Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 1:01 am

Welcome back!

Hey Kevin, good to have you back, and good to see you're enjoying your Oneworld flying now (of course, an op-up isn't going to hurt!).

Good to see some IT Crowd on the GhettoIFE. Since switching most of my flying to SkyTeam I've discovered that KLM put an episode of IT Crowd on their AVOD, and of course there's smoked almonds on every long haul flight. Yum.

And you've not been completely unsuccessful in spreading the GhettoIFE gospel:
Old May 3, 2013, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by NoY
Another enjoyable report Kevincm!
Thanks NoY, I still try to entertain

Originally Posted by NoY
YYZ seems ace for op-ups, & even double op-ups - congrats
I'm still not sure what was smiling on me that day, but an opup is always something to enjoy. A double opup... even better.

Shame the airport is a bit pants...

Originally Posted by Weean
Hey Kevin, good to have you back, and good to see you're enjoying your Oneworld flying now (of course, an op-up isn't going to hurt!).
Thanks Weean. It's good to be back in the air after a big period of uncertainty in my life.

An OpUp doesn't hurt and just further endures you to an airline or alliance (probably part of the reason why I stuck with United for so long after they opup'd me from LHR-ORD once)

Good to see some IT Crowd on the GhettoIFE. Since switching most of my flying to SkyTeam I've discovered that KLM put an episode of IT Crowd on their AVOD, and of course there's smoked almonds on every long haul flight. Yum.
As a member of the "Have you tried switching it off and on" brigade, I'm more convinced the show is a drama, not a comedy.

Good to see KLM treating you well though. I might try ScaryTeam when my current BA Gold turns to Silver and finally rust

And you've not been completely unsuccessful in spreading the GhettoIFE gospel:

Well it fills in a quiet part of the flight

Thanks Weean
Old May 3, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: FT
nice TR. lounge staff at YYZ was outstanding when I was there last. a buddy has noted that both to and from YYZ he has been op'd to F from CW more often than he has flow in CW. they really sell the crap out of Y on this route and i suspect, everyone shows up all the time also.

my wife thinks your nuts with the IFE set up and was just rolling her eyes as I was LOL at the same as it always cracks me up.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
nice TR.

Thanks mkjr.

lounge staff at YYZ was outstanding when I was there last. a buddy has noted that both to and from YYZ he has been op'd to F from CW more often than he has flow in CW. they really sell the crap out of Y on this route and i suspect, everyone shows up all the time also.
It seemed to be a lively outstation when I got the YYZ - the fact the staff can make the judgment call to change a seat if needed is a good thing that allows them to be flexible.

And opup a person occasionally is a nice present to get
my wife thinks your nuts with the IFE set up and was just rolling her eyes as I was LOL at the same as it always cracks me up.
I try to provide amusement when I travel. My reasons for a Personal IFE system are simple: Some IFE setup's are goddanmawful in terms of use and content. Therefore I use my own device. I could use a Tablet (or my Craplet that seems to want an fresh android build each time I turn the thing on), but the phone is the right size most of the time.

That and putting it in a sick bag was a stroke of genius. You'll always find one on a plane...
Old May 3, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Great report, wonderful photos.

As I was born and bred in Chicago, I loved all the photo's from the El.

thanks,
Old May 3, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Kevincm,

What a treat to read your report. Great photos and prose! I must admit that in all those years of flying, I haven't noticed that sick bags have such a sophisticated plastic "interior" .
Old May 3, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Ahhh, the double upgrade.

I recieved on flying from JNB-LHR. That was my first time riding upstairs on a 747. Thanks for bringing back a nice memory.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am sorry, I think there is something wrong with the last part of your report. It appears to be someone else's trip where they were travelling in business class.

Entertaining as ever Kevincm
Old May 3, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Fun report. Nice to see your comments on my hometown.

If you'd like to grab a beer sometime on your next trip to Chicago, send me a PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Thanks, a good TR, and slightly sated my wander lust (only around six weeks after my last US trip - I think it only makes it worse!).
The Y catering on AA didn't look half bad.
Hope your conference in Chicago was good too!
Old May 4, 2013, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Great report, wonderful photos.

As I was born and bred in Chicago, I loved all the photo's from the El.

thanks,
Thanks LongingForORD. As I'm normally constrained by public transport when I travel, finding a creative way to make a journey more interesting is one of my challenges. Glad you liked the pictures

Originally Posted by CzeSEN
Kevincm,

What a treat to read your report. Great photos and prose! I must admit that in all those years of flying, I haven't noticed that sick bags have such a sophisticated plastic "interior" .
Thanks CzeSEN, glad you enjoyed.

Not all sick bags have high tech innards though. Be careful when selecting a sick bag, and if it doesn't have the right innards, please contact a member of inflight team.

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Ahhh, the double upgrade.

I recieved on flying from JNB-LHR. That was my first time riding upstairs on a 747. Thanks for bringing back a nice memory.
Twas my first time on the upper deck too. I can see why people like it. I would had enjoyed it more without the kids playing throw the headrest cover... but I'll take what I can get

Glad you enjoyed Gamecock

Originally Posted by Moomba
I am sorry, I think there is something wrong with the last part of your report. It appears to be someone else's trip where they were travelling in business class.

Entertaining as ever Kevincm
I know... doesn't seem right at all. Still if BA want to throw a double upgrade at me, I'm not going to object....

Thanks Moomba

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Fun report. Nice to see your comments on my hometown.

If you'd like to grab a beer sometime on your next trip to Chicago, send me a PM.
Glad you liked toomanybooks. I'm in and out of Chicago twice a year to catch up with my friends, present, shoot photos... etc

If I ever get more than a day and a spare evening to myself on a Chicago run trip (and that's becoming more of a challenge each trip), I'll be up for it.

Originally Posted by mattm199
Thanks, a good TR, and slightly sated my wander lust (only around six weeks after my last US trip - I think it only makes it worse!).
The Y catering on AA didn't look half bad.
Hope your conference in Chicago was good too!
Oops. Sorry mattm199 Guess you'll have to book another ticket to return

AA's Morning catering in Y isn't that bad for long haul travel - I've seen worse (believe me!). Nightime travel isn't too good, but better than most.

The conference went well... My talk had a few hitches when my Mac came to a halt at the wrong moment, but I glossed over it.

Thanks mattm199
Old May 5, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Pr้f้rence
I enjoyed your trip report.

Your picture of the AA aircraft reaching the shore of Lake Michigan was a nice touch (I grew up in western Michigan). Lake Macatawa is the inland lake closest to the bottom of the photo, with Spring Lake, about 25-30 ground miles north, visible at the top. I'm guessing your flight reached Lake Michigan somewhere between Saugatuck and South Haven
Old May 6, 2013, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good to see you back Kevincm especially as you are flying with a different Alliance these days. I have to say a day flight in AA Y looks survivable especially if you get a window seat.....whereas that early morning coach journey to LHR....just the thought sends a shiver down my back.

Nice to see some Chicago pics again especially the loop. Every time I heard the train rattle above my head it reminded me of the big dipper at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. We'll need to go back to Chicago as we forgot to take a ride on it.....any excuse to go back to Chicago does me.

Great report K. ^
Old May 6, 2013, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
I enjoyed your trip report.
Thanks ND76.

Originally Posted by ND76
Your picture of the AA aircraft reaching the shore of Lake Michigan was a nice touch (I grew up in western Michigan). Lake Macatawa is the inland lake closest to the bottom of the photo, with Spring Lake, about 25-30 ground miles north, visible at the top. I'm guessing your flight reached Lake Michigan somewhere between Saugatuck and South Haven
That's interesting - its something the moving maps don't go into that deeply and it's nice to know where I sort of flew over.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good to see you back Kevincm especially as you are flying with a different Alliance these days. I have to say a day flight in AA Y looks survivable especially if you get a window seat.....whereas that early morning coach journey to LHR....just the thought sends a shiver down my back.
It's good to be back after dodging the redundancy axe HIDDY.

Well BA and AA have treated me well so far. Flying AA during the day isn't that bad in Y (but make sure you get a 777-200 - the 777-300ER's are 10 across down the back and the 767-300ER's are in need of major TLC).

Alas, National Express is still cheaper than any other hotel option. Sadly, time limitations prevented me from having a longer trip, otherwise I might had stretched it into an overnight at LHR (especially as I did my final packing 5 minutes before the taxi pulled up!).

Put it like this: I was back at work on Wednesday morning after arriving on Tuesday....

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Nice to see some Chicago pics again especially the loop. Every time I heard the train rattle above my head it reminded me of the big dipper at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. We'll need to go back to Chicago as we forgot to take a ride on it.....any excuse to go back to Chicago does me.

Great report K. ^
Darn good excuse in my book. I suspect I'll be returning in October for more shenanigans around the loop and beyond.

Thanks HIDDY.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I was thrilled to read your trip report as I have recently been booked on a r/t ORD-YYZ-LHR and LHR-DEN-ORD. While the return itinerary was of my choosing (wanting to pick up some extra miles) the outbound trip was done by my corporate travel agent. It seems that it was a significant difference in price. I was beginning to wonder how the connection in YYZ would go, I now have a very good idea. I am just hoping that the 2h 20m timeframe is sufficient. I am doing coach in all legs but have found both AA and BA to be more than acceptable in my book. I look forward to visiting the lounge in YYZ, especially after your pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.