Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss A330 Business Class JFK-Zurich

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Swiss A330 Business Class JFK-Zurich

I had a business trip to Zurich, and I flew LX. I was in New York for business before this trip, so I just flew non-stop JFK to ZRH instead of flying back to SFO and taking the SFO-ZRH non-stop. My company paid for the business class ticket, so I don't know how much it cost. I tried to use my miles to upgrade to first class, but there was no availability according to the ANA tool.

LX's business class, however, is simply excellent. The single seats are completely single; they really almost like a first class seat with nobody on either side of you. The seat is 100% lie-flat also, not angled lie flat.

I must say that flights from East Coast to Europe are simply too short. By the time you eat and get settled in for sleep, you only have about 3 hours to sleep before breakfast. The flight is only 7 hours, which is only 1 hour longer than a flight from the East Coast of the USA to California. Ideal is California to Europe, which is a 10 hour flight. That gives you a nice solid 7 or so hours of sleep during the flight.

My complete trip report is here in commercial-free video format, as I always exclusively do now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qso8Mb8Npro

I have also included some photos so you can get an idea of the experience:

seat 4K by sfflyer123, on Flickr

champagne pre flight by sfflyer123, on Flickr

quollfrisch beer and cashews by sfflyer123, on Flickr

chicken, rice, broccoli by sfflyer123, on Flickr

cheese by sfflyer123, on Flickr

espresso and dessert by sfflyer123, on Flickr

Again, the complete trip report is on my commercial-free video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qso8Mb8Npro

I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for watching!
Old May 12, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
You always put together a nice report. Thanks!
Old May 13, 2012, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!! I'm glad you have a great flight. More enjoyable flying in J class.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:04 am

Very good video report (as always!) Sometimes I hope you can travel much more often and bring us more report! How about private trips?
Old May 13, 2012, 7:34 am

Wow... Very interesting. Particularly I loved the way the table popped out. Thank you very much SFflyer123.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Top class as always SFflyer123 - Swiss is on my to-do list!
Old May 13, 2012, 3:12 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Excellent report as always. I was a bit surprised that an European carrier of the caliber of LX only offers a salad for appetizer and a continental breakfast as a second meal in J. I understand that this is a short East Coast - Europe trip but even AA can manage to offer shrimps as appetizer on their transcon dinner flights. For the price of a J tkt LX could also throw in some cold cuts and cheese with the continental breakfast. Other than that the rest of the J product looks great. The seat and tray table are awesome.
Old May 13, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I think I'd need more than a beer to cheer me up after the crash stats.
Old May 13, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know why there are no personal a/c vents/nozzles on LX? I broiled on my JFK--ZRH a few months ago. The new business class seat and service are superb if you don't mind being a tad warm while you sleep.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RJNYC
Does anyone know why there are no personal a/c vents/nozzles on LX? I broiled on my JFK--ZRH a few months ago. The new business class seat and service are superb if you don't mind being a tad warm while you sleep.
A lot of foreign carriers don't have them. I've flown LH, LX, SQ, EK, QR, and TG in the past month, and only EK/QR had them on their aircraft. I'll give you one guess as to why Emirates and Qatar have personal A/C nozzles ...

Another great TR SFflyer123.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You always put together a nice report. Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! What a fabulous TR!! I'm glad you have a great flight. More enjoyable flying in J class.
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by luv_flying
Very good video report (as always!) Sometimes I hope you can travel much more often and bring us more report! How about private trips?
Thank you. How do you private trips? You mean vacation instead of work? I wish I had more private trips. 95% of my travel is work!

Originally Posted by sushiinSYD
Wow... Very interesting. Particularly I loved the way the table popped out. Thank you very much SFflyer123.
Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by stu1985
Top class as always SFflyer123 - Swiss is on my to-do list!
Thanks for your comment!

Originally Posted by aw
Excellent report as always. I was a bit surprised that an European carrier of the caliber of LX only offers a salad for appetizer and a continental breakfast as a second meal in J. I understand that this is a short East Coast - Europe trip but even AA can manage to offer shrimps as appetizer on their transcon dinner flights. For the price of a J tkt LX could also throw in some cold cuts and cheese with the continental breakfast. Other than that the rest of the J product looks great. The seat and tray table are awesome.
Thanks. Yeah, I was a little surprised also. I wonder if it's because the flight is so short and most people want to sleep. I agree. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I think I'd need more than a beer to cheer me up after the crash stats.
LOL! Yeah, I need more filler during take-offs!

Originally Posted by RJNYC
Yeah, I agree. At least on UA, you can cool off with the vent if the cabin is too hot.

Originally Posted by amolkold
Another great TR SFflyer123.
Thanks for your kind words!
Old May 15, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Nice video report, as always!

Impressed by the seat, not impressed by the food (compared with the First Class-style offerings on OS in C I experienced a few months ago).

-Tom
Old May 15, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Thanks! Did the same trip recently and as most of LX flights, they are too short .
Old May 16, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Originally Posted by tomashi
Nice video report, as always!

Impressed by the seat, not impressed by the food (compared with the First Class-style offerings on OS in C I experienced a few months ago).

-Tom
Yeah, I agree. The food is not great. Even though it may look good, but it's not super great. Thanks for the comment.

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Thanks! Did the same trip recently and as most of LX flights, they are too short .
Thank you very much for the comment!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aw
Quite disappointing that the salad/bread/cheese/main dish all arrive on one tray plopped down in front of you. Should be separate salad/bread/appetizer course then main then dessert. Didnt they use to start with an appetizer choice? or is that only on daytime flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.