Wiki Posts
Search

My First TR: Burma at a Glance via Myanmar Airways (8M) and Yangon Airways

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
Thank you.

I'm glad you enjoyed the commentary. I thought it wouldn't take long to write those but if you write just a short paragraph for each picture, you'd soon end up writing a couple of thousand of words when you have over 100 pictures.

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Great TR - always very curious about countries less travelled. Great to be able to see and read commentary like this...!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Happy to see that you liked it.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. It was such an odd site to see a business jet at a small airport in a very poor region of Burma. There must be business opportunities everywhere.

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Excellent report! I wonder who was using the Australia registered citation to jet around Burma.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed the pictures and my commentary (and my feeble attempts to find humor in travel/culture).

That tradition of sharing drinking cups is not limited to Burma though. In Vietnam, at a roadside food stall, there will be a bunch of cups for people to drink tea from a tea pot. When I was growing up there, I had no problems doing what everyone was doing. After living in the US for a while, that just grosses me out.

On the other hand, that tradition of sharing drinking cups at the water cooler in Burma and elsewhere would disappear overnight if there were an infectious disease that spread via sharing cups.

Originally Posted by bucketlist
Appreciate the photos and commentary.

Reminds me to bring along the uV sterilizer for "bottled" water when I go on my adventure there early next year!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Wow, your pictures are really, really nice. They look like they're from an expensive DSLR.

I always debate which cameras to take with me before a trip. A heavy and expensive DSLR could give you excellent pictures (or mediocre ones) but they tend to attract attention and sometimes that's not too desirable. A prosumer P&S camera is discreet and easier for you take pictures of people but it's hard to get excellent pictures out of them--most are just OK.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Great report. I spent a couple of weeks there last November so your photos bring a lot of memories.

I tend to not shoot enough people pictures.
https://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve/Myanmar2011

My internal flights were all on Air Bagan. There are 4 or 5 airlines all flying the same routes around the country.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps you didn't recognize the tongue-in-cheek tone of my voice.

The fact of the matter is I love the "parade". I love the feast/gluttony at 35,000 ft, although I'm not sure I can actually eat everything being offered.

If I didn't like those things, I probably wouldn't be on this forum.

Originally Posted by whimike
Who said OP isn't entitled to their opinion or there is a problem?

"So I’m sorry there won’t be any obligatory pictures of me parading through dedicated check-in counters, the business lounge, the food spread, the bulky seats, and of course, the much anticipated feast/gluttony at 35,000 feet."

I think those two key words sum it up, since you mentioned it.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by bonsaisai
Wow, your pictures are really, really nice. They look like they're from an expensive DSLR.

I always debate which cameras to take with me before a trip. A heavy and expensive DSLR could give you excellent pictures (or mediocre ones) but they tend to attract attention and sometimes that's not too desirable. A prosumer P&S camera is discreet and easier for you take pictures of people but it's hard to get excellent pictures out of them--most are just OK.
Yes, those pictures were taken with a DSLR (Nikon D7000). When I travel is usually take just a couple of lenses and most of those were shot with a Tamron 18-270mm pzd lens which is very compact and light. So the whole kit is not too heavy really or big. I usually travel with a private guide and typically a driver/car so it's not so bad if the equipment weighs a bit. Having a native with me makes me feel a good bit safer I suppose but I have never really worried at all in my travels around SE Asia.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Nice! I only have a D70 and I mostly use it for food photography at home because it's a bit too bulky for me to walk around with it.

Traveling with a local guide and driver is the way to go. They can provide "cover" for you while you're taking pictures and can help if you make any culture faux pas.

I'm glad to hear that you've got good results with the Tamron lens. I was considering buying the Nikon lens 18-280 mm; it's supposed to be very good but it's twice as expensive as the Tamron. Still debating.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Yes, those pictures were taken with a DSLR (Nikon D7000). When I travel is usually take just a couple of lenses and most of those were shot with a Tamron 18-270mm pzd lens which is very compact and light. So the whole kit is not too heavy really or big. I usually travel with a private guide and typically a driver/car so it's not so bad if the equipment weighs a bit. Having a native with me makes me feel a good bit safer I suppose but I have never really worried at all in my travels around SE Asia.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bonsaisai
Nice! I only have a D70 and I mostly use it for food photography at home because it's a bit too bulky for me to walk around with it.

Traveling with a local guide and driver is the way to go. They can provide "cover" for you while you're taking pictures and can help if you make any culture faux pas.

I'm glad to hear that you've got good results with the Tamron lens. I was considering buying the Nikon lens 18-280 mm; it's supposed to be very good but it's twice as expensive as the Tamron. Still debating.
Nikon has a new 18-300mm lens coming out soon. But yeah, Nikkors will always be a premium. I had a Nikkor 18-200 but I didn't feel like it gave me quite as much reach as I wanted so I sold it and ended up with the Tamron. Of course any of these superzooms are a bit less than sharp at the telephoto end and you have to hold as still as possible or use a tripod to get the best results.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:51 am

The pics were fantastic - thank you! How did you find your guides in Yangon and Bagan? We will be there in December and would appreciate any other tips you may have. Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

I didn't travel with a guide. I did everything by myself, except purchasing domestic air tickets through a travel agent (and had to pay wire transfer fees because they couldn't accept credit cards). I was a bit apprehensive at first but a friend of mine just came back and told me that it was so easy to explore without a guide. So I did.

If you have a travel partner or travel in a group, it'd not be a bad idea to design your own itinerary and go with a guide and a driver from some of the recommended tour agencies.

Unlike so many destinations in Asia, Burma is not used to see hordes of tourists; Burmese have not learned to make a living off the tourism industry. Touting, scams, cheating, and robbery are uncommon. Everywhere I went (and I'm a little Asian guy), I found that people treated me fairly, although with curious looks because I often went off the beaten path and and was a solo traveler. I never feared for my physical safety and I even received random acts of kindness. I survived with no knowledge of the local language. It was surprisingly easy to go around, given the poor tourist infrastructures.

Originally Posted by execplatboston
The pics were fantastic - thank you! How did you find your guides in Yangon and Bagan? We will be there in December and would appreciate any other tips you may have. Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:24 am

My trip was arranged by an agency I use in Banhkok for most of my trips around SE Asia. But they use a local partner in Myanmar so I would cut out the middle man in that situation. The in-country partner was a company called EPG Travel. They have website epgtravel.com. Overall I thought they did a pretty good job. The guide I had in Bagan was especially good, probably one of the top two or three guides I have had over the course of all my trips. The guy in Yangon was very good too.

I guess I am not quite adventurous enough to go totally on my own. And I can afford to have a guide/driver. The best guides in a situation like that are able to tailor the day to what you want to do rather than sticking to a set plan that must be followed which can make for a great experience. I think they save time as well since they know where to go at what times. Wandering on your own can be a great way to discover things but you can also end up with a lot of dead ends or just missing out on something.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:09 am

Thx to both of you. I will contact EPG Travel - thx for the tip!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:59 pm

Fantastic. I always wanted to go.

What shots did you need? Did you get sick there?

Even on a 7 hour flight on a US airline the food sucks. The food looks great on Burmese carriers.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Actually you don't need any shots, not officially anyway.

I was fortunate enough not to get sick even though knowing that Burma's standards of hygiene are not quite there, I fully expected to get at least stomachache. I didn't get any. I was cautious at first but soon threw my caution out the window and started eating street foods, drinking sugarcane juice with ice (it was too hot) and things like that. I think getting food poisoning is quite rare and unfortunate. It can happen anywhere, First World or Third World, at any time. To be sure, bring some Pepto Bismol pills and give your tummy some aid at the first sight/sound of trouble.

Yes, even a carrier from a Third World country that's under international sanctions has better service than US-based carriers.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic. I always wanted to go.

What shots did you need? Did you get sick there?

Even on a 7 hour flight on a US airline the food sucks. The food looks great on Burmese carriers.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:42 am

Thanks for this! Loved your photos and commentary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.