Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Miles, Virgin Australia to New Zealand, Queenstown, Sydney, with Pictures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Miles, Virgin Australia to New Zealand, Queenstown, Sydney, with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Awesome trip report and also respect for scoring Row 5 on VA

The Park Hyatt looks fantastic, the food, views and service all look the same to. Gets highly praised on a few blogs I have also read. If I head over to Sydney will definetly have to stay there.

As an aside we also call pyjamas-pyjamas here in Australia. Sleep Suits must be a VA branding thing
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
I am about to go on a similar trip in February. I have limited time in NZ and very much wanted to get to Queenstown. I haven't been able to find any non-stop flights from SYD-Queenstown. Did you fly non-stop on this route or connect somewhere?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by akersnl
I am about to go on a similar trip in February. I have limited time in NZ and very much wanted to get to Queenstown. I haven't been able to find any non-stop flights from SYD-Queenstown. Did you fly non-stop on this route or connect somewhere?

Thanks
We flew non-stop ZQN-SYD. VA only flys direct 2 days a week, Wed and Fri. There are others that fly direct too. You can find what days VA flies direct by going to their Flight Timetables, typing in SYD-ZQN, or whatever other city you want to leave from (BNE, MEL) and asking for availability there. Two digit flight numbers are VA metal, 4 digit Air New Zealand. It will then list the days and flight numbers.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spizzy
As an aside we also call pyjamas-pyjamas here in Australia. Sleep Suits must be a VA branding thing
Good to know!

I really appreciated getting row 5.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Thanks. What I don't understand is why I can't find these direct flights when looking at Air NZ's website.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thanks for the report!
Old May 20, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks

Dave, thanks for the trip report. It helped a lot as I planned my trip to Queenstown.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

So Australia-NZ VA flights have prem economy only and therefore lounge access is not being offered before these flights?
Old May 21, 2013, 3:17 am

Great tr. Thanks for posting.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:34 am

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but I'll make a couple comments on my recent trip to Queenstown.

I was on the fence for a while regarding my opinion whether it is worth the trek to get to NZ. Being from the USA, we have so many incredible landscapes that native USA people seem to not acknowledge. I would argue that Yosemite is more dramatic than anything in NZ, for example.

However, there is more to traveling than just scenery. Upon return from my visit to Queenstown, I have reflected upon the whole experience and indeed believe it is worth going. The attitude, culture, and whole ethos of the region is pretty special.

The Hilton is a great hotel that is just far enough away from the hipster party scene of downtown.

And the airport! What a great approach route! It might be worth going just for that. We were flying between valleys for a good few minutes up until the landing.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akersnl
Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but I'll make a couple comments on my recent trip to Queenstown.

I was on the fence for a while regarding my opinion whether it is worth the trek to get to NZ. Being from the USA, we have so many incredible landscapes that native USA people seem to not acknowledge. I would argue that Yosemite is more dramatic than anything in NZ, for example.

However, there is more to traveling than just scenery. Upon return from my visit to Queenstown, I have reflected upon the whole experience and indeed believe it is worth going. The attitude, culture, and whole ethos of the region is pretty special.

The Hilton is a great hotel that is just far enough away from the hipster party scene of downtown.

And the airport! What a great approach route! It might be worth going just for that. We were flying between valleys for a good few minutes up until the landing.
I agree with your assessment.

We were actually in Yosemite 5 months before New Zealand, so had a fresh comparison. The southern part of south New Zealand kind of reminded me of my impression of Rome. When you try to go somewhere, there is always something beautiful you stumble across on your way there that is just about as interesting as where you were headed.

Recently found out this was my wife's favorite vacation (asked her that question as a security question for a log in).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.