The Gem of South America: Peru

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gem of South America: Peru

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks!

On HP, lots of time to decide, obviously, but right now my inclination is to skip it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:08 pm

Thanks for a great trip report. I have been pondering where my next adventure might take me and now I think I know. You have inspired me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Great pictures! I would loooooove to go there.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Great trip report - definitely brought back memories of my trip to MP. When I went to MP, I did the 3 day hike on the Inca Trail instead of taking the train to MP. The hike was pretty straightforward but is pretty strenuous since there are 2 mountain passes that you hike through to get to MP. The effect of the coca tea is really to thin your blood so it will not require as much oxygen especially in the higher elevation.

During my trip - I spent 2.5 days in Cusco to get acclimated before going on the hike and that definitely helped me during the hike.

By the way, the hike in only one way (LOL). We took the train back to Cusco!! Also, there is a hot spring in Aguas Calientes (go figure!!) and it is worth taking a dip after a 3 day hike through the mountains.

Seeing the pictures makes me want to go back!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ThatJohn
Awesome TR! Really makes me want to go.

Would you pick Star Peru again or would you choose a different airline?
FWIW, my wife and I had a good experience with Star Peru. No frills, obviously, but they were on time & the staff was friendly. They also do not charge a 'gringo' tax, which was appreciated. LAN was considerably more money (like $150 more p.p. RT).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When I went I wished I had more time at Machu Picchu itself. The person who booked our flights (it was a side trip off a different trip) misunderstood and booked our flights back a day too early, so I only got a small part of a day there and didn't get to see any of the sights in the Sacred Valley (hey, reason to go back). So my suggestion is give yourself as much time as possible and plan as much as you are physically able, otherwise you'll be like me feeling like you went to a Michelin star restaurant and only got to have an appetizer before you had to leave.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Excellent report and great pictures! Thank you ^
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

As far as Star Peru. I may have just had a bad experience. An alternative choice for the Lima/Cusco flights would be LAN Peru which is miles better, however, much more expensive. In my honest opinion, if you're just looking for the cheapest way there Star Peru will do the job, if you're looking for first class or a more mainline experience, go with LAN.

For those of you on the fence about HP, think about it. HP was one of the best things I did there. The view is absolutely mind blowing! If you think you can physically do it, then do it, you won't regret it.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
thanks for the post. I really enjoyed reading it...

I was in Peru back in 2002, hiked the sacred path (due to some issues with my pass into the inca trail -- at the time, it was brand new to require a guide, as previously you had been able to hike independently)...

Due to a fare war between Delta and United recently, I am happy to say I will be returning to Peru in March 2014 for a second time. This time I have arranged the full Inca Trail and the hike up Huayna Picchu.

I'm very curious to see how things have changed in the past 12 years.

Note: your "chinchilla" is in fact a viscacha ;-)
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:14 am
Suspended

What tour operator did you use for the Sacred Valley tour?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What tour operator did you use for the Sacred Valley tour?
I would also be interested in this. The company that I used 12 years ago is no longer in business... a shame, it was a good company.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by dereiziger
I would also be interested in this. The company that I used 12 years ago is no longer in business... a shame, it was a good company.
I have some friends going in May. I'll get their tour operator and post it. I also have a friend who lives in Lima who works for AA. I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Sorry guys, I don't have the specific tour operator that did the Sacred Valley tour. We went through a local tour company in Tampa that set everything up for us.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
There is a similar discussion in the Peru sub-forum in the Americas forum.

I have friends who are doing a trek in May and using Llama Path. They call themselves a sustainable tour operator.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA/United/Delta
Hey OP,

I read that you entered into MP on two separate days. Do you have to pay twice? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.