Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Turkey for Thanksgiving....with a side of Tajikistan, Serbia, Montenegro, and Moscow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkey for Thanksgiving....with a side of Tajikistan, Serbia, Montenegro, and Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
(NB: my upgrade from C to F is looking positive coming home, 5 seats left and just a few days to go... )
I shouldn't have jinxed it. UGH. Now booked full.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:51 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
Wow, VKO looks very cold & blue.

They have a few of them in this part of the world too, doing cargo runs to Africa. There's an old one just up the road from me, now home to quite a few pigeons:

They're using them for flights to Antarctica still among other things.
http://www.leeabbamonte.com/antarcti...outh-pole.html
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
They're using them for flights to Antarctica still among other things.
http://www.leeabbamonte.com/antarcti...outh-pole.html
Wow, and they let Prince Harry fly on one of them!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Part VI: Moscow, Russia...25 years later

Apologies for the blog link, but there's over 30 photos in this post!

As I mentioned before, the first time I ever left the US/Canada was exactly 25 years ago, when I headed to the USSR on a student exchange program. .Now, 25 years and 146 countries later I was finally headed back to Russia, and a very changed Moscow!

Although I didn't get to the hotel until maybe 9pm, I thought I'd still go for a short wander and find dinner, to try and get a little bit of an impression of the city before playing tourist. .10 minute walk away was Mayakovskij Square:

Which was a little more welcoming in daylight the next morning:

First thing I had planned was to see Red Square and the surrounding area. .It was maybe a mile walk which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but it was -10C outside, and lightly snowing. .No worry, time to walk!

First stop was the Tomb of the Unknowns:

A monument to those who died in Leningrad in WWII:

General monument to WWII, aka the Great Patriotic War:

Heading into Red Square:

Waited in line nearly an hour to get inside, which is free, however, the scam is you have to check your cell phones, cameras, etc, which they get a bit over $1 (and another line) each for. .A picture of Lenin's tomb from the outside, since you can't take pictures inside. .Yup, he still looks dead.

St. Basil's Cathedral:

The rest of the post and pics are on my blog at this link.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Moscow (and Russia for that matter) is on my shortlist, but keeps getting the bump because I never get around to arranging the visa. I'm pretty sure I could spend weeks getting lost in that city.

And now I know not to fly into VKO and get a car during rush hour. And where to stay. ^
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Moscow (and Russia for that matter) is on my shortlist, but keeps getting the bump because I never get around to arranging the visa. I'm pretty sure I could spend weeks getting lost in that city.

And now I know not to fly into VKO and get a car during rush hour. And where to stay. ^
Yeah the visa is a giant PITA, which is why I never did it...but fortunately work took care of that this time.

There is tons to see, and I definitely can't wait to return and perhaps ride the Trans-Siberian to Mongolia...oooh, maybe that's how I'll do Mongolia!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Ugh really gotta catch up - 5 parts to go and the next trip is about to start. Hopefully expect me to wrap this up in the next couple of days!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Part VII: Moscow to Vienna on Austrian in C, Hotel Bristol, and overnight in Vienna

Thanks to inflight WiFi I can be productive and get another post up! Maybe I'll get semi caught-up before I get too far into this current trip...so live from 39,000 feet...

Given my experience getting to my hotel on the way into Moscow, I decided to leave for the airport a solid 4.5 hours before my flight just in case it took four hours again. No such experience this time, and in right around an hour I was at Domodedovo Airport for my flight to Vienna. .Check-in went pretty quickly, and then it was off to passport control and security, which also was really quick. .Soon I was in the lounge with over three hours before the flight - ugh. .Oh well, better early than late!

Good planespotting from the lounge:

A Saravia Yak-42 - not a plane you see every day!

Uzbekistan Airlines...making up for the photo I couldn't get when I flew them back in May.

Transaero and AZAL Azerbaijan Airlines:

Zhiguliy Beer and some tasty cabbage rolls, far from the best lounge food I've ever had, but also far from the worst.

Soon it was time to head downstairs to the gate and join the mad rush for boarding.

Austrian Airlines (operated by Tyrolean) flight 602
Moscow, Domodedovo, Russia (DME) to Vienna, Austria (VIE)
Depart 16:35, Arrive 16:35, Flight Time 3:00
Airbus A320-200 Registration OE-LBQ, Manufactured 1999, Seat 2A

Flight was completely full in economy, but ended up with a whole row to myself in Eurobusiness. .Can't complain. .Taking off right at sunset provided some great views:

So, what's to eat on this short flight...knowing Do and Co Catering, it was likely to be tasty.

But first, a bottle of Austrian sparkly to start things off right:

I broke my "no shrimps on a plane, ever" rule and decided to go with the prawns. .I wasn't disappointed, and they were quite tasty!

Another great view of the sunset:

Landed right on schedule, and ended up with a bus gate in Vienna. .My bags had arrived by the time I got through immigration, so it was into a taxi and off to the Hotel Bristol. .Now, I had quite a bit packed so decided to take a taxi, but was shocked at just how expensive it was. .I probably would struggle with the bags on the train next time. .Even though it was a business expense, it just felt like highway robbery.

Check-in at the Hotel Bristol, and a couple thoughts. .First, it just felt old and stuffy. .Now, I knew that when I booked it and I didn't expect my style of hotel, but everyone I encountered from the bellman to the front desk staff, to the other guests just had an air of stuffiness and snootiness to them. .I was unimpressed. .My request for a platinum upgrade was met with "it's the Christmas season in Vienna, people pay for nicer rooms. .We have nothing." .Uh, ok, don't do me any favours.... .that said, I got a decent room with a nice view of the Opera:

Looks like something my grandmother would decorate.

Turned out a coworker and former classmate was in Vienna at the same time, so quickly dropped my things off and headed out to meet him for dinner. .Based on a recommendation, we checked out 1516 Brewing Company, which was delicious. .I had some sausages and plenty of beer, and we caught up since it had been years since we've seen each other. .Then it was back to Grandma's house...I mean the hotel...to sleep. .The room was extremely warm - around 25C, and wouldn't go any cooler. .I ended up sleeping with the balcony door open (not the greatest idea, since it theoretically could have been possible to climb over from the next room's balcony and there was a warning on the door about this) but it was all I could do to make the room a comfortable temperature for sleeping.

The view in the morning was even better:

Given my experience on this trip, I'll definitely give the Hotel Bristol a miss next trip. .There are other Starwood properties in Vienna, and other than location (convenient to the S-Bahn and Starbucks) there was very little I liked about it.

Got up early the next morning, grabbed coffee, and then it was back in the cab and off to the airport for a new country - Montenegro!

Last edited by ironmanjt; Dec 25, 2013 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Part VIII: Vienna to Podgorica, Montenegro on Austrian and visiting Podgorica

Taxi back to the airport in the morning took over an hour thanks to traffic, adding another 10 euro to the meter from the previously ridiculous fare that I had from the airport. .Can't seem to win! .Check-in, security, and passport control were all a breeze - this is the first time I've been through Vienna since the remodel, and I was seriously impressed how efficiently things seemed to run.

The new Austrian Senator lounge was quite nice, with a good variety of munchies and drinks, but given the hour I behaved and stuck to water and munchies pre-flight. .Soon it was time for the walk to the gate, which turned out to be a bus gate. .Being a prop plane they fit everyone on one bus, and off we went. .Turned out the plane was completely full, except "business" class, which consisted of 2 rows of 2x2 seats, thus 4 possible to sell. . .Felt kinda bad coach was completely full and I had the front eight seats to myself, but I guess there's some consolation to having paid for business class on a short prop flight.

Austrian (operated by Tyrolean) flight 727
Vienna, Austria (VIE) to Podgorica, Montenegro (TGD)
Depart 12:50, Arrive 14:25, Flight Time 1:35
Dehavilland Dash 8-400, Registration OE-LGH, Manufactured 2002, Seat 1A

Takeoff was quick, and I was curious to see what the food would be. .Being a prop, I expected the same cold sandwich I saw economy getting, but nope...it was the full real deal. .Kudos to Austrian and Do and Co catering! .Nice little meat pie, some bubbly, and a tasty desert - not bad at all all things considered!

It's no Dom, but I was beginning to actually enjoy the Austrian sparkling wine, and it worked well with the dessert...at least that's what I was telling myself!

Amazing views over the mountains as we descended into Podgorica:

Very bumpy landing weaving in and out of the mountains, it almost reminded me of flying into Paro, Bhutan with all the twists and turns. .You can see in the picture below how the airport backs up to the mountains:

No jetways in Podgorica, so I got a good picture of the plane as we deplaned:

With that, it was welcome to country #145 visited: .Montenegro! .No problem at all negotiating a taxi to the Hotel Podgorica, and soon I was there. .I guess this is a good time to review the hotel. .First impression wasn't great, the lobby was filled with people smoking, and the whole place stank of stale smoke. .Staff was pleasant enough with adequate English, and I was off to my room in the basement. .Nice enough room, but one small problem...no cooling and the sun hit directly in the room and it was a furnace. .Off to reception, and tried another room. .And another. .And another. .After four rooms, I was ready to give up but the staff (who were very patient, nice, and understanding through the drama) convinced me to stay with the first room, open the balcony, and give it time once the sun set. .I was off to the office anyways, so I decided I'd give it a go.

I mean, the room did have an amazing view out of the lanai:

Work was work, .very productive, and by the time I got back to my room it was indeed much cooler...maybe 22-23C in the room. .It would definitely work. .Based on recommendations from coworkers, I decided to go out to dinner at Sempre Restaurant - Italian was sounding good at this point in the trip, and it had good reviews online AND was a short walk from the hotel. .When I walked in...I was the only person in the restaurant. .First though: .good, there won't be any smoking at least. .That lasted all of 5 minutes before the waiter and another staff member lit up behind the bar, lol. .Oh well. .Ordered a meat and cheese platter to start, along with a 1/2 bottle of Montenegro wine, and both were amazing...and shockingly inexpensive.

Had a small pasta dish and a complimentary dessert along with some limoncello, and I was seriously impressed. .All of this for less than 20 euros!

One thing I forgot to mention about the hotel...the shower was darn scary looking. .It looked like something out of a Sci Fi film, and I was afraid the minute I turned it on all sorts of tentacles were going to come out and attack me. .No need to worry, however...it didn't work anyways. .Only the main shower spout worked, lol.

Up early the next morning to walk in the very crisp and cool air to the office. .A few views of the city on the walk:

Not too much more to say. .Unfortunately I was working during daylight, so didn't get to play tourist too much. .From what I saw though, Montenegro seemed to be a cool place to spend some time, and everyone I met was super nice and helpful. .It will definitely be on my list of places I want to go back to for a much longer visit once I've been to every country.

As far as the Hotel Podgorica, I would definitely stay there again. .I get that the temperature thing was due to local preferences (I'm probably the only person in the world who would prefer my room COLD to warm), and the staff was super helpful in resolving it. .The smoke was really annoying, but based on the wandering I did I suspect that would be a problem in almost any hotel in Montenegro. .One other cool thing about the hotel, is it was clearly the choice of the local who's who. .When I left for work in the morning, there were several Mercedes in the car park, along with a good throng of security goons. .Turns out the President was having coffee with someone in the hotel...can't really beat that for cool factor!

After a good day of work it was time to rush off to the airport and head to country #146...Serbia!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I'll take a cold room over a hot one too
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Nice TR, ironmanjt!

How many languages do you speak?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Four hours is insane. I know there's a train to DME and I believe SVO, I assume no other option from VKO?
The Aeroexpress train runs to all three airports in Moscow:

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:30 am

Out of customs, and my driver was waiting, for what turned out to be the FOUR HOUR drive to my hotel.
Next time try to use Aeroexpress train. There is a very nice underground railway station at Vnukovo:

General monument to WWII, aka the Great Patriotic War:
Well, they are not quite the same. The start of the WWII is generally held to be 1 September 1939, beginning with the German invasion of Poland. Great Patriotic War in USSR —.22 June 1941, beginning with the German invasion of USSR.

Last edited by KVentz; Dec 27, 2013 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
How many languages do you speak?
French well, Russian enough to function, and enough Spanish to usually manage to get what I need/want.

Going to be interesting watching hauteboy and I try and function in Angola, Sao Tome, and Cape Verde....
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
French well, Russian enough to function, and enough Spanish to usually manage to get what I need/want.

Going to be interesting watching hauteboy and I try and function in Angola, Sao Tome, and Cape Verde....
Come on, Portuguese is almost exactly the same as Spanish!*

*It is totally not the same as Spanish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.