Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

United F EWR-SDQ RT & Las Terrenas (Dominican Republic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

So a last minute surprise birthday trip for my best friend's 30th birthday to Las Terrenas (Dominican Republic) happened these past few days. All in all a wonderful trip (and was the final push to get me to MileagePlus 1K for 2014!) and below will share a few things.

As usual I use Carmel (nets 500 miles for RT airport service) to get me from Bowery to Newark. Reliable, on time, easy to use and I've not gone back to Dial 7 in a few years after a few fiascos. If this wasn't a flight before 10am I probably would have taken the NJ Transit out since I only had a carry on.

Dropped off at EWR in just over 30 minutes. I had to tell the driver NO NO trust me I know the new premium check in is not on the lower level anymore (as some of you may know now Premium cabins are on the upper level and Economy and Global Services for United are on the lower level in Terminal C).

This was also my first time using PreCheck (and Global Entry you'll see on the return)...was pretty smooth but really at 7am there couldn't have been more than a dozen people in all 3 lines. Some people in PreCheck don't realize you can keep your shoes, light jackets, etc on.

Down the concourse and on to the United Club (the far C gate on that has the wonderful views of the food court below).
I'm not a big breakfast eater so I wasn't too worried about just coffee and juice but I can't recall (or maybe I didn't stop by on a morning flight) how long they've had yogurts (only raspberry) and these little cinnamon bites.

I wanted to order a screw driver at about 8:30 before I was going to head out and walk around from boredom but no booze before 9am! Though the bartender did decide to stand behind the bar starting about 8am....

I know a lot of people grumble about the new UA boarding process of the 5 zones/lanes. For the most part when in a hub/larger airport that actually has all 5 lanes...I've not really encountered a problem.
After a few bilingual announcements reminding WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR THE NUMBER PRINTED ON YOUR BP the automated system kicked in and we were on.

The flight down had DTV and the new Boeing Sky Interior...I knew the DTV wouldn't last too long given we were going to be over the ocean but we spent about 30 min taxing and waiting to I was able to get watch a bit before turning to the movies (watched Planes which was cutes).

I'm easy to please but perhaps a mix of not being a normal breakfast eater and seeing this again and again I wish UA would work out something different for breakfast. I'm fine if it's the 2nd meal on a long haul flight when it's the typical choice of cereal + fruit, the egg product and starch or French toast...however, on a flight where the ONLY meal is going to be breakfast how about they try to jazz it up a little bit?

Touch down and into SDQ in no time. I got off the plane first and started to head to the immigration desk but they remembered you had to buy a $10 tourist visa when you get there THEN go through passport control and then baggage. I think there was one very early flight in the morning but between JetBlue, AA & Delta it seems the UA flight arrived first as there was no one in line and they had to call 2 officers from the break room to start processing us.

I used DominicanShuttles.com who were fast friendly and easy to set up a private transfer for a large (16 person) group from SDQ up to Las Terrenas (which I found out used to take 5+ hours) that via a fairly new direct road in a normal car takes 2 hours tops...but in our 30 passenger Toyota Coaster bus hauling a small luggage trailer took about 3:30 (45 min being 3 potty & refilling President breaks).

I've been to the DR before in 2009 staying at Casa de Campo where when you're driving through some of the small cities and roads nearly every stop sign, turn or chance you can slow down there are people up and on the windows. We stopped just outside of SDQ to get some Presidentes, Brugal and queso blanco chips. These boys were trying to sell some CDs and things like that. 2/3 of our group are Dominicans living in NY who speak Spanish and visit 4-5x a year, after about 10 min at this small grocery the boys then asked if they could take pictures with us. That was the only time we encountered anything like that. When we were in Las Terrenas they couldn't be bothered by some gringos.

I'll follow up with our stay at Villa del Mar, some excursions & return trip.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Villa del Mar was an absolutely incredible experience. http://villadelmarlasterrenas.com
The chefs were amazing, the property was a private and yet full service of amenities experience.

All I can really do is gloat and hope to come back sometime.

The owners are Euro ex-pats who have been down there for quite a while and also have a bar and some businesses in town (to which we're going to later).

We had booked a snorkel, lunch, scenic boat cruise which would be in Samaná (about an hour drive on a Coaster bus again through the hills).

We were dropped at the dock and then quickly put on a boat which would be shuttling us to Cayo Levantado which is a semi private Island with a Bahia Principe resort and then some other beaches, markets, bars and places to eat.

I was a bit confused about what was going on but I had one goal and that was to relax and enjoy...there were almost 20 of us we had to do the best to just have fun. I think our "excursion tour" was a friend of a friend has a van and his friend has a boat and then we can get some snorkel gear and my friend has a restaurant we can eat at type of thing rigged together.

Snorkeling was really just a swim in the ocean for 45 min...I have been snorkeling and scuba many places and what was 20 feet below us was just a giant plane of sea grass.

But you have fun and make do with what you can!

The Villa comes with staff (maids, 2 cooks) each day so we did all of our dining and partying there...even hired a Tipico band for the night of the 30th birthday.

We did go out to what seemed to be the main drag in Las Terrenas on the water to Mosquito Bar at the invitation of the owner. Seemed that it was the Belgian, French, Swiss, British ex-pat bar with a cover band.

Someone had mentioned before there is a large European community in Las Terrenas as this gives it away and then friends getting friends to invest, buy, visit.

I still have to get home...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Getting back from Las Terrenas to SDQ was no prob given the ease Dominican Shuttles provided.

We had people flying on Delta, JetBlue and UA so I can only attest to UA.
Check-in was easy, a woman in the premium aisle had a manifest with names checking off people in the First cabin as they came in.

There is a lower and an upper food court that is before security. I was convinced in 2009 I had a good time at a bar/lounge behind but everyone else was convinced there was nothing so the group had to putt around down there. Eventually, I was bored and wanted to go through security since I was the only one going out on UA on my own. You go through a passport check, through security and then you have to fill out an exit customs cards. It was pretty quick but I could see it taking a while on busier days.

I was walking to the gate about 30 min before boarding to give it a peep and then I saw the Copa Club sign! When I checked on the *A lounge finder site before the trip it showed nothing. So I approached saw the *A logo and went in with my BP and card and was waved on in by the nice lady up front. I just checked *A.com finder again and if you click First as the cabin class it shows nothing but if you click on Business it brings up the Copa Club.

It was pretty much a quiet domestic UA club. The 12 or so people in it were all on my flight. Had one lady cleaning up and another walking around and for bar service you had to give her a ring on a bell.

Boarding had a two lanes for groups 1-2 and 3-5. 1 & 2 were called at the same time and they made announcements for the others to not line up until # had been called.

Service was quick and friendly...the nuts were not warmed up and in a little metal cup, I was hoping it would be the tamale stuffed chicken with yucca, but this was not bad. The steak option that my seat made had I could not tell WHAT it was supposed to be.
Flight had DTV but wasn't until we made our descent that it had the signal so ended up watching Man of Steel, the 1st part of The Heat and then back to some reading.
Rhapsody is the new premium cabin and what I said in another thread: "Had a chance to look at it today on my SDQ-EWR flight. At least the look and feel was better than some of the stuff you thumb through in Hemispheres so you can look at AP and Richard Mille watches instead of those BEST STEAK HOUSES IN AMERICA ads. Nothing to write home about (but of course write on FT!) but we were already taxing and I forgot to get my book out from overhead."

We landed on time and had to walk up a bit in the 120 gates on the catwalk to Customs, this was my first time with Global Entry and I was going to beat those lines!! I was again the first and only person in there. But, was quick and easy to use, went by the guy next to the kiosks, I only had carry ons and give it to the GE marked lane agent and he asked "How long in DR?"...4 days..."Where are your bags?"...Right here on my shoulder..."What were you doing?"...Best friend's birthday..."Well where are they?"...They flew JetBlue to JFK..."What do you do for a living that you can fly United?"...It was a hardly a price difference and I need to get my miles for status dude!..."Haha okay man get going"
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Nice little TR; I like the pics you used.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I only had carry ons and give it to the GE marked lane agent and he asked "How long in DR?"...4 days..."Where are your bags?"...Right here on my shoulder..."What were you doing?"...Best friend's birthday..."Well where are they?"...They flew JetBlue to JFK..."What do you do for a living that you can fly United?"...It was a hardly a price difference and I need to get my miles for status dude!..."Haha okay man get going"
This is odd. In all my time as GE even doing things like same-day turns in MAD or TYO, I've never been asked a question upon my return, other than "are those all your bags," from an agent who was just making sure I hadn't forgotten them (had only a backpack returning from BRU). Heck even after returning from ACC, I wasn't asked a single thing...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303
This is odd. In all my time as GE even doing things like same-day turns in MAD or TYO, I've never been asked a question upon my return, other than "are those all your bags," from an agent who was just making sure I hadn't forgotten them (had only a backpack returning from BRU). Heck even after returning from ACC, I wasn't asked a single thing...
Profiled as a late 20s/early 30s single, male traveler as the first person coming through them from a Caribbean/South American country? lol

It was done and said with a smile more or less...almost in jest like "Nothing against you dude I'm sure your fine I just have to go through the motions" type of interaction on his end.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Profiled as a late 20s/early 30s single, male traveler as the first person coming through them from a Caribbean/South American country? lol

It was done and said with a smile more or less...almost in jest like "Nothing against you dude I'm sure your fine I just have to go through the motions" type of interaction on his end.
I suppose that would make some sense. Even so I've almost expected it to happen at some point to me by now, especially being late teens/early 20s and often spending no more than 5 hours at my destination, but I'm not about to complain.

Anyway really nice photos again--just scrolled through them again.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Seems you enjoyed your trip to the DR.

I go to Las Terrenas most weekends from Friday to Sunday. I stay nearby to where stayed, in Sublime Samaná. It is a few minutes away if you head West-ward on Cosón beach.

As for that villa where you stayed, I've stayed there once. One hell of a beachside villa if you ask me. It is perhaps one of the most extravagant villas in the country, with the exceptions of some bigger ones in Casa de Campo.

As you mentioned, Las Terrenas is filled with European influence, mostly French, however it still remains original and underdeveloped.
Most affluent Dominicans prefer Casa de Campo... Me I prefer Las Terrenas.. It is the most effective therapy after a long week in our chaotic capital.

I enjoyed your TR, we don't often see mention of the DR. :
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Anyway really nice photos again--just scrolled through them again.
Thanks these are just with my point and shoot I take with me, not my 5D or anything "pro". I have a few rolls of film I'm developing and will update.

Originally Posted by SDQMike
Seems you enjoyed your trip to the DR.

I go to Las Terrenas most weekends from Friday to Sunday. I stay nearby to where stayed, in Sublime Samaná. It is a few minutes away if you head West-ward on Cosón beach.

As for that villa where you stayed, I've stayed there once. One hell of a beachside villa if you ask me. It is perhaps one of the most extravagant villas in the country, with the exceptions of some bigger ones in Casa de Campo.

As you mentioned, Las Terrenas is filled with European influence, mostly French, however it still remains original and underdeveloped.
Most affluent Dominicans prefer Casa de Campo... Me I prefer Las Terrenas.. It is the most effective therapy after a long week in our chaotic capital.

I enjoyed your TR, we don't often see mention of the DR. :
It is hard to say between the two since I've stayed at the Villa here now and also Casa de Campo...being in a large group/family and having 13 bedrooms and a private staff I would have to lean towards Villa del Mar. However, going as a couple or with <5 people I think I liked what I experienced at CdC 4 years ago. Also The Beach Club (by Le Cirque) was GREAT! (if it's still around).
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I suppose that would make some sense. Even so I've almost expected it to happen at some point to me by now, especially being late teens/early 20s and often spending no more than 5 hours at my destination, but I'm not about to complain.
There was also a uniformed officer (not sure if police or Custom's agent) in the jetway when we got off which I don' think I've ever noticed before.
The most in your face deplanning I have had was coming back from Jamaica when there were two agents with two dogs lined up in the jetway that you had to walk the gauntlet through.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Delta, Hilton
Really enjoyed your photos. Having lived there for a good portion of my life it is really nice seeing the photos. I travel to the Dominican Republic probably every 4-6 months. Mainly to Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. Las Terrenas has some very beautiful beaches in that area. I fly mainly AA down there but have been looking at UA. My last couple of trips there on AA were not so good. Business/First class is getting to be a bit disappointing on that route.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:11 pm

It's wonderful to see a trip report to DR! I love the pictures of Santo Domingo as well as Las Terrenas and Samana! I'm glad you had a nice time. It also made me a bit sad as I haven't been "home" for about 6 months now!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:36 pm
Suspended

thanks for sharing, great report!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Nice TR. But am confused about the first photo. What is it about?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duniawala
Nice TR. But am confused about the first photo. What is it about?
Just a photo from the United Club at Newark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.