Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years In Turkmenistan And Madrid (LH/TK/SN J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years In Turkmenistan And Madrid (LH/TK/SN J)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Part 9

The next week in Madrid was marvelous. We’d rented a cozy little AirBnB apartment off the Tirso de Molina stop in the La Latina/Lavapies area. With this as our base, we spent several hours every day exploring by foot without too much of a game plan. Highlights included a touristy but very relaxing soak at the Medina Meyrit Hammam, a flamenco show at BarCo, and tapas at Bodega de la Ardosa in Malasaña.

The day of our departure it was downright frigid. We met a college friend for breakfast who happened to be living in Madrid at the time. Lil wanted to mail some postcards so we walked down to the Oficina de Correos and took care of it. We’d been planning to take the metro back to the airport, but outside the building we noticed people queuing for the airport bus and figured we’d join them. Taking the bus was quick, easy, and cheap. Recommended for sure.

Check-in was a breeze and we were directed to use the Fast Track security area. The lounge was shared by several airlines and was a comfortable, yet modest affair with nothing more than light snacks available.

All-in-all I found the flight quite pleasant for an intra-Europe short hop. Another flight with gorgeous views from the window. As soon as we leveled off, the FAs served a generous hot supper, followed up by a coffee and tea run.

Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Part 10

Accommodations for our one night layover in would be provided by the Brussels Sheraton, where I had my first stay as a newly minted SPG Gold. Nothing extra to say about the hotel—it was centrally located, comfortable, clean, and spacious. After dropping off our bags we turned around and headed out for a beer at a bar called Mappa Mundo that came recommended by a Belgian friend.

As our trip drew to a close, I was excited for one more thing—our BRU-JFK segment in SN’s refurbished business class on the A330. But it wasn’t meant to be. Upon our arrival at the airport we were informed the plane had gone mechanical and the flight was canceled. $@%*! The best they could do was to route us back through FRA on LH. A huge bummer, no doubt, but we’d still get home that day and I’d get to fly the A346, an aircraft I’d never flown before.

I’ll speed through the remaining pictures since LH J has been well documented on FT.

Thank you for reading!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Nice TR. great photos.

Ashgabat does look a bit deserted in some of those photos though! I wish I knew more people living internationally as I think it is a great way to visit countries.

Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I really enjoyed this trip report - and I liked how all the ministry buildings are shaped like their area of concern. Thanks for the trip report, it sounds like you had a great trip and everyone was really hospitable.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:41 am

[QUOTE=gluedtothewindow;21840707]Since she was planning to sleep anyway, she was kind enough to let me sit in her seat in J (definitely married a winner).

That is true love.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Very intersting view into a place that I never really would have even thought about.

Happy you enjoyed your time in our wonderful city, as well.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:44 am

Great report, thanks for posting it.

I was fortunate? enough to visit Ashgabat in the early 1990's, the change from then until your photos is staggering.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Where did the pictures go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.