Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific First, Korean A380 First, a 72 hour hall pass & the RGN mistake fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific First, Korean A380 First, a 72 hour hall pass & the RGN mistake fare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, CX, SQ, BA
Nice report. cannot wait to try CX F on this december.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by SFO777
I'll call her anything she asks me to call her.
Met Barba*ahem*Nigel on a flight to TPE once. Very nice woman.

Glad there's another report from you SFO777. Always a wonderful read!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Showtime!

While our three FAs provided outstanding service overall, it just wasn't quite as polished and as "on" as some of our other CX flights. Believe it was an SFO-based crew if that makes a difference.

The caviar and salad is always a winner, especially with Krug.
CX regulars will notice a glaring omission from the set up.

Yup. No hand written welcome and thank you note. First time I haven't received one.

I love mushrooms and mushroom soup, and this version was excellent. And more Krug.

On the other hand, the mesclun salad with grilled shrimp and balsamic vinegar was not very good. The dressing was dreadful.

Another glass of Krug. The Vincent Girardin Puligny was nice although it would have been better if it hadn't just been opened.
Interesting turbulence show with the wine!

The steamed lobster with ginger scallion and imperial soy sauce is always good, although the presentation and taste was not quite as good as previous occasions.

Excellent cheese plate, accompanied by the Ramos Pinto Quinto 10 year Tawny

The chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and raspberry coulis was delicious.

And pralines to finish part one.

The usual mid flight wontons in noodle soup.

Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner service began about two and half hours out, with the usual fruit plate.
Still no hand-written note.

The grilled kurobuta pork chop with red wine jus was outstanding.
The Shingleback McLaren Vale Shiraz was OK. Nothing special like QF.

More dessert of course. The mango and white chocolate cake and raspberry sauce was very good.

Our 14+ hours passed pretty quickly as I watched three movies and 4 (rerun) episodes of my favorite TV show Suits... all of which was probably way too much on the old 747 Studio CX version. Didn't realize how much I missed the 77W system.

Overall another very good CX flight. I do love CX and, next to SQ, it's my favorite airline. But I know how good it can be, and it just wasn't 100% tonight.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
[QUOTE=SFO777;19637437]CX 879
SFO-HKG
747-400
November 4, 2012
11:50A-6:50P +1 (sked)
12:30P-6:50P +1 (actual)
Departed 9/9
Seats 2K

A timely report. Will be in your exact same seat in about a week. Hopefully does not go out 9/9. Only showing 2/9 so far. Can't wait to read the rest.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
[QUOTE=Goosh;19638564]
CX 879
SFO-HKG
747-400
November 4, 2012
11:50A-6:50P +1 (sked)
12:30P-6:50P +1 (actual)
Departed 9/9
Seats 2K

A timely report. Will be in your exact same seat in about a week. Hopefully does not go out 9/9. Only showing 2/9 so far. Can't wait to read the rest.
I've got the same exact seat this weekend! Guess you're not on my flight. :-P
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: most of them
Looking forward to the rest. Hope you got a chance to see some of Burma. It's a fascinating place. Make sure you get up to Bagan on one of these trips.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Fabulous SFO777 !
I left you in Sicily, now you're turning the world again.
You're a giant.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Another great report, really looking forward to the rest! I was in SFO on Monday, surprised I didn't see your FT luggage tags! Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrived on time back at LAX this morning and waiting at 44J for my AE flight to DEN. I'll try to catch up and finish his off by the end of the weekend. But a short preview.
After the disappointing BKK-ICN KE regional F flight, I was worried about how long-haul KE would compare with CX. I must say I was absolutely blown away by my 11 hours in near charter like conditions. It was most attentive and flawless in flight service in recent memory. Based on this one experience, I would personally rank KE in the same in flight league as CX/SQ league.

Originally Posted by Love_to_Travels
Nice report. cannot wait to try CX F on this december.
Thanks Love_to_Travels. You will so enjoy.

Originally Posted by b-kpf
Met Barba*ahem*Nigel on a flight to TPE once. Very nice woman.
Glad there's another report from you SFO777. Always a wonderful read!
Thank our b-kph. Glad to hear she's nice!

Originally Posted by Goosh
With only 9, even a full cabin is still a great experience.

[QUOTE=iceman77_7;19638861]
Originally Posted by Goosh
I've got the same exact seat this weekend! Guess you're not on my flight. :-P
Good choice. 2K is the perfect westbound choic for theh solo pax.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Looking forward to the rest. Hope you got a chance to see some of Burma. It's a fascinating place. Make sure you get up to Bagan on one of these trips.
I'm really I went and spend a few hours sightseeing. People are very friendly and prices are reasonable. Other tha the cell phone, it's almost like turning backth clock 30-40 years,

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Fabulous SFO777 !
I left you in Sicily, now you're turning the world again.
You're a giant.
Don't know about that one but thanks for th high praise. Glad you're enjoying

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Another great report, really looking forward to the rest! I was in SFO on Monday, surprised I didn't see your FT luggage tags! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much Texas Tea!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, AF, BA, KE, SQ, CX, DL, TG
agree

After the disappointing BKK-ICN KE regional F flight, I was worried about how long-haul KE would compare with CX. I must say I was absolutely blown away by my 11 hours in near charter like conditions. It was most attentive and flawless in flight service in recent memory. Based on this one experience, I would personally rank KE in the same in flight league as CX/SQ league.
Yes!... I did this 3 weeks before you and thought the same! I meant after I did many of EK, EY, CX, BA, LH, TG (and soon SQ OZ JL NH QF) in F, I have to say that KE A380 F experience was up there! maybe was just my flight? but it was flawless too.... very attentive... oh but the lounge at ICN was another story, it was more like J lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by concorde02
Yes!... I did this 3 weeks before you and thought the same! I meant after I did many of EK, EY, CX, BA, LH, TG (and soon SQ OZ JL NH QF) in F, I have to say that KE A380 F experience was up there! maybe was just my flight? but it was flawless too.... very attentive... oh but the lounge at ICN was another story, it was more like J lounge.
Glad to hear we both had the same experience and it wasn't just a one off. Also agree on your assessment of KE's FCL lounge. Better than their J lounge but not in the same league as a proper FCL.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you for this marvellous recap of your Cathay experience with fantastic photos! I look forward to seeing your KE First photos, but even more I look forward to reclaiming a seat up in the nose of Cathay's 747. Maybe next year.

After I'd heard that the RGN fare would not be honored, I never bothered to check back on its thread even though I continued to see a lot of activity on it. I remembered the discussions of that $20.00 r/t on BA (of which I bought two tickets) going on long after it had ended and figured there was a similar situation with this fare. Alas... I was wrong...

Glad things worked out for you though, especially as we get another excellent trip report out of it. Thanks! ^^
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With an on time arrival, was able to spend a couple hours with Short hair Francis. Thanks Francis for making the trek out to HKG.

CX 709
HKG-BKK
A330-300
November 5, 2012
10:00P-11:50P (sked and actual)
Seat 15H

Since CX does not typically offer 3 class service to BKK, had to settle for J on this two and a half hour flight. Dated but comfortable product. Excellent and attentive service throughout.

Billecart as the regional "house" champagne. ^

The Thai Yellow Curry was very good.

FAs distributed Premium Lane C&I passes. But most pax didn't know what they meant and/or never made it to the Premium area, as the lines were pretty non existent when I got there.

With a midnight arrival and an early return the next morning, I was looking for a conveniently located hotel. The Novotel is very close and only a 5 minute (underground) walk. But caution: The walkway is not marked... also apparently not open after midnight. I suppose that's because it uses the train access and the train does not operate after midnight. There is also a shuttle bus that operates every fifteen minutes 24/7. It departs from Door 4 (far right as you exit baggage claim) and will get you to the hotel in about 3 minutes. There is a Novotel transfer desk at Door 4.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 8, 2012 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thank you for this marvellous recap of your Cathay experience with fantastic photos! I look forward to seeing your KE First photos, but even more I look forward to reclaiming a seat up in the nose of Cathay's 747. Maybe next year.

After I'd heard that the RGN fare would not be honored, I never bothered to check back on its thread even though I continued to see a lot of activity on it. I remembered the discussions of that $20.00 r/t on BA (of which I bought two tickets) going on long after it had ended and figured there was a similar situation with this fare. Alas... I was wrong...

Glad things worked out for you though, especially as we get another excellent trip report out of it. Thanks! ^^
Thanks very much Seat 2A for your kind comments. Hope you get another CX First trip real soon.
Yeah, what a roller coaster on the RGN mistake fare deals. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and made the trip.
The bonus was spectacular KE First. Will try to get those pics up ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.