Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

YOU travel? How the one-in-a-million girl rolls…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YOU travel? How the one-in-a-million girl rolls…

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:40 pm

Jen when are you coming back. I was enjoying your posts.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
Enjoyed this perspective - able-bodied folks have a lot to learn about those in chairs. We just dropped my para brother-in-law and his daughter off in BOS for their flight to LHR. He travels a lot now. Apparently when they got to LHR there was some issue about the rental car with hand controls, because relatives in Oxford explained that the rental car company had driven them to Oxford, with the car showing up later.

Anyway, enjoying these posts!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
OMG! I have to shine in and be honest, probably it's very selfish of me but i skip TR without photos. I'm a very visual person and enjoy seeing. One of my hobbies is Photography along many others. I just appreciate the colors and forms of whatever surround us.

Let me tell you it's 1:20AM here. I'm almost closing my eyes but couldn't because i really enjoy your writing skills and find very interesting what's to travel on your condition. Your story,your thoughts and pretty much everything.

I'm really glad you have a handsome gentleman as a boyfriend!! Just read the first post, will continue reading tomorrow but great TR. Thanks for your time and posting.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I will also be searching for the lightest woman at the gate every flight to carry her aboard.
Mee, carry me i weight 44kgs!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Any more updates? Can't wait to read more
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by jenpdx
The great thing about air travel in the US is that, thanks to the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), airlines can’t discriminate against disabled passengers. Unlike in Europe or Asia, where airlines may require advance notice or “strive to provide services to disabled passengers” (and the extent of the striving is subject to many paragraphs of fine print), or refuse to serve disabled passengers at all, in the US I can roll up to the gate and they have to allow me onboard.
I really enjoyed reading your trip report. It was entertaining and educational ( it is sometimes hard to understand for not disabled people what kind of red tape airlines come up with in case of transporting disabled people). Thank you for that.

In case you want to fly with a European carrier again. Here is the EU legislation concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when travelling by air. In case you already know of it my pardon.

Regulation (EC) No 1107/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 July 2006 concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when travelling by air

EU legislation is binding to all EU member states and can be enforced by court.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:14 am

I have been paying attention to disabled access/parking/facilities a lot more since this post. In particular watching the people that use them, and in my estimation very few warrant the handicap placard for parking, and almost none of the people I see enter bathroom stalls are handicapped. As for airport assistance to the gate and on the plane. Many I see do require the assistance, but a few acre clearly just taking advantage. This post has opened my eyes more to the issues. Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Any more updates? Can't wait to read more
I was going to post the same thing. jenpdx seems to have quit posting anything.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Jen hasn't logged on since June. Hope everything is all right......
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

I have been remiss in providing Flyertalk updates, and I apologize for not finishing this trip report earlier! I had a busy summer, finished my Master’s degree, and traveled back to Asia (HK, Kuala Lumpur, and Bali), to Europe (Paris, Switzerland, Germany), and Kauai. Now that the rainy season starts in Portland, I’m ready to dedicate some more time to this trip report. I don’t want to overpromise, so you will likely never hear about how I almost got stuck on an Alaska plane, or what almost superhuman effort was involved in our journey from the Kuala Lumpur low cost terminal to KL Sentral station. But, I will go through my notes and talk about HK and Thailand some more. And, there WILL be pictures, even if it’s the last thing I do!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have been remiss in providing Flyertalk updates, and I apologize for not finishing this trip report earlier! I had a busy summer, finished my Master’s degree, and traveled back to Asia (HK, Kuala Lumpur, and Bali), to Europe (Paris, Switzerland, Germany), and Kauai. Now that the rainy season starts in Portland, I’m ready to dedicate some more time to this trip report. I don’t want to overpromise, so you will likely never hear about how I almost got stuck on an Alaska plane, or what almost superhuman effort was involved in our journey from the Kuala Lumpur low cost terminal to KL Sentral station. But, I will go through my notes and talk about HK and Thailand some more. And, there WILL be pictures, even if it’s the last thing I do!
I'm glad to hear you are OK and still travelling.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Looking forward to your updates, Jen. Really enjoyed so far!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:28 pm

cool, you're back!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by aviator8
I have been paying attention to disabled access/parking/facilities a lot more since this post. In particular watching the people that use them, and in my estimation very few warrant the handicap placard for parking, and almost none of the people I see enter bathroom stalls are handicapped. As for airport assistance to the gate and on the plane. Many I see do require the assistance, but a few acre clearly just taking advantage. This post has opened my eyes more to the issues. Thanks
Please keep in mind there are those of us that do our best to conceal our handicaps (yes, I have more than one as an amputee with Spina Bifida). Don't assume because you've "deemed" they don't look handicapped to you that they don't have handicaps. When I'm on my pain meds I walk around pretty normally. But when they wear off, I start going downhill fast (usually during the long hikes around airports or standing more than 5 or 10 minutes anyplace). Unless you have x-ray vision, and are a doctor, you're making assumptions that are very unfair to many of us. I get pain surges up and down my legs and back that take my breath away and I can't move when they hit without warning about 30 times a day. The pain lasts about a minute or two but I do my best to act like nothing is wrong. The pain meds don't even phase those particular pain surges. But I still travel regardless if people think I don't look handicapped. At least I've succeeded in concealing it from judgmental folks out there that think they know what's going on when they really have no clue I've got bionic parts and misfiring nerves that make it a real challenge to get from point A to point B anytime I travel
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Sounds like a busy fun summer! More details please.

There was just recently an article in the nyt about wheelchair abusers during traveling. I'll have to dig it up.

FDW
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Sounds like a busy fun summer! More details please.

There was just recently an article in the nyt about wheelchair abusers during traveling. I'll have to dig it up.

FDW
Referenced here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19457096-post30.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.