Highland Fling - Driving Round Northwest Scotland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold

Introduction

My current employer has a rather generous expat policy which includes, at certain points in my contract, them paying for my family and me to travel back to my home country for a two week break.

The purpose of this trip was to catch up with friends and family in week one and then, in week two, spend a few days driving round the Scottish Highlands and taking in some of the amazingly beautiful roads and scenery.

The travel arrangements were as follows:

Fly Munich-Heathrow with BA
Spend time in south west England with family and friends
Fly Bristol-Inverness with Easyjet
Spend 3 days driving round the west coast of Scotland and taking in the sights
Return flight back to Bristol and then fly to Munich the following day

This trip report will focus on our jaunt round the Highlands with a fairly brief overview of our flights.

I spent quite a lot of time planning our driving route around north-west Scotland. This involved numerous hours spent on Google maps and speaking with people who either live up there or have driven extensively in the area. After narrowing down the various options the route was finalised. The total distance would be around 690 miles and involve three overnight stops.

Planned route
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
MUC-LHR

One of the things I love about living in Germany is the efficiency of the public transport. Mrs Wooster and I live a short walk from an S-Bahn station and it only takes around 45 minutes to get to Munich airport.

After an uneventful S-Bahn journey to airport we breezed through check-in, passport control and security before heading off to BA’s small, but more than adequate, Galleries Lounge. The lounge was pretty quiet, which has been my experience every time I have been in it so far. There was a fairly good selection of food and drink available.

Lounge buffet area

After an hour or so boarding was called and we made our way down to the gate. While priority boarding was in operation it didn’t make any difference as we were all herded onto a bus before heading off to where the aircraft was located.

View from 1A

View of the Alps shortly after take off

As our flight was a mid-morning one brunch was served - I went for the ham and cheese croissant, pastries and fruit selection. Mrs Wooster had the gluten free option which looked ok.

Gluten free meal

On arrival at LHR we quickly made our way through immigration, using the e-passport gates, and headed down to the Heathrow Express ticket office. Prior to travelling we had purchased a Britrail pass which gave us unlimited rail travel throughout the west of England (including Heathrow Express). The Heathrow Express staff activated our passes and we were good to go.

It took 15 minutes for us to get into London Paddington from LHR. After a short wait we were on a First Great Western train service to the West Country.

Last edited by BertieWooster; Jun 15, 2014 at 3:06 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

BRS-INV

Our trip from Bristol to Inverness nearly ended in disaster as I mixed up Central European Time with Greenwich Mean Time on the day of our trip. It was only when we got to Bristol Airport I realised that, instead of being well over an hour early for our flight, we had less than 15 minutes before the flight was due to depart. This resulted in a comedy run to security where the automated ticket scanning machine initially refused to let us pass. However, a nearby member of staff overrode the system and let us through - with a gentle warning to arrive earlier next time. However, we weren’t out of the woods yet as we had to fight our way through the X-ray machines and scanners. After what seemed like ages we were through and so began another mad dash along the airport’s seemingly endless corridors to our gate. On arrival we found that the incoming Easyjet flight had been delayed and, as a result, we had to wait 15 minutes or so before boarding started. This was good as it allowed us both to catch our breath and make a mental note to always triple-check what time zone we were in!

For those of you who don’t know, Easyjet is a low cost carrier with very few frills. You have to pay for things like priority boarding, seats with extra legroom, food, etc. As you can see from the photo below, legroom was somewhat limited. However, the good thing is that the seats did not recline so there was no danger of my kneecaps getting smashed.

Legroom on board our Easyjet flight to Inverness

Easyjet had a reasonably good selection of food for the relatively short flight. Mrs Wooster went for a healthy snack box selection whereas I went for a cheese and ham toastie, crisps and Orangina.

Mrs Wooster’s snack box

After an hour and a half in the air we landed at Inverness Airport. The airport is fairly small and, within a couple of minutes of disembarking, we were at the Avis rental office collecting our vehicle. Avis were pretty good and gave me a brand new BMW 1 series that only had a few hundred miles on the clock. We were soon on our way and our Highland trip had officially commenced.

Inverness Airport

BMW rental car
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Highland Road Trip

Day 1 - Inverness to Glencoe

We left Inverness Airport and headed out down the A82, past Loch Ness, and through Fort William before taking the A85 east for a few miles. We then went back onto the A82 and headed north through the magnificent Glen Coe. The scenery was fantastic and traffic was very light indeed which meant I was able to make full use of the rental car’s performance.

Heading towards Glen Coe

Glen Coe

Waterfall in Glen Coe

We spent the night at the Clachaig Inn, which seemed to be very popular with walkers and climbers. The place was pretty packed but the atmosphere was good.

Clachaig Inn
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Day 2 - Glencoe to Ullapool via Eilean Donan castle and the Applecross Peninsula

Our second day involved a fairly early start as we wanted to visit Eilean Donan before heading off to the Applecross Peninsula. The drive from Glen Coe to the castle was great - the roads were really quiet and the scenery was superb.

Commando Memorial

En-route to Eilean Donan Castle

Eilean Donan Castle

After a quick tour round the castle we were back in the car and heading off towards the Applecross Peninsula. The road around the peninsula is pretty narrow, very winding and has some pretty steep gradients. I think the warning sign speaks for itself:

Driving towards the summit of Bealach na Ba

After a short stop for lunch at the Applecross Inn we carried on round the peninsula. The weather varied on the route - around some headlands it was raining and then, after a few minutes drive, the weather would change and the sun would be out.

Highland Cattle

Carrying on round the Applecross Peninsula

After we had driven round the peninsula we headed north along the A892 and then A832 towards Ullapool, taking in the breathtaking scenery and stopping off at the Falls of Mesach. As we kept heading north the roads became more and more deserted - on many occasions ours was the only vehicle around.

UK Ministry of Defence Navy Fuel Depot

Some of the scenery along the A896 and A832

The Falls of Mesach - looking down from the pedestrian suspension bridge

Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Day 3 - Ullapool to Tongue

The weather on day three was pretty atrocious - it rained pretty much non-stop and visibility wasn’t particularly good. After spending the night at the pretty unremarkable Royal Hotel in Ullapool we carried on north up the A835 before heading off along the A837 towards Lochinver and then taking the B869 towards Stoer Head lighthouse and on towards the A894 and Kylesku Bridge.

Stoer Head

Stoer Head Lighthouse

Derelict boat

After stopping for lunch at the Kylesku Bridge we pressed on north again along the A838 towards Durness.

Rural police station in Rhiconich

The beach at Durness looked great. However, despite what the photos look like, the weather was awful - the rain was hammering down and it was pretty windy.

A mile or so east of Durness we stopped off at Smoo Cave. Normally you can take a boat tour into the cave. However, due to the amount of rain it wasn’t safe as the water inside was rising rapidly.

Entrance to the cave

We carried along the A838 towards Tongue where we stayed overnight in the Tongue Hotel. Our stay, although short, was fantastic. The staff were excellent, really friendly and immediately made us feel at home. Our room was fantastic and we had a really good view of Castle Varrich. The food - both dinner and breakfast - was excellent. Due to it being off-season there were only four guest at the hotel so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. We would definitely stay there again and certainly recommend it as a great place to stay.

Heading towards Tongue

Rush hour in the Highlands

Tongue Hotel

Bedroom

Evening meal

Breakfast
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Day 4 - Tongue to Inverness

On our final day we headed south from Tongue along the A836 towards Bonar Bridge. For me this was probably the most beautiful part of the whole trip. The scenery was fantastic and the roads were empty. It was driving paradise and, very sadly, this part of the trip was over far too soon.

After Bonar Bridge, we hit the A9 (which seemed like one long queue of traffic compared to the roads we had spent the past three days on) and headed back to the airport.

INV-BRS

After dropping our rental car off we went through security and, after waiting an hour or so, boarded our packed flight back to Bristol.

LHR-MUC

Our return flight to MUC was uneventful so I won’t go into any further detail as I don’t want to bore people any further . I’ll just include a couple of random photos to finish off. I hope you enjoyed reading this trip report and, as always, comments are welcome.

American Airlines aircraft at LHR (I really like the new-ish logo)

On approach to MUC
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I enjoyed that. ^
The wife and I did a similar road trip last year starting and ending in Glasgow. Amongst the best holidays we've ever had...the open Scottish road during off season cannot be beaten. We chose to stay in good B&B's rather than hotels but shall keep the Tongue Hotel in mind for the next time.

Great pictures which have made me feel homesick.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I enjoyed that. ^
The wife and I did a similar road trip last year starting and ending in Glasgow. Amongst the best holidays we've ever had...the open Scottish road during off season cannot be beaten. We chose to stay in good B&B's rather than hotels but shall keep the Tongue Hotel in mind for the next time.

Great pictures which have made me feel homesick.
Thanks for the feedback HIDDY. Although our trip was short, it was one of the best vacations we have been on. We definitely want to do it again but take longer next time and also take in some of the islands.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:16 pm

I've only been back from Barra a couple of weeks and now you've got me further convinced I need to explore more of the mainland as well... whilst I enjoy trip reports from far-flung destinations it's interesting to see what others make of your back yard too. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:10 pm

Thank you for your tr. It looked wonderful. We have done parts of your trip and look forward to more travels around that part of Scotland. It takes us longer as we like to spend a week or so, over several years,
in each location. I have to say that we have never done our travels in a car like your car!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great trip!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:59 am

Maybe I missed it but what time of year was your trip?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FatFishJeff
Maybe I missed it but what time of year was your trip?
We went in the second week of April as we wanted to avoid the main holiday periods as well as midge season.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BertieWooster
We went in the second week of April as we wanted to avoid the main holiday periods as well as midge season.
Thanks...we have friends in Gourock & are planning a trip for next year..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.