Wiki Posts
Search

LAD to IAH in C on the "Houston Express"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
LAD to IAH in C on the "Houston Express"

I have been meaning to post this trip report as it is unusual and a flight not many FF know about. There have been TR in the past, but nothing recent I have found. I also wanted to give quality information about the flight, as there is little to no information out there about this flight in one concise place.

Was on business in Europe and the Middle East, so the boss decided since we were already half way around the world, we might as well enjoy the pleasure of visiting Luanda, Angola. Add on a few extra days to the trip, and off we go. Before I get into the joys of the airport, or the flight I want to answer some basic questions for the (un)fortunate few who may find themselves on this flight.

What is the “Houston Express”?
-The “Houston Express” is a charter flight operated by Atlas Air for SonAir. SonAir is owned by Sonangol the national oil company of Angola. The flight flies M, W, F from IAH – LAD, and T, TH, Sat from LAD – IAH. They operate the flight utilizing a 744 in a unique configuration of 189 total seats. Majority of the Cabin is Business class seats, with a few first, and a few economy seats.

Frequently you will see an Atlas/SonAir 744 hanging around IAH painted in SonAir golden colors. The contract requires this sit as backup and not be used for anything else. Previously, World Airways utilizing 2 MD- 11s operated this route. There are a lot of reasons the change was made, but this could be a separate post (normal contract cycle, Angolans in the cabin/cockpit etc.)

How do you get onboard?
- To fly on this flight, you have to be working for, or on behalf of a company who is a member of the USAEA (US-Africa Energy Association). This is essentially a closed charter to the members of the USAEA. It provides a way to get rotational workers, business, and cargo into Angola in a timely matter and provides a direct link from Houston. Flight bookings are handled by each companies corporate travel department (ours is Carlson Wagonlit).

What does a ticket cost?
- Business class fare from LAD- IAH one-way was $6002.50. Considerably cheaper than making a connection in either Dubai, or Paris to my knowledge, and significantly faster!

Do you get frequent flier miles?
- Due to SonAir’s relationship with United, you receive 7,500 miles for the one-way journey. Surprising they provide this, but I will never complain about more miles!

Trip Report Part I, Getting out of Angola:

After 4 long days added to an already 21 day long jaunt across Europe and the Middle East, my time in Angola was coming to a close. We met and got to work with amazing people, I am always amazed meeting and working with people from different backgrounds, cultures, etc. That being said, I was ready to be on my way home, something about the security, nightmare traffic, staying in a compound, and several trips out to platforms, I was done. The last hurdle that remained was somehow making it through the airport and security and on the plane.

We (3 co workers along for the journey) were told check in is between 6-8 pm for a 10pm departure. We arrived at the airport at 5:45. After meeting up with our companies local representatives at the airport, they ushered us through the crowds and into the terminal building. Looking around, there was a huge line of Westerners and good ol boys in their camo hats. I knew we were in the right place.

The line snaked around the terminal, and was at least 100 people deep. It was summer time in Angola so it was pretty warm in the building and there was definitely no A/C running. A departure form was handed out that needed to be filled out. The line moved slowly, after about 30 minutes we finally got up to the front. I was called over to some portable booths set up, where an agent looked at my reservation, passport, and form before starting to play 20 questions (where has your luggage been in the last 48 hours, why didn’t you take the Houston Express to Angola, are you a terrorist, Check vs carry on etc.) After somehow satisfactory answering her questions, she stamped my documents, and put a sticker on my ticket and bags, and ushered me into another line. (Hurry up and wait was the name of the game, like a DMV on steroids).

At this point if you are checking luggage, they will open every piece, dump its contents out on tables and check every square inch. Lucky for me I travel with carry on only, so got the enjoyment of waiting in line watching grown men’s possessions being dumped for all to see. This line was much shorter, and consisted of 3 different stops. You must do them in order, and do not go up to the open agent, there is a process and you will be reminded. Lady 1 Scans your passport and pretends to look at your documents, Lady 2 asks, Aisle or Window and looks at documents, then assigns you a random seat, Lady 3 looks over everything, and adds a lounge pass to your stack of stuff, and points you to another line that is security.

You walk around the terminal, and then hop in another line. This is essentially the same set up at TSA and all the joys that come with it. Except there is only 1 lane, and multiple airlines using it, along with all the Houston Express passengers. When I got to the front of the line, the guard looked at my passport, laughed, and said well you got a lot of space to come back to Angola. Typical remove your computer, shoes, belt etc.

After proceeding through security, it was off to passport control. Lines move super slow, and the agents write the equivalent of a novel in the computers, then stare at your passport for what seems like hours. All you can think is, this person is the gatekeeper to me getting home, please don’t screw up! Finally I was through, and waited on the other side near customs for co-workers to get through. Interesting the guard at customs pulled anyone of any decent besides Western off to closed offices. Found it interesting, but always have some greenbacks in your wallet as a bribe still goes a long way.

From there we headed upstairs. We were given a pass to the TAAG Lounge. It was a mediocre lounge, but I cannot complain, as even having a lounge in Angola is a luxury. The lounge was very crowded and had semi chilled beers, cocktails, and some light snacks. Wi-Fi was available, and ski jumping was on the TV. We sat around watching ski jumping, sweating, drinking warm beer. It typified so many things about the trip, and the recent experience. At this point the rational human would assume we were done with the lines and process, and just a bus ride to the plane away.

About 9:00 they called for all Houston Express passengers. We proceeded down the stairs, and jumped in 1 of 2 lines. Somehow we picked the correct line. This line was for a more in depth security check. First someone asks you where your bags have been since you checked in, if you have had them with you, etc. Then you get the treatment you saw checked luggage getting earlier. Both my carry-ons where completely emptied on the table and every inch searched. It is illegal to take currency out of the country and they are most likely looking for this.

After you pass this test, and cram everything back in, you go down the line, and then are given a very thorough complete body pat down. They left no crack or crevice unsearched. At this point I just had to wonder if all this was necessary for a closed charter flight. After passing the pat down and metal detector hand wand, you are told to wait in a holding area. 20 minutes here, sweating as we watch the last of the Air France passenger’s lolly gagging to their flight. There are multiple exit/boarding doors, but they don’t seem to want to use them. 1 flight at a time! Finally they started taking our boarding passes and we hopped on a bus. A short ride out to our beautiful 744 that was our ride home.

At this point I started to relax, and be happy I made it through the ordeal. They only question remained: how nice the plane would be? There were not any pictures available online, so I debated if they would spare no expense for this flight and plane as they were oil companies, or try and cut costs.

Trip Report Part II, Plane / Flight

As the bus stopped and everyone rushed up the stairs to hurry and stow their luggage, we were greeted by a brand new looking plane interior, A/C cranking, and a super friendly staff. It was one of those moments you feel like you have made it to heaven. I was seated in 30H, an aisle seat, the last row before the lavatories, and over wing exits. The joy of them randomly assigning seats. The business seats are arranged in a 2 x 3 x 2 fashion. I stowed my luggage, took my seat and enjoyed a nice whiskey on the rocks.

As I was enjoying my whiskey, I was given a menu, noise canceling headphones and a rather decent amenity kit. I was impressed with the seat and would argue it was nicer than United’s BusinessFirst product, and a little below Emirates International business class product. Not over the top, but very nice.

Within 20 minutes everyone had boarded. The joys of flying with people who actually know what they are doing, and are just as excited to get home (most have spent 28 days straight working in Angola, so you can imagine they are ready to get home to their families). Looking at the seats, generally both the 2 seat sections on the sides were full, and the middle 3 seat section had people on both aisles. After the safety demonstration, at 10:11 we took off and started our 15-hour journey home.

After we got to a safe cruising altitude, we were served dinner. I went with a Caprese Salad, Beef Bourguignon, and finished it off with some White chocolate Raspberry Mouse. The flight attendants were superior. Better service than I have ever gotten on a American Carrier. (Talking to them, they love these flights as you get tons of hours and just go out and back. Same with the pilots and I am sure this trip is a high seniority bid due to the # of hours) Overall the food was not anything to write home about, but it was good considering where they were sourcing their products. Much better than the food served in our companies compound. I sat and enjoyed some wine, and more whiskey and then decided to explore the movie options.

\

The in-flight entertainment systems were surprisingly good. They were comparable and had the same selection as the United BusinessFirst flight I took between IAH and FRA on this same trip.

At this point I was exhausted from 16-hour workdays, and traveling and working. I was able to sleep for a good 8-9 hours. I occasionally woke up as the turbulence had some moments where it was quite bad. I slept well; even though the bed wasn’t completely a 180-degree lie flat.

When I woke up, I was able to watch a couple of movies, play on my iPad and talk with co- workers. The nice thing about this flight is you are in darkness the entire time, so it makes it very easy for people to sleep, and relax.

About 5 AM Houston Time they started serving a nice breakfast. I went for the stuffed French toast, with Bacon and a side of fruit. No complaints here. It was really good and helped me wake up. The crew cleaned up, and it was time to sweep the cabin one last time, and we were ready to land. At 6:05 we made our approach and landed at IAH. A long taxi touring the airport and we were off.

It was nice to be back to nice airport facilities, a quick stop through Global Entry, and Customs and by 6:45 I met my driver, and was off back home.

Overall a very interesting experience. Africa, is Africa, and one should expect long lines, procedures that don’t make a lot of sense, etc when traveling through. I hope this provides some insight, and pictures of a rather unique experience aboard the Houston Express. Hopefully this will help anyone who finds themselves wondering what to expect when traveling out of Luanda also.

Last edited by dashboard347; Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 am
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Very cool ^ Not something you usually see here! Shame you didn't snap some more pics of the plane
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:07 am

Very interesting trip report, thanks. I never knew this flight existed.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Very cool ^ Not something you usually see here! Shame you didn't snap some more pics of the plane
There are a few available online. . . and taking pictures of the plane outside with armed guards around it, is somehow frowned upon in Angola. . . go figure! I was able to snap these internal pictures before getting told, "We don't allow this sir"
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Thank you. Very nice to read about a niche service like the one you described. I-m not sure I would be happy about having my possessions emptied out of my bags the way they seemed to be doing it at Luanda Airport!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:16 am
Suspended

Very interesting TR...thanks for posting
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What a great trip great trip report, and about an airport and airline most of us will never experience. I believe I just dropped Luanda and Angola off of my bucket list, though.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Very interesting and unique TR, glad you included some photos. Definitely surprised to see that modern of a cabin.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by dashboard347
There are a few available online. . . and taking pictures of the plane outside with armed guards around it, is somehow frowned upon in Angola. . . go figure! I was able to snap these internal pictures before getting told, "We don't allow this sir"
Wait you didn't go with showing the FA your card, mentioning terrorism and getting the boot off the plane?

Cheers!

Great pictures, I have always wondered about this flight having seen it at IAH several times.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Cool report, thanks!

I was wondering what the gold 744 at the far end of IAH was when I passed through earlier this week.

Greg
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for the unique trip report ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.