Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

TR - Toronto over Easter LBA-LHR-YYZ-LHR-LBA (BA J inc. an OpUp)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

So, this is my second ever trip report on FT. I posted my first one only a few days ago on the BAEC board (as I consider it my home board) but it will probably be moved over on to this board at some point by the mods. If you want to read it, and also read some of my travelling background, the link is below:

TR–Far East inc. Beijing, HK, KL, Singapore & Hanoi (BA J, CX Y, KA Y&J, MH Y, MI Y)

Planning
Over the Christmas holidays I was a bit bored frankly so spent some time looking at holidays for the first half of 2013. In order to make good use of the Easter weekend where I get Good Friday and Easter Monday as public holidays I though of perhaps a short weekend somewhere in North America. I had been thinking of going to Toronto for a year or so and it seemed an ideal candidate for a 4 day trip.

I had decided to book both outbound and inbound in WTP, and MFU the inbound leg in to CW. My plan was a daytime flight over to YYZ, so WTP would be fine as I wouldn’t be looking to get any sleep, and an overnight flight back so a flat bed would be essential for sleep. Unfortunately, despite previous attempts to sleep in economy or premium economy seats, I have found that I can only sleep on a plane when on a flat bed.

After checking on ba.com there was some reward availability in J on an overnight flight from YYZ, and better yet it was on a 747 so I could get an UD seat. I also live in Leeds so with the recent domestic flights from LBA to LHR I could add on a domestic connection. Previously I had always connected from MAN, or on one occasion driven down to LHR. I booked flights online at ba.com, and for my inbound managed to select the coveted 64a.

I use the excellent My Flights app on my iphone which lets you put most airline booking in (not LCCs generally though) and then monitors the bookings for any changes. If it detects any a pop up warning comes up. I find if something does change this is a much quicker way of finding out instead of waiting sometimes hours or days for a text or email from the airline.

On the day before departure I got an alert that something had changed on my booking. Fearing the worst I looked but initially couldn't work out what had changed. Then I noticed my carefully selected WTP reservation had gone as the seat number was now blank. I was slightly annoyed and immediately went in to the BA app to re-select a seat. I got in to the seat map, and after a minute or so I realised the seat map didn't look like the WTP cabin at all - I had been upgraded in to CW!! First time ever for an OpUp, so I guess the WTP cabin was overbooked. Sadly there were no window seats left, but I couldn’t really complain and selected the aisle seat 12J.

Flights
British Airways, LBA-LHR-YYZ-LHR-LBA - £969.37 + 10,000 avios

British Airways BA1341
LBA-LHR(T1)
G-DBCG, A319-100
UK Domestic, seat 2F
29 March 2013 - 09:15d, 10:25a (scheduled)
Duration - 1h 10m (scheduled)

LBA is my local airport and is a 20 minute drive from my home. Destinations are a little restricted though but now BA have started domestic flights to LHR since December 2012 using some of the slots they gained from the BMI acquisition.

Early on Friday morning I headed off to the airport in the car and parked at the off-site Sentinel parking which I normally use. It was quick and efficient as usual and I was in the terminal within 5 minutes of arriving. I wish I could say the same thing about check-in though. I arrived at 90 minutes before departure. There were two desks for Y/no status check-in, and one desk for J/status. I joined the queue for the priority desk with one guy waiting in front and a family at the desk. Unfortunately the family at the desk seemed to be having a problem - you know the type, lots of taping on the computer by the check-in lady who was also on the phone, but no bags moving. After 10 minutes with no movement I got fed up and moved in to the Y queue where I was sorted in a few minutes. Shouldn't the Y desk notice the hold up and call people over? I don’t think they have quite understood priority check-in yet.

Anyway, I was advised at check-in to go through fast track security. I was not sure if this applies to all on BA passengers, but I think it seemed to. This is helpful as there is a one bag limit in the normal security line at LBA, whilst the fast track allowance is two bags in accordance with the BA cabin baggage allowance. I was through in a few minutes and made my way directly to the Yorkshire Premium Lounge which is the third party lounge at LBA that BA use. This was my first time in this lounge. There are two parts to it, one either side of reception. To the left is a more business friendly part, and to the right is a more leisure family friendly part. The lounge angel was proactively advising anyone without children to go in to the business part. A wi-fi code was offered at reception, and once inside there were soft drinks, coffee, tea, beers, and a small selection of wine and spirits. Toast and pastries were also available. Newspapers and magazines were available, and there were a few computers to use. Champagne was not available unless you pay. There are no toilets in the lounge either and no exterior windows. It is a reasonably comfortable lounge, and very useful since the recent refurbishment of the airport as there are very few seats left in the departure lounge.

I headed out a few minutes before boarding to get some photos of the plane. Boarding was called on time. There was no separate priority queue for boarding, but as there were only a few people in front I was quickly though.

G-DBCG hiding behind the jetbridge.

The plane seemed to be in much better condition than the domestic planes I am used to from MAN. After take-off a hot sausage and bacon sub roll given out and there was also a drinks service as well but I just had a coffee. As this is a fairly new route I was keen to see what the numbers were like, and the load was 107 so not too bad.

After holding for 15 minutes or so we landed at LHR. Unfortunately the route goes to T1, although was actually due to swap to T5 on Easter Sunday. This meant for at least my outbound connection I would have to do a T1-T5 connection. This was not a great experience especially compared to the easy and quick domestic T5 – international T5 connections I had previously done. After what seemed like ages walking I finally got to the transit bus. It was nice in a kind of plans-spotters sense as we did get to pass by quite a few planes of various sizes, and also went past the partly built new T2. However, I wouldn't want to do this kind of connection regularly, and it would have certainly put me off travelling from LBA if the flights had remained at T1.

British Airways BA93
LHR(T5)-YYZ(T3)
G-VIIJ, B777-200
Club World, seat 12J
29 March 2013 - 12:00d, 15:55+1a (scheduled)
Duration - 7h 55m (scheduled)

Once in to T5A I was told at flight connections that the flight would be from C64 so a trip over to T5C would be needed. After security I went straight down to the transit train. There is no lounge in T5C, and this time I didn’t take advantage of the £15 spending you get in Starbucks T5C as an alternative.

G-VIIJ looking good.

After boarding was called I was quickly on, my jacket was taken, and champagne was offered and accepted. Menus were also handed out. Once the safety briefing started an issue became apparent with my IFE and my neighbours in 12K as our screens remained blank throughout. I called one of the CC over and we ended up getting our own top up manual safety briefing.

Take-off was about 30 minutes late just because of the amount of traffic. Once we were airborne it became apparent that the IFE problem wasn’t just limited to the safety briefing video. The plane had the new Thales IFE installed. For some reason none of the content worked for my seat or 12K, although the menu worked and so did the moving map. Anyway, the CSD tried various things but never managed to make it work. Towards the end of the flight she pro-actively offered us avios compensation of 10,000 for me, and 8,000 for the lady in 12K (I think she was bronze or blue). We both accepted. Mine was credited a few days later.

Fortunately I had my ipad which was loaded with stuff to watch anyway, so I never really felt that I had lost out. I even managed to set it up over the IFE screen. I felt sorry for the lady in 12K who didn't have an alternative. Unfortunately there were no free seats for her to move to.

Went for the Boizel Grand Vintage 2004 with the meal - not particularly impressed to be honest.

Flight was on Good Friday so note the Easter Bunny chocolate. I started by biting the head off first! I did consider posting a photo of the beheaded bunny but thought it may be a bit too gruesome for public viewing.

Pasta was actually nice.

Yes - the caramel cheese cake again (see my previous trip report where I had it on the LHR-PEK flight), and the usual Glenlivet 15yo as well.

Afternoon tea. Sandwiches were ok, no dry bread thankfully.

Scones - yes I do cream first and jam on top.

The food service was fine, and the food itself was pretty good, I would say a 7 for taste. Generally the flight was pretty smooth. As it was a daytime flight I didn't want to sleep so I had a wander down to the back of the plane and had a nice chat with an Italian member of the cc who was on her break – I did offer to leave her alone but she said she was happy to chat. G-VIIJ must have recently been refurbished as it had the new WT and WTP seats.

My “fixed” IFE.

I had not been in an aisle seat before in CW. It did feel more exposed than a window but that was fine for a daytime flight. I would have minded more for a night flight when I would want to sleep.

Over Canada.

Once we arrived at YYZ I was quickly off the plane. Border control was slow, and reminded me of the US. It ended up taking about 20 minutes which compares very unfavourably to my experiences at various airports in the Far East a few weeks earlier.

Toronto
I stayed at the Hilton in Toronto. I won’t put too much about the city, apart from saying that it is a nice place to spend a long weekend. I ended up doing a day trip to Niagara, going to the island, and having a bike tour amongst other things.

CN Tower, I went up of course.

Niagara Falls. No Maid of the Mist at this time of year for obvious reasons.

Toronto skyline by night from the island.
kosy91 likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 28, 2013 at 6:02 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

British Airways BA98
YYZ(T3)-LHR(T5)
G-CIVB, B747-400
Club World, seat 64A (upper deck)
1 April 2013 - 21:20d, 09:15+1a (scheduled)
Duration - 6h 55m (scheduled)

I got the Toronto Airport Express back to the airport. I was checked in quickly, and given direction to the lounge. I went straight to security queue. The security officer was not particularly pleasant. She took my boarding pass, scanned it, and then wouldn't give back until my bags were just about to go in to the scanner. Then when she did give it back, after prompting from me, I tried to put it back in to an open pocket for one of my bags and she said I had to have it in my hand as I went through the scanner. She was just being an arsehole frankly, but as always not worth arguing with.

After a quick stop to get some sweets for my colleagues at work I went to lounge. The BA lounge is up the lift opposite gate C32. Pre-flight dining was explained by lounge angel as I was on a sleeper service. I decided to dine straight away rather than wait. There was a hot buffet selection with several choices which all looked pretty good. I made myself a salad first of chicken, leaves, squash, tomatoes with some and vinaigrette which was nice, and had a glass of white to go with it. I got some photos of the food and the dining area as well.

Salad course with some grilled chicken.

Pre-flight dining area with views over the apron.

Marinated chicken which was very nice, with short noodles.

Salmon, managed to do the fish after the chicken for some reason.

Pumpkin cheese cake was ok, although a little bland.

Cheese course - very good.

After eating I moved in to the main seating area. There is no separate lounge wi-fi, and instead you are advised to use the free airport one which seemed relatively reliable.

View in the main seating area of the lounge.

G-CIVB as seen from the lounge.

After an hour or so in the lounge, and a few drinks later, I headed off to the gate. After pre-boarders were called the priority queue was properly enforced and I was quickly on board. I headed immediately up the stairs and in to my seat. Menus were handed out along with pre take-off drinks. It turned out the UD was less than half full. I don’t understand why anyone on seeing a free seat on the UD when checking in wouldn’t immediately move upstairs? From a slfish point of view I was quite happy though.

64A, first time for me.

The view from my seat during boarding.

As I had eaten in the lounge I just ordered the hot chocolate and cookie. My plan was to try and get to sleep as soon as I could.

Hot chocolate and cookie. Drink was good, cookie was not really that warm unfortunately. Accompanied by whisky of course.

This is the first time I have been on a sleeper service, and I made full use of it. My plan was to get to sleep as soon after take-off as I could to maximise it on such a short flight. After changing in to my pyjamas I ended up going to sleep about 1 hour after take-off, and woke up about 2.5 hours to landing. I think 3.5 hours sleep was as much as I had hoped for so it all worked well.

Nice view to wake up to.

Fruit was good, although plastic tray looks cheap (discussed before I think).

Bacon butty which worked well for me, not so much for the Israeli couple in 63a/b though.

View across Wales.

Final stretch out before we had to prepare for landing.

Overall a very relaxing flight. Managed to get a decent amount of sleep even though it was a relatively short flight. Once on stand we were told that the jetbridge wasn’t working so we would have to wait for stairs. Fortunately they didn’t take too long to arrive and were put at door 2L near the bottom of the stairs – so only a 5 minute delay.

LHR(T5) GC North Lounge & Shower
So once through flight connections and security my plan was to head to the GC North Lounge and have a shower. I had packed a fresh set of clothes to change in to in my carry on bag. There was no wait for a shower room. This is the first time I have used them at T5, and all I can say is that they certainly do not compare to the ones I used in the Cathay Wing J lounge at HKG only two weeks before. The shower room here was smaller – frankly too small, and very warm. Also it looked like a shower you would have in a hospital perhaps, and not one you would find in an airport lounge.

Shower was a bit utilitarian, especially compared to those in The Wing Cathay lounge at HKG which I had tried only a few weeks earlier.

I had a few hours to wait for the connection back to LBA, so settled out on the terrace of the GC North Lounge.

View from the north end of T5A across the apron.

British Airways BA1342
LHR(T5)-LBA
G-EUOH, A319-100
UK Domestic, seat 2F
2 April 2013 - 12:35d, 13:35a (scheduled)
Duration - 1h (scheduled)

Well, nothing really to write about for the domestic connection. We got a small snack and a drinks service. There were around 40 passengers on the flight. Despite a delayed take-off we arrived in to LBA on time. What more could you want?

A dove back to LBA.

Conclusion
So I really enjoyed this trip. My first time connecting from LBA, and I will certainly try and use it in the future since it has moved to T5. First OpUp which was very nice and unexpected – plus the bonus avios for the broken IFE. First sleeper service and first 64a which worked well. The service in CW was good outbound and inbound, although I made less use of it coming back as I was mostly asleep.

Toronto was good as well. Perhaps a bit cold this time of year, but I should have expected that. I really would like to explore Canada a bit more, and get out in to the national parks. Photos I have seen of Banff national park look spectacular. It will have to go on the long waiting list though.

I hope you enjoyed the trip report. My second one now on FT so I am still trying to improve them, so feel free to provide any (constructive) criticism.

Trip reports coming up …
BA CE from LGW to RAK – am off to climb Mt. Toubkal at the start of May. Seemed like a good idea when I booked it months ago.

Weekend on Zurich via LBA-LHR-ZRH-LCY in May (BA CE).

AY to Chongqing for 4 days at the end of May courtesy of Finnair’s very low £877rtn fare in J – this one will take me up to Gold thanks to the nice 440 TP haul.

BA CE for a weekend in Jersey in July – yes the refuge of the tier point gatherer.

Long weekend in Verona travelling in BA Y LBA-LHR-LIN-LHR-LBA in late August.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 23, 2013 at 3:06 am
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
nice report, thanks for putting the effort in! I'd like more photos though, especially your night time ones as they are absolutely stunning!!!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Another good one KARFA. Much appreciated.

(Consider posting up on airliners.net trip reports too...!)
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevieed
nice report, thanks for putting the effort in! I'd like more photos though, especially your night time ones as they are absolutely stunning!!!
Thanks for the comment stevieed, and for posting on the Far East trip report as well. I'll certainly post a few more photos in future ones. I like doing the night time ones, especially since I have invested in a 5dmk3 earlier this year. I have a smallish tripod I take around with me as well. If you can believe it the photos look better on the original size ones I have on my pc. I think uploading degrades the quality a little.

I usually get a few of the best ones from each trip printed off and put them up in my office. However, I am running out of wall space!

I haven't even got around to selecting the ones for printing from this trip and the Far East one yet.

Originally Posted by phunc
Another good one KARFA. Much appreciated.

(Consider posting up on airliners.net trip reports too...!)
Thanks phunc, and also for your comments on my Far East trip report too. I'll check out airliners.net.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Thanks for posting, KARFA. I've only been there in the summer, but Niagara Falls still looks stunning in the winter. My favorite pic is the one of the Toronto skyline at night. What camera are you using?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thanks for posting, KARFA. I've only been there in the summer, but Niagara Falls still looks stunning in the winter. My favorite pic is the one of the Toronto skyline at night. What camera are you using?
Thanks dat4life, it is probably my favourite of the set as well. I'll probably get it printed up at some point.

I am using a Canon 5d mk3 which I bought back in Ferbruary. I am really enjoying using it so far. I was using a Canon 500d (aka Rebel T1i) before then which I got back in 2009. Lens for the skyline shot was a 24-105L f4.0. I also had a tripod as well which was essential as the exposure time was 30s at ISO 160, f16.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
British Airways BA39
LHR(T5)-YYZ(T3)
G-VIIJ, B777-200
Club World, seat 12J
29 March 2013 - 12:00d, 15:55+1a (scheduled)
Duration - 7h 55m (scheduled)
Congrats on your op-up. Minor point- you were on BA93. BA39 would have sent you to PEK!

Glad you liked Toronto.

KB
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiltboys
Minor point- you were on BA93. BA39 would have sent you to PEK!

Glad you liked Toronto.

KB
Thanks for the comments Kiltboys. The unexpected OpUp was great. I would have been happy sat in premium economy which is what I had originally booked, but obviously I was a lot more happy sitting in Club World

Well spotted on the flight number error. I have corrected it now.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
You are most welcome. It's sad that I would have noticed the flight # switch...I have clearly spent too many hours between YYZ and LHR!

I also meant to say that your pictures were terrific. I believe that Toronto is one of the best cities out there, and you have captured it perfectly.

Cheers, and happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.