Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Germany 2013: Roman things, Churches, & the World in Miniature (LH&OS C)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany 2013: Roman things, Churches, & the World in Miniature (LH&OS C)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Thanks everyone for the nice responses.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: Miles & More;
Great Report and really Impressive pictures.
I especially enjoyed those you took Inside the churches - did you use HDR for them?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

it's a mix, some are HDR and some are not. The OM-D EM-5 has a pretty wide dynamic range sensor.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Now that is one great TR -- have known it was coming, have watched here for it frequently, and now it's here it does not disappoint in any way. Beautiful and informative. Thank you so much Glenn for sharing.

The Romans were just so advanced, even if they could not impose their civilization on the Germanic tribes permanently. I find that glass especially fascinating, my eyes were first opened to it in Cologne also. If you ever get to L.A., I think you'd enjoy a day at the Getty Villa in Malibu -- they have one room of nothing but Roman glass, many exquisite examples, not to mention all of the great portrait busts and many other attractions there.

Thanks again, I really, really enjoyed your report, and you did a big service to many people here.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I visited the Getty about 20 years ago and really did enjoy it. I don't remember a glass room, but it may have been added since I was there. It is a great museum for sure.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:28 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Fantastic pictures. I toured the Roman sites in Cologne and Mainz a few years ago, missed Trier and always regretted it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Stunning pictures, it must have taken an age to format and post, let alone edit and review the originals. Thanks for an enjoyable report.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:50 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Great TR, GREAT pics!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattyw
Stunning pictures, it must have taken an age to format and post, let alone edit and review the originals. Thanks for an enjoyable report.
Thanks for appreciating that. I shot about 4000 photos and just finished editing them a few weeks ago. I managed to whittle that down to about 600 pictures. I wrote most of the narrative as the trip went along so that helped quite a lot. I'd never be able to remember everything a couple of months later otherwise. Selecting and embedding the photos into the report does take a while because of the way Picasaweb structures the links so I have to strip out a lot of stuff when putting them into the tags. But that part only took 6 or 7 hours. Knowing now that you are limited to 20 pictures per post also helps when I put the whole thing together to figure out where to put the breaks.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Thanks. I visited the Getty about 20 years ago and really did enjoy it. I don't remember a glass room, but it may have been added since I was there. It is a great museum for sure.
Glenn, 20 years ago was the original Villa; the renovation that opened a few years ago gave them vastly more space to show what they have, or have acquired since then, and beautifully organized too. I also don't recall a separate room for glass from 20 years ago, if they had it then it was scattered about if even on display at all. If Rome is your passion -- or Greece or Etrusca etc. -- you'll hardly recognize the place and will be floored. Nothing like it in the USA. I'd also watch their programming, they host some great special exhibits, and present an ancient play once a year in early September, in their little outdoor amphitheater, with different visiting groups, often spectacular.

So come back, I'll meet you there for lunch. Meanwhile your own TR is unique, a gift to this site, thanks again so much for that from someone who may never get to all those German treasures but you've reminded me to try.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Thank you

Glenn. This trip report must have taken you ages to put together. It's great and thanks very much for taking the time. Reading through it and seeing the superb pictures, I want to go and do it myself. Thanks.^
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Glenn, thanks so much for a brilliant trip report. Great integration of photos and text. You have opened my eyes to corners and sights of Germany that I didn't realize existed and inspired my future travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.