Reload this Page >

YYZ-HKG-NRT//HND-HKG-YYZ - CX J - And Japan Trip Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-HKG-NRT//HND-HKG-YYZ - CX J - And Japan Trip Details

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Nice tr - this brings back memories of my trip to Japan in 2010.

We also stayed in the Granvia Kyoto - did you tried the "Teppanyaki Gozanbo" restaurant of the Granvia?
This was definetly one of my best dining experiences I had on my young life ... (some pics in my blog)
Kobe beef, unbelievable service, incredible sushi and (an accident, since my eyes were focused on the beef part of the menu) Fugu.

And Okonomiyaki Hiroshima Style - which I also prefer to those in Osaka. You are not alone ...

Japan is sure one of my "must-come-back" travel destinations and your report did not calm my feelings down ...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT
Off to Tokyo Disney for the day.

This place is a lot of fun and our daughter loves the rides.

Weather was perfect during the entire trip. Only one day of precipitation in the 2 weeks in Japan.

Then after a day at Disney, we were off to the Swallows game...

They won and if you have never seen it, the chant done by the swallows fans when you score a run is very funny...and very taunting of the visiting team...basically translates to your washed up.

Nice to have a buddy that gets me tickets for these things.

A nice surprise back at our room when we returned...I think it was some loyalty gift...

The next day, we relaxed a little. Went for a great lunch in the caretta shiodome complex, the YAKINIKU TORAJI PARAM...make sure to print off your coupon for some free stuff...same with Hibiki that we went to another night....but sadly, no photos of there but some of Toraji...

I love to grill my own nice and marbled waygu...

probably about a level 6 or 7....not like some of the stuff I have eaten in Takayama.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT
After lunch, it was time to make our way up on the boat to see if we could catch a glimse of Tokyo Sky Tree...we did but it was a little foggy that day.

Then over to Ryogoku for some Sumo...our daugher loves the noise and excitement at sporting events. She is a sensory seeking monster at times.

These were the best seats I have had at the tournament. Nice family box, could fit 6 people but there were only 3 of us. Great time...to bad my buddy could not make it as he was jammed up at work.

Controversy during one match...

What I REALLY liked was that staff on the lower level have seemed to lock down the same and do not let anyone in the lower level without a ticket. I have been in the past and what is really annoying is when western tourists make their way into other people's seats that are empty and then get kicked out and or make their way to take better pictures. Here is my advice, if you want to be in the lower level, buy tickets on the lower level.

Either way, it is no longer a problem.

Also, make sure to rent your radio for english comentary. Really is great!

[Next up, our flight home and a few photos of HKG on they way home...might have to wait a few days...]
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Amazing, amazing report. Great pics. That sushi looks divine!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Enjoyed this report greatly. I visited the Yamazaki distillery back in May and loved it. In fact, it was the impetus for my trip to Japan. As with you, I was the only non-Japanese on the tour and while I had no one to translate for me, I was still happy as a pig in **** to be there. I hope you had a chance to try (for a fee) some of the rare whiskeys they had at the end of the tour.

I'm jealous you got to go see the Carp as outside of Koshien, their ridiculously named stadium is the one I'd like to see a game in the most.

Well done! ^
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Wow.. this is a great great great report...
Gotta go back to Japan...

FDW
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Absolutely fantastic time reading your report! Many, many thanks! What a full and lively trip you had!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Great trip report! Enjoyed all the pictures!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
As a person who lived in Japan for several years and visits on the reg I vote this post be stickied for how to do Japan.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:54 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Glad to see an emphasis on food and well, photos from Japan for that matter!

A couple of questions:

The Japanese says "research results" (on top of the menu) - http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps4b28cce5.jpg - What's that about? Are broth flavorings in that place experimental?

The temple you went to in Fukuoka, was it where green tea was introduced to Japan? Was it within walking distance to a building devoted entirely to housing a Buddha, next to a wagashiya?

What are your top-ranked department store food halls (depachika)?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by mkjr

Flight was great. FA had upgraded her parents from Y+ to J and also her 20 month old. Worked great. She was fantastic and pretty much did not take any break and pax in the rear J cabin pretty much had an FA in the same the whole time.

Great trip report, I enjoyed reading it.

But the part about FA upgrading her parents - isn't this really bad? CX or anywhere else.

Just curious.

Last edited by @ORD; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm Reason: editing
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Really cool report. Thanks.

About Miyajima island: when do you think the tori renovation be completed?

Do you recall the name of restaurant(s) that you like around Park Hotel in Tokyo? I know around the station there are plenty of eateries.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Great TR! And, even better that you took some excellent shots around FUK. i spent 2.5 years in sasebo (South of FUK on the Midori line). Such great memories! Thank you for sharing

Looks like a fantastic trip all around!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you very much for an excellent report!

Loved the pictures ^
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:02 am
htj

Fantastic trip report. Thanks so much for posting it. The japanese board of tourism should put you on the payroll. It really makes me want to head over there.

Do you speak any japanese? If not, how did you find getting around outside of tokyo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.