Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three Weeks in Bhutan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Yes, honey is very popular. Bumthang honey from around the Jakar area is very famous.

The butterflies were amazing! I saw them mostly in the east but it could just have had to do with the climate and time of year. I think there are probably more butterflies in the warmer months of summer.

Not sure about the king and queen. But I have the impression that he is very down to earth. Whenever there is a natural disaster or fire he is always there to lend his moral support as well as some money to help the victims. So they may be out and about in Thimphu.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this very special trip report with us. It was terrific.

Bobette
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:35 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Nice pics, nice report , it reminds me a lot our summer 2009 trip to Ladakh , in the northern part of India , by car from New Delhi to Manali and then to Leh and Nubra valley along the Himalaya highway (very much high, very little way), including a side deviation to Kaza in the Spiti valley where our family of 6 had the honor and privilege to see HH the Dalai Lama opening a new Gompa. One of the best trips of our life as I guess your must have been.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:47 pm

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Moved Bhutan up my list of prospective destinations.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Yes, honey is very popular. Bumthang honey from around the Jakar area is very famous.

The butterflies were amazing! I saw them mostly in the east but it could just have had to do with the climate and time of year. I think there are probably more butterflies in the warmer months of summer.

Not sure about the king and queen. But I have the impression that he is very down to earth. Whenever there is a natural disaster or fire he is always there to lend his moral support as well as some money to help the victims. So they may be out and about in Thimphu.
I hinted Bhutan would have some of the best honey just by looking at your pictures. The problem is how to take it on the planes and out of the country with all the restrictions concerning liquids. It would have to go as checked baggage with the risk of having it mishandled and broken.

The butterflies look wonderful.

I have been following Their Majesties the King and Queen of Bhutan ever since the time the new King had announced his marriage to this beautiful young Bhutanese named Jetsun Pema, the daughter of an airline captain!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...tan-engaged/1/

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches...r-old-commoner

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/0...57164220110520

Her Majesty is an incredibly beautiful woman!

The Royal wedding:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...ng-in-pictures

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...4.html#s405416

They seem to be really wonderful. A match made in Heaven. I would not want to go to Bhutan without meeting them and bringing them a gift.

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, Accor Plat, Global Entry
Wow! Amazing photos! Thank you for posting your trip report!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:09 pm

Thank you for all the information you've provided!

I didn't realize you were on a custom tour, so I was trying to figure out which of the options listed on the website you took. I'm glad to know they're willing to do custom tours even for solo travelers.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Continited, DL, KLM/AF, AA, US, AS, AC, VS, LH, BA, QF, NH
Wonderful report and photos. Well done.

A question:

Photo #3. What are those things? Bells? Prayer wheels?

Bhutan's on my bucket list, even with the scary approach via air. Send me there with my camera, my tripod, some good glass and a handful of CF cards and I'd be happy as a clam for a month.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NurseRatched
Wonderful report and photos. Well done.

A question:

Photo #3. What are those things? Bells? Prayer wheels?

Bhutan's on my bucket list, even with the scary approach via air. Send me there with my camera, my tripod, some good glass and a handful of CF cards and I'd be happy as a clam for a month.
Yes, those are prayer wheels.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:01 am

I know I am late to the party, but what a great trip report. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Any photos of the hotels you stayed in?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:35 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Four years later and still one of the best TR around.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just seeing this. Very cool, thank you for posting
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Any photos of the hotels you stayed in?
sorry I haven't followed this thread. I didn't take many hotel photos. Most were similar. Think mountain lodge. Lots of wood walls so they were fairly dark. Wood burning stoves in most for heat. A few electric lights. En suite bathroom with basic plumbing. I think that there aren't a lot of skilled plumbers around. Usually a pair of twin beds with lots of blankets

dinner and breakfast was typically a buffet in a basic dining room
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
sorry I haven't followed this thread. I didn't take many hotel photos. Most were similar. Think mountain lodge. Lots of wood walls so they were fairly dark. Wood burning stoves in most for heat. A few electric lights. En suite bathroom with basic plumbing. I think that there aren't a lot of skilled plumbers around. Usually a pair of twin beds with lots of blankets

dinner and breakfast was typically a buffet in a basic dining room
Thanks for taking the time to answer! Great TR by the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.