 F not 8)
2. There is a smaller lav up front for emergencies on the left, but I always get 1K / 2K as it is the best location.
3. Agree. The wine list is so so but the food is better.
Feels like they knew local food but not wine from abroad.
I must have had 5-6 of the Billicart-Salmon before I knew it.
Thanks ffI for all your comments. Yeah, we use that small L lav but no where near as nice as the bigger one.

Originally Posted by ffI
Sri Lanka visa. Where did you get it? Did you get it in advance or just close to this trip?
I applied online a few days before we left. App took a couple of minutes and the visa was emailed 5 minutes later. There was no cost.
http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainf...2?locale=en_US

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
Great report on MH and the A380. I was planning on including that flight on one of my returns from SEA next year but was too slow booking it on a reasonable CMB fare. You snooze you lose, I guess.. Maybe one day I'll find an F award seat.
I'm really apprehensive about your day with BA and their A380 as I AM flying LAX-LHR in January. Your claim BA supplants UA makes my stomach turn a little. At least I have the QF and EK whales right after it, so maybe my trip won't be completely ruined..
One other thing, nice reflection in the IFE on takeoff...
Eric
Thanks very much Eric. Yeah, BA and I are just not made for each other. As long as the BA A380 flies, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by greg5
Throughout much of the world, especially in much of Europe, this is exactly what Pepperoni pizza is. In this case the Pepperoni is the red pepper. It's a great disappointment getting a vegetable instead of some nice and tasty spicy meat.
Ah. So that's the deal and not just a catering thing. Now I know.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
SFO777, great to see the MH First, it's a ways better than what I had imagined.
I've been trying to find different F for Mama SHF, she's been saying I'm bored of CX F lol
This at least looks ok for their taste
Satay, is KUL catered, they make those really tasty. I know for a fact that the HKG-KUL satay are double-catered, not sure about LHR/CDG though.
Meal/Snacks overall looks good except the pizza, is the appetizers only one option per guest?
Or you can go for multiple like most other F products?
Thanks Francis. Gosh no, I could have pulled a SHF and sampled them all.

Originally Posted by Moomba
You do things in style SFO777. Very nice report.
Thanks for the detailed pictures of the MH suite it looks like one to try soon.
Thank you Moomba.

Originally Posted by olybeast
Excellent report as always! We are thinking of doing MH F in the next couple of years, it looks fantastic!
Thanks olybeast. Hope you can enjoy MH. It's a great product.

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Thanks for sharing this amazing TR! You answered a lot of questions I have for our upcoming trip to MLE. I'm assuming you did a CMB AOWISC fare home? Creative routing to use the KUL-LHR flight!
We're scheduled for a private charter at the moment on our IAD-AUH later this month, so hoping it holds out! EY's social media team told me we'd have wifi on our flight, so I guess some of the 346's have it?
I was also excited to see pictures of the contract lounge at MLE for the first time--was wondering what it was like and it definitely looks better than I expected.... Was the lounge airside? We have the 1130pm departure, so we're looking at probably 4.5+ hours in MLE before boarding, and as I understand it counters don't open that early...
Thanks DC777Fan. Indeed, it was an AOWISC roundtrip fare. So we still have a return (under the old rules) to use sometime next year.
Yes, not all A346s have Wifi. Hopefully, yours will have it.
The MLE lounge is indeed airside and a quick 2 minute walk to the EY gate.

Originally Posted by MrDplus
Peperoni is Italian for peppers. It leads to lots of disappointed Americans when visiting a pizzeria in Italy.
SFO777, I'm sure you've heard this before, but if you ever need an assistant for your trips, I'm in...
LOL. Thanks very much MrDplus.

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral

And a beautiful picture of a dual EXP/ One World Emerald couple!
Looked great but I'm really not sure how Mrs. SFO got that Emerald on her BP as she doesn't even have status.

Originally Posted by DutchGuy
Absolutely amazing reports!!!
Thank you DutchGuy.

Originally Posted by greendx
Thanks SFO777
Will be on MH in a few weeks so great seeing this TR.
Thanks greendx. Enjoy your MH flight.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 8, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:30 am

What great reports and pictures. MH First on the 380 I agree is really pretty good. Staff are usually excellent though the caviar service is not a patch on Cathay. When are you going to post your BA A380 pictures and service account? We recently flew back BA First A380 back from HKG and it was trully dreadful so looking forward to your account. Best regards.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Real Ossetra? Fantastic!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Great continuation of your TR SFO777 ^

The MH cabin review was excellent and looks lovely. A bit 'boxy' looking but I like that and the colour scheme also looks nice.

However..............who designed the galley and placing it in that position right next to FC and facing east to west as you say

The window seats look like they have a 'blank'. Do you have to lean forward much to see out?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
What a cracking trip report!

Your great effort is much appreciated, but making me very envious

Fantastic pics and a nice writing style, looking forward to reading lots of your other TRs now.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not arriving at cavernous T5 is apparently the trick for a quick exit. It was no more than 10-12 minutes from the moment we stepped off the plane until we had cleared customs and were in the arrivals hall. Unfortunately, our usual driver was stuck in traffic and at least 40 minutes out. So we hopped into a taxi and headed into the City.

To the newly renovated Corinthia Hotel on Whitehall Pl near the Thames and Parliament.

Great staff at the front desk and we were upgraded to a beautiful Executive Room on the 2nd floor...

The view from Room 201...

Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After we freshened up, we headed out to the flagship Burberry store on Regent Street, one of two stores on Mrs. SFO's London checklist.

Check.

And into another taxi to the Savoy.

A drink in the classic American Bar and then dinner at Gordon Ramsay's Savoy Grill. Great atmosphere but terrible food. I'm thinking his empire is now too big for consistent quality food.

We checked out and met our drive at 9:45AM for the short drive to #2 on the shopping list for this trip.

Swim and resort wear boutique Heidi Klein just off of Sloane Square in Chelsea.

OK, this might take a while.

After a successful hour, we stopped in across the lane at CocoMaya for tea and a bite.

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777

A drink in the classic American Bar and then dinner at Gordon Ramsay's Savoy Grill. Great atmosphere but terrible food. I'm thinking his empire is now too big for consistent quality food.

SFO777

100% agree with you on Ramsay's food, the quality of his food has massively deteriorated.

I loved Petrus when it was ran by Marcus Wareing. The service was excellent and the food was top notch. However I returned to Petrus when it re-opened and lets just say I wont be returning to the Ramsay empire anytime soon~~
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
SFO777

100% agree with you on Ramsay's food, the quality of his food has massively deteriorated.

I loved Petrus when it was ran by Marcus Wareing. The service was excellent and the food was top notch. However I returned to Petrus when it re-opened and lets just say I wont be returning to the Ramsay empire anytime soon~~
I'll second that.

I hate the idea of all this celebrity chef nonsense. If I'm expected to pay these idiotic prices then I'd expect the maestro in question be sweating and swearing over a hot stove in the kitchen. Aything less is a bit of a con IMHO.

Thankfully Ramsay has now been evicted from Claridges so it's safe to eat there again now.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Burberry Regent Street is stunning but doesn't have the staff that Bond Street does. It's a little soulless, although often has more choice in the sale.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 pm

The Cognoscenti wouldnt touch Burberry with a bargepole----FAR too'De Trop'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.