Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The South American Altiplano (LA Y, Z8 Y, AA Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The South American Altiplano (LA Y, Z8 Y, AA Y)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:50 am

Truly epic. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
mad_atta, thanks for reading! Actually the total cost wasn't too bad, especially if you plan on using miles and staying in hostels and cheaper hotels. Food wasn't terribly expensive either. Lemme know if you need any info.

Thanks for reading anyludes and dickerso!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Great trip report - really interesting. Can I ask how you made the picture of someone 'floating' above the flats? You looked like you had a lot of fun there!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

BigEyedFish, haha yeah a lot of people have asked me if that picture is real or if it has been photoshopped. I can assure you that it has not been photoshopped and it is definitely real.

All I had to do was jump as high as I could into the sitting position, and my friend had to take the picture at exactly the right moment. We needed about 7 or 8 tries before she was able to capture the picture that I posted.

I think the reason why it looks so unbelievable is mainly due to the shadow. There's a bit of an optical illusion going on, because the shadow is actually in the foreground, and it makes me look like I'm really high up in the air, when I'm not. Now, granted, I'm about 6 feet tall and I do get fairly good air, so even though I'm not that high up, I can still jump to a pretty good height

I've included a few other shots in the series to show how it was done:

Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta
Your photos and writing style are captivating. I can't believe I read the whole
trip report :~))

I was surprised to see how crowded the destinations were that you went to visit.
No matter how difficult the trip there always seemed to be crowds of other
tourists. Did this ever bother you ? Did you know it would probably be this way before you left ?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reading Loose Cannon!

@peachman, I'm actually amazed that anyone can read through the whole thing haha. Even I have trouble doing that

I'm curious which destinations in particular looked crowded? I felt like Salar de Uyuni and the Bolivian Altiplano was one of the most desolate places I've ever been to. At times, we would be driving for hours on end and not see another soul. At the major sights, like the Salar, and some of the lakes, we would see other tour groups, but even then it was never crowded... except for maybe the hot spring on the last day. In the cities and towns, there were of course always lots of people, which is to be expected. Lauca National Park was completely empty everywhere I went. The trails, the viewpoints, and even Parinacota. So I think it just depends on where you go.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta
Glu800,
Not exactly Crowded,but when I saw the pictures of of your days on the salt
flats you showed the caravan of other tourists. Call me a dreamer but it spoiled
the image,LOL.

Just a point of reference,every Fall I go to N NV or ID and hunt birds with my
dogs. Besides seeing my dogs work, I love hiking the desert mountains for days
and never seen another person. I guess my Expectations after reading your
itinerary was quite different from the reality ??

Regardless, your trip was a Great Adventure and I sure you will treasure the
memories for the rest of your life.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Haha, yeah I understand what you're saying. If your point of reference is hiking alone in the desert mountains for days, then this would probably be considered crowded. Like I mentioned in the TR, we had 2 Land Rovers in our tour group with a total of 11 passengers. So yeah, we were definitely not alone. And at the main sights, we'd see other tour groups as well.

If you're really adventurous, you could probably rent a 4x4 and go out into the Altiplano on your own, though I definitely wouldn't want to get lost out there!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Tremendous report.
Thanks for the immense effort that went into writing this - I am planning a similar trip so it will be quite helpful.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:11 pm

I rarely post on here but had to log in to tell you how much I enjoyed your trip report. Definitely my favourite TR. Absolutely brilliant. Well written and excellent photos.

I really want to go to Peru and Chile now. Thanks again!

Adam
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:17 pm

WOW, WOW, WOW! What a report. I love the effort and detail you put into it. It is always very interesting to see parts of the world you never knew existed. Thank You.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:07 am
Original Poster

DWFI, TrafficPilot, and isaifan, thanks so much for the kind words. Some of these trip reports take me months to write, and at times, I wonder why the heck I'm putting in all these hours! But seeing your comments definitely make it all worth it. I'm glad I could share my experiences and maybe help make planning for others a little easier
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, FL Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
WOW!! Simply, one of the best Trip Reports I've ever read on this site!

I spend a lot of time reading/lurking on this site and rarely post, but after reading your report I felt compelled to tell you what an amazing job you did and how captivating the entire read was. As another commenter mentioned, it gets a little monotonous reading about First Class travel all the time, and your report was very refreshing and eye-opening. Thanks for being so thorough and informative as it's always interested me in visiting Chile, Peru, and Bolivia someday. If/when I do go to plan my trip down to S. America, I'll definitely have to come back and read thru your report again to get ideas.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sprezzatura09
WOW!! Simply, one of the best Trip Reports I've ever read on this site!

I spend a lot of time reading/lurking on this site and rarely post, but after reading your report I felt compelled to tell you what an amazing job you did and how captivating the entire read was. As another commenter mentioned, it gets a little monotonous reading about First Class travel all the time, and your report was very refreshing and eye-opening. Thanks for being so thorough and informative as it's always interested me in visiting Chile, Peru, and Bolivia someday. If/when I do go to plan my trip down to S. America, I'll definitely have to come back and read thru your report again to get ideas.
sprezzatura09, thanks for reading and for your comments! When you decide to plan your S. America trip, lemme know if you have any questions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.