The Ridgefield Rut: Keystone State to Garden State 4x; Views of the Big Apple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 21st June 2013 to 12th August 2013
Part VI: 2nd August to 6th August

After I dropped truck off in Rochester the receiver phoned up a taxi for me. I waited and waited and finally to make a long story short found out the driver's GPS device guided him to the wrong side of the building. As a result I felt pressed for time. However ROC is a pretty small airport so I checked in, had to shift some things from one bag to another to get the weight right for both bags and at security opted out and received a patdown. In spite of all that the time from being dropped off to being clear of security was only 18 minutes.

US Airways Express #4057 ROC-PHL CRJ-200 Zone 4
Seat 3A Cruising altitude 22,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:00, actual 1:03
Depart: Gate A10 Scheduled 17h49, actual 17h40 Taxi/hold: 13 minutes
Arrive: Gate F33 Scheduled 19h09, actual 19h02 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 11-12 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. The plane was mostly but not totally full. It was announced there were gusty winds and broken clouds at PHL. Pushback was 9 minutes early and takeoff was to the southeast. We crossed Interstate 90 (NYS Thruway) a minute after takeoff then I saw Interstate 390 and at 0:04 I saw some of the Finger Lakes. At 0:06 I saw Dansville, NY and Interstate 390. At 0:10 we crossed Interstate 86 but I was unsure of exact location in New York.

There was a drink run at 0:14 and I got entire can of soda. At 0:23 we crossed Interstate 80 and I also saw junction with the fairly new Interstate 99. I thought I felt descent at 0:26. We appeared to cross Interstate 81 north side of Harrisburg, PA at 0:34. Descent was announced at 0:35 and it was 88F at PHL. I saw the Pennsylvania Turnpike at 0:37. We circled around over the Philadelphia area and on final I saw downtown out the right. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 7 minutes early. After I reclaimed my bags I got shuttle to hotel, had some Flounder at the Philly Diner and spent the night in Essington, PA.

Next morning I hired a taxi to the first shipper in Conshohocken, PA where I was to pick up the first two trucks. I inspected both trucks and moved the one I was not going to get right away to a spot where access would be easier after hours.

Trip: Conshohocken, PA to Ridgefield, NJ 204 actual miles
Make: Ford F250
Model: Pickup Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Interstate 476 - detour to Red Hill, PA - to Interstate 78 to Interstate 95 NJ Turnpike to US46
Maximum elevation: unknown
Gasoline price US high: $4.199/gallon at Lukoil Conshohocken, PA
Gasoline price US low: $3.499/gallon at Pilot Bloomsbury, NJ
Permits required: none

Trip: Conshohocken, PA to Ridgefield, NJ 151 actual miles
Route: Interstate 476 to Interstate 78 to Interstate 95 NJ TPK to US46
Gasoline price US: $3.699/gallon at Lukoil Conshohocken, PA

Trip: Red Hill, PA to Ridgefield, NJ 138 actual miles
Route: Pennsylvania 29 to Pennsylvania 663 to Interstate 476 to Interstate 78 to Interstate 287 to New Jersey 24 to Interstate 78 to Interstate 95 NJ TPK to US46
Gasoline price US: $3.659/gallon at 7-Eleven Pennsburg, PA

Trip: Whitehall, PA to Ridgefield, NJ 106 actual miles
Make: 2013 Ford F250
Route: Pennsylvania 145 to US22 to Pennsylvania 33 to Interstate 78 to Interstate 287 to Interstate 80 to US46
Gasoline price US: $3.599/gallon at Sunoco Whitehall, PA

This was a rare occasion where I drove a non-commercial vehicle that ran on gasoline. I went to Red Hill, PA and inspected and signed for another truck and had it set out so I could get it after business hours. I was told to proceed to EWR and staged the truck in the Economy car park then met up with another driver and we went to Hertz and got a rental car and got down to hotel where we got separate rooms and spent night in Edison, NJ.

Sunday morning we proceeded and I was dropped off at Conshohocken where I got the second truck then the other driver continued south toward her destination with the rental car. I got that truck, got as far as Newark where I attended Grace Reformed Baptist Church. Then I delivered the second truck to Ridgefield, NJ, hired taxi, got taxi, got back to EWR then got to a room in Ridgefield, NJ.

Monday morning I coordinated with another driver who was headed to Ridgefield and once I got word I checked out and delivered the truck I had and we shared a ride together to EWR where I got rental car. She got truck she staged and I left in the rental car en route to Ridgefield. I got message en route so I stopped at the Vince Lombardi Service Plaza, the northernmost Plaza on the New Jersey Turnpike and was told to turn around and head back to EWR as the other driver forgot her Transporter Tag. So I did and gave her the tag and we headed to Ridgefield where she dropped off truck and she then drove the rental car with me as passenger to Havestool, NY where she got a truck for Ridgefield. En route to Havestool we took the Palisades Parkway and stopped at a couple scenic overlooks to take pictures of the Hudson River and New York City from a distance. The other driver drove me to Red Hill, PA in the rental car where I got truck and we proceeded to EWR where she dropped off rental car and got another truck she staged at the Economy car park. We got separate rooms and spent night in Edgewater, NJ where I had a fairly good view of the George Washington Bridge and parts of New York City including the unfinished Freedom Tower.

Tuesday morning we delivered trucks to Ridgefield then shared a ride to Whitehall, PA where we got trucks. I stopped and ate at the Clinton Station Diner in Clinton, NJ. Large trucks are not allowed there but I was happy with the food and service. Then I proceeded and delivered truck after hours and notified the shipper. The other driver was having delivered her truck. A driver came, picked us up, took the other driver to hotel near LGA so I got another look at the Big Apple. The sun was starting to set as we crossed the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. I was told the next trip would be Wharton, NJ to Rochester, NY. I spent the night in Parsippany, NJ.

END OF POST

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 30, 2013 at 12:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.