Search

Alitalia Classica Plus JFK-MXP-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Alitalia Classica Plus JFK-MXP-JFK

Welcome to my first trip report!

I haven't seen much on Alitalia's Classica Plus (or premium economy) so here's my report.

AZ605 JFK-MXP
Didn't see any sign for Classica Plus or Business/Magnifica passengers at ticket counter. I asked an agent who seemed to be a kind of greeter where to check in for Classica Plus. She pointed behind her to two agents, but there was no indication/sign that these two agents were for Business or Classica Plus. Since one of the agents was free, I was able to check in very quickly. I had previously chosen seat 8G based on Seatexpert's comment that it was a good seat due to nobody reclining back into you.

I went to the Air France lounge since the reviews were much better than the Alitalia lounge. I thought the lounge was fine, but nothing great. There were two types of sandwich wrap, one of them being grilled chicken. I tried it and it was quite tasty! There were some English language newspapers and business travel magazines. There is a shower. The lounge was pretty much completely full at 5:30.

Boarding: very much less stressful than Delta flights. Economy passengers formed their own long line. There were very few passengers for the one priority line: Business, Classica Plus and Skypriority. Therefore, there was no waiting or jostling in line.

Bulkhead seats: Here's a photo of the window bulkhead seats.

I found that legroom was insufficient due to the bulkhead wall. I saw all six of the bulkhead passengers (three of them were women) put their feet on the wall at one time or other so I think that everybody felt this way. I would judge the recline to be about one or two inches more than on DL domestic first class. The seat material was hard, particularly there seems to be a bar half way up the seat (above the lumbar region) that was uncomfortable.

A predeparture drink was offered. A nice amenity kit was passed out as well as noise cancelling headphones. The amenity kit had socks, eyeshade, emory board, Bulgari hand cream, toothbrush, Pureneige moisturizing cream, lip balm, toothpaste and ear plugs in a hard plastic case.

Drink service before dinner, then dinner was served (beef or pasta); as others have noted, it's the same food as in coach. Bottled water is handed out after dinner. Classica Plus passengers are supposed to use the lavoratories in coach (half way back); however, about half a dozen people did use the lavs in Business class. This seems to be tolerated particularly during meal service when it would be hard to get to the coach lavs. I did see a few people sent back from their attempt to go up front after meal service was finished in Business.

AZ604 MXP-JFK

I arrived very early at check in, so there was no line for Coach or Skypriority. I was directed to Salon Clementi which has all the charm of a contract lounge, although it has a nice coffee machine. Again, no problem to checkin at the Skypriority line at the gate.

For the return flight, I changed my seat to the second row of Classica Plus (row 9). Here's a photo of my seat in the full recline position.

I found the legroom to be much better; I could extend my legs fully. However, note that there is an AVOD box that does take up some of the space. The situation is better in the case of the window seats; the AVOD box is at the edge of the footwell.

Magnifica amenity kits were handed out this time in Classica Plus. It's a very nice cream Bulgari bag with socks, eyeshade, earplugs, Omnia eau de toilette, Bulgari after shave emulsion, toothbrush and toothpaste, Bulgari source defense emulsion, Bulgari body lotion, Bulgari lip balm, razor blade and shaving cream.

There were plenty of empty seats. All single passengers on both flights had at least one empty seat next to them. For instance, on the return flight, there was only one couple and 8 single passengers (21 seats: 3 rows of 2-3-2).

Last edited by duluthDL; Oct 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reason: factual correction
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: DELTA MM
Wow, looks pretty tight
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AtlantaTraveller
Wow, looks pretty tight
I disagree....for an economy plus product I think it looks pretty spacious. It's not that long ago long haul J had a similar set up.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Bulgari amenity kit in Y+ looks cool.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:40 am

Interesting combination, food identical to Y but an amenity kit better than some I've received in J.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
deleted

Last edited by jtrader; Nov 23, 2012 at 9:20 am Reason: posting in AZ forum instead
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
I did AZ Y+ LAX-FCO on their updated 772 in June. Much nicer product than the A330. I like the hard shell seats. Bulk head also had more room. I am 6'1" and was able to stretch my legs completely out. Looking forward to another AZ trip this spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.