FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Highland Fling - Driving Round Northwest Scotland
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:26 am
BertieWooster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
BRS-INV

Our trip from Bristol to Inverness nearly ended in disaster as I mixed up Central European Time with Greenwich Mean Time on the day of our trip. It was only when we got to Bristol Airport I realised that, instead of being well over an hour early for our flight, we had less than 15 minutes before the flight was due to depart. This resulted in a comedy run to security where the automated ticket scanning machine initially refused to let us pass. However, a nearby member of staff overrode the system and let us through - with a gentle warning to arrive earlier next time. However, we weren’t out of the woods yet as we had to fight our way through the X-ray machines and scanners. After what seemed like ages we were through and so began another mad dash along the airport’s seemingly endless corridors to our gate. On arrival we found that the incoming Easyjet flight had been delayed and, as a result, we had to wait 15 minutes or so before boarding started. This was good as it allowed us both to catch our breath and make a mental note to always triple-check what time zone we were in!

For those of you who don’t know, Easyjet is a low cost carrier with very few frills. You have to pay for things like priority boarding, seats with extra legroom, food, etc. As you can see from the photo below, legroom was somewhat limited. However, the good thing is that the seats did not recline so there was no danger of my kneecaps getting smashed.

Legroom on board our Easyjet flight to Inverness

Easyjet had a reasonably good selection of food for the relatively short flight. Mrs Wooster went for a healthy snack box selection whereas I went for a cheese and ham toastie, crisps and Orangina.

Mrs Wooster’s snack box

After an hour and a half in the air we landed at Inverness Airport. The airport is fairly small and, within a couple of minutes of disembarking, we were at the Avis rental office collecting our vehicle. Avis were pretty good and gave me a brand new BMW 1 series that only had a few hundred miles on the clock. We were soon on our way and our Highland trip had officially commenced.

Inverness Airport

BMW rental car