Search

Farewell Miles, with ANA, Thai and Asiana with ANA's International 787 in C

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
wow these pictures are simply stunning! thanks for the look at the 787
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Nicely done. What kind of camera are you using?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by blackmamba
wow these pictures are simply stunning! thanks for the look at the 787
Glad you enjoyed blackmamba

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Nicely done. What kind of camera are you using?
Thanks BostonFlyer1624. I'm shooting with two cameras in this trip report:
  • My Pain the in Backside Canon 50D (with either a Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Canon 17-40L f4 lens) - used for the majority of the photos
  • Apple iPhone 4 - used for a lot of the more "social", "sneek" or "in a hurry" shots

Cameraphones -they have their place!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs up

I know there is a reason you are one of my favorite trip forum writers. This report is on top of all the excellent reports you have done. Nothing less than magnificent!

Love the photos as always!

I got to get my act together to fly the ANA 787 before it gets old! I have now flown about a dozen A380 flights, and is in need of injecting "new excitement" in my air travel!

Outstanding coverage of the ANA Business Cabin and in-flight meal services. I am actually planning To have ANA Business class flying as the focus of my next upcoming TR in this forum, but now will delay it.......this report puts mt contents to shame!

I, too, stayed at the same Intercontinental Tokyo hotel you stayed. Nice hotel with a decent breakfast buffet. My room came with unlimited use of in-room mini-bar.....I can't remember much of my stay there!

I also had a wonderful experience at the same ANA lounge you visited. As matter of fact, I also visited the same HK SQ and Thai lounges, Asiana lounge in Seoul and Senator lounge (last week) at FRA. I am still in love with the dim sum offerings at the SQ lounge and have skipped the UA HK lounge for 2 years now despite of my lifetime membership.

Thanks for the info on the K11 camera cleaning shop. The Hyatt Regency that connects tonthe K11 is my hotel of choice in HK. You need to tell me about the type and make of glass filters I should get for my Nikkor lens....I have been using the cheap Vivitar ones simply for protection only.

My next trip will be intercontinental in Y (have not done Y long haul in 5 years) and I hoping to duplicate your regularly (and excellently) written reports covering economy travel if I recover from my flu (got it from Amsterdam last week)

BTW, it took me an hour to read this TR (and I didn't even click trought to various links you provided).....just show you how much I am enjoying this TR!

Great job on this epic trip!^

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Mar 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I know there is a reason you are one of my favorite trip forum writers. This report is on top of all the excellent reports you have done. Nothing less than magnificent!
Thanks for the praise UA_Flyer, it's really appreciated.

I got to get my act together to fly the ANA 787 before it gets old! I have now flown about a dozen A380 flights, and is in need of injecting "new excitement" in my air travel!
I don't honestly know how, but I've still managed to avoid the A380's so far. I suspect I'll get to them... eventually...

I just saw 787 redemption seats appear on the BMI inventory system. I grabbed them with both hands, and hoped there would be no equipment swap (thankfully - there wasn't!)

Outstanding coverage of the ANA Business Cabin and in-flight meal services. I am actually planning To have ANA Business class flying as the focus of my next upcoming TR in this forum, but now will delay it.......this report puts mt contents to shame!
Ahh - but you'll get different angles and different ideas - it what makes all the trip reports unique on FlyerTalk

I, too, stayed at the same Intercontinental Tokyo hotel you stayed. Nice hotel with a decent breakfast buffet. My room came with unlimited use of in-room mini-bar.....I can't remember much of my stay there!
I'm sadly only a mere AMB... Not an RA (I don't think my wallet could survive that!). It was a lovely hotel - not what you expect at all, but with great service.

I also had a wonderful experience at the same ANA lounge you visited. As matter of fact, I also visited the same HK SQ and Thai lounges, Asiana lounge in Seoul and Senator lounge (last week) at FRA. I am still in love with the dim sum offerings at the SQ lounge and have skipped the UA HK lounge for 2 years now despite of my lifetime membership.
The HND lounge is my idea of a great lounge. Good views, lots of light, peace and quiet and a noodle bar .

I've got to admit, 2 out of 2 visits to HKG, and I've made a beeline each time to the SQ lounge each time. It's something about that lounge I like - probably the bottle of Piper that's there (Even though it is rather muted in colours).

Thanks for the info on the K11 camera cleaning shop. The Hyatt Regency that connects tonthe K11 is my hotel of choice in HK. You need to tell me about the type and make of glass filters I should get for my Nikkor lens....I have been using the cheap Vivitar ones simply for protection only.
The problem with Hong Kong is that there are a LOT of Electronics shops (especially on Nathan Road). That's fine and dandy, but if you need a quick service or clean, you need a camera shop. And finding that Camera shop was a godsend. One I'd happily use again.

Filters... are a bad subject with me (my last one met the floor of Man Wa lane.... and didn't survive) . I prefer Hoya filters for the reasonable UV coatings... but my wallet doesn't. If it's just protection.. then you're fine in most respects. Personally I *HATE* filters (one more bit of glass between me and the image), but on a couple of lenses I live with them for protection purposes (like the Man Wa lane incident where all that brought the farm was the filter... and nothing else).

My next trip will be intercontinental in Y (have not done Y long haul in 5 years) and I hoping to duplicate your regularly (and excellently) written reports covering economy travel if I recover from my flu (got it from Amsterdam last week)
1) Get better soon!
2) I'm back in United Economy very shortly too. This is going to be one hell of a comedown from *Good* business class travel!

BTW, it took me an hour to read this TR (and I didn't even click trought to various links you provided).....just show you how much I am enjoying this TR!

Great job on this epic trip!^
Again, I'm really glad you enjoyed the TR. The next one won't be that epicly long (least of all... I doubt I can fit 5,000 words about UA Economy... let alone the 18k here!)

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:12 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Well, I read that lot in one sitting Excellent stuff as usual ^ Must sort out a trip on the 787!

I was fortunate enough to travel to Tokyo (& Osaka) last year - loved it. ANA are indeed a class act. A bit "odd" in some ways though. Generally world class service & facilities agreed but anomalies too. We flew First & the F lounge out of NRT is, frankly, pretty cra+p (well, very basic is perhaps more accurate) & service aboard, was a little "cold" for my taste. But the quality of food went from amazing - the Wagyu beef was stunning, restaurant quality (better, actually)...to the sandwich of some kind of pork which was just

Never really got on well with HKG Don't really get it. Will be there for 24 hours in a few months time - what would you recommend to "wow" us if you had just 24 hours in town?

Looking forward to the next report....
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Well, I read that lot in one sitting Excellent stuff as usual ^ Must sort out a trip on the 787!
When I put digital pen to payer, I didn't realise how long it would be.

I'd still say whilst there are only a few of them buzzing around the world, the 787 will be special. Once they're in daily use, it'll be like catching another clapped out 767 somewhere...

Originally Posted by NoY
I was fortunate enough to travel to Tokyo (& Osaka) last year - loved it. ANA are indeed a class act. A bit "odd" in some ways though. Generally world class service & facilities agreed but anomalies too. We flew First & the F lounge out of NRT is, frankly, pretty cra+p (well, very basic is perhaps more accurate) & service aboard, was a little "cold" for my taste. But the quality of food went from amazing - the Wagyu beef was stunning, restaurant quality (better, actually)...to the sandwich of some kind of pork which was just
Thankfully, I had no odd food issues. Otherwise, the criticism would be flowing out. Perhaps all that flying in United Economy has taught me that anything with a nicer seat and in proper plates is an upgrade in itself...

Originally Posted by NoY
Never really got on well with HKG Don't really get it. Will be there for 24 hours in a few months time - what would you recommend to "wow" us if you had just 24 hours in town?
I always treat Hong Kong as an Asian City with a British Twist. For 24 hours in Hong Kong, it does depends on the conditions (I had to wear a light fleece most of the time in Hong Kong this time!!!).

I'm concluding more and more that the MTR isn't for me, and I switched to the Tram and Ferry mostly on this trip which made life a lot easier for me. If you've got time, these are great ways to get around.

When it reopens, the cable car to the Buddha at Ngong Ping 360 is meant to be relaxing. They Symphony of Lights on TST waterfront is a cliché of Hong Kong, but works quite well on an overcast night before heading to the night markets to engage in the fine art of bartering

I was going to head to The Peak this trip, but the cloud level was so low, it wasn't worth it. If you have a clear day - go. I saw a fair few good self guided tours on TripAdvisor City Guides App for iPhone (which was invaluable in Tokyo - it made finding some places quite easy with that app!)

Alternativly, just find a nice pub in Wan Chai and call it quits for the day

Originally Posted by NoY
Looking forward to the next report....
I think I'm going to have *major* issues topping this thing. But who knows...

Thanks NoY
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:29 am

I was playing some jazz music while reading your report, thoroughly enjoyed !
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report, thanks. I'm stunned at the massive pile of luggage you travelled with for such as short trip - and I noticed you made a few references to heavy rucksacks so presumably you were feeling it too. Why so much stuff? I thought that I was an overpacker, but I'd take half that.

What did you think of the overall design and cabin ambience of ANA's 787? Their staggered business class looks like a great product but, in the pictures at least, it looks like the design and material choices are a bit, well, industrial. (The same applies to their new First Class 'Square'.) Quite surprising, given the usual Japanese design sensibility and how exquisite their materials etc often are. What were your impressions?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv_flying
I was playing some jazz music while reading your report, thoroughly enjoyed !
To quote Jazz Club (The Fast Show).... Niiiiceee!.

Glad you enjoyed luv_flying!

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report, thanks. I'm stunned at the massive pile of luggage you travelled with for such as short trip - and I noticed you made a few references to heavy rucksacks so presumably you were feeling it too. Why so much stuff? I thought that I was an overpacker, but I'd take half that.
I made the mistake of buying things on route. Admittedly, the 65ltr isn't the biggerst rucksack I had. If I had took the 100ltr, I doubt I would have had to activate the Antler bag on route. Amazingly, the only things I didn't use in the end were a polo shirt... and a pair of shoes I took with me (I was hoping to catch a friend in Tokyo, but alas didn't, so the shoes were moot... and extra heavy cargo). If you compare with the first photo to the last, I'm a serial horder of stuff.

That and I don't do washing of clothes downroute

One year, I'll switch to a suitcase. For now ....

Originally Posted by mad_atta
What did you think of the overall design and cabin ambience of ANA's 787? Their staggered business class looks like a great product but, in the pictures at least, it looks like the design and material choices are a bit, well, industrial. (The same applies to their new First Class 'Square'.) Quite surprising, given the usual Japanese design sensibility and how exquisite their materials etc often are. What were your impressions?
It felt very quiet inside the 787 - not least because the 2nd business cabin was 1/2 empty. Whilst functional, it was industrial, but avoiding bling. There are a lot of plastics and metals (and Blue LEDs), but it felt like it belonged on that plane. Whilst the 777-300 had a lot of wood/fake wood in it in the C seats, the 787 is more industrial.

It'll be interesting to see what JAL do with their 787 birds up the front...

Thanks mad_atta
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kevin my boy...what's going on here?

Premium cabin travel and nights spent in a Intercontinental hotel....are you getting soft?

Great trip report....your best ever I would say. A super read of events on the ground as well as in the air. I've never been to Tokyo or Seoul but have put both on my list of places to see.

So........you've had your fun you can now get back to Y.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Premium cabin travel and nights spent in a Intercontinental hotel....are you getting soft?
My thoughts exactly. I used to be sure of being able to travel vicariously in Y with Kevincm and now this!

Great report Kevincm, I am liking the new improved Ghetto IFE.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

When no one knows what is happening with your miles and ICHG decide to devaluate the award charts completely, it's time to cash in and enjoy the hard fought earnings

I chose to do it whilst I could... before the oncoming mess that will either be Avios or a loss (and the less said about the devaluation of the ICHG programme with properties bumping up their redemption prices the better)

Great trip report....your best ever I would say. A super read of events on the ground as well as in the air. I've never been to Tokyo or Seoul but have put both on my list of places to see.
I went through Seoul a couple of years ago when I lived it up in F. But both places are worth more than a second look to visit and to experience the different sorts of madness's that there are (from Tokyo's constantly crammed Yamanote line through to the odd scooter cutting you up on the street in Seoul)
[/quote]

Thanks HIDDY

Originally Posted by Moomba
Great report Kevincm, I am liking the new improved Ghetto IFE.
Thanks Moomba. I can write other things occasionally. The improved GhettoIFE is down to an improved interface where I can plug the computer/iPhone into their systems

And for once to travel vicariously with me in C Moomba

So........you've had your fun you can now get back to Y.
Originally Posted by Moomba
My thoughts exactly. I used to be sure of being able to travel vicariously in Y with Kevincm and now this!
Now, now... Calm down. I haven't gone soft on you all. Whilst accommodations may change, my Y class mentality hasn't. Just give me a chance to get into the air in the constant wonder that is United Economy.....

The constant wonder being why I book UA Y in the first place
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Excellent trip report as always.

Given your need for wifi, I'd suggest a Apple Airport Express as an essential travel gadget.

Turns that wired connection into a personal Wifi Hot Spot. It's self powered so it takes up little room in your travel bag. Given how much I travel and how few hotels I've found with Wifi, this has become an essential. It's also worth noting that I've found wired internet at the hotels to be faster than their wifi (i stayed a hilton recently with both and the wired was a lot faster).

Well worth the $100.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Excellent trip report as always.

Given your need for wifi, I'd suggest a Apple Airport Express as an essential travel gadget.

Turns that wired connection into a personal Wifi Hot Spot. It's self powered so it takes up little room in your travel bag. Given how much I travel and how few hotels I've found with Wifi, this has become an essential. It's also worth noting that I've found wired internet at the hotels to be faster than their wifi (i stayed a hilton recently with both and the wired was a lot faster).

Well worth the $100.
Thanks fieldeng. I've been considering an Airport Express recently when travelling, and for some purposes it's good idea. It would require me to carry a short Cat5e cable with me though if the hotel forget to supplies a cable (that's what happened in the Ramada Seoul sadly).

I'll put it on the shopping list when I go near an Apple Store next. At least the plug set is the same as the Apple adapters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.