Wiki Posts
Search

2011 1K Wrap Up - 8 Flights, 4 Airlines, 7 Countries, and 11K Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
2011 1K Wrap Up - 8 Flights, 4 Airlines, 7 Countries, and 11K Miles

It's that time of year again - requalify for 1K status or drop to Platinum. I technically requalified in November but some miles haven't posted yet and it looks like it'll be a fight to get them. This trip is insurance (and fun!).

Now before we get too far I should probably tell you where I'm going:

The original plan was France/Spain/Andorra but some schedule changes forced me to rethink the itinerary. The new trip includes France, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and Belgium plus short stops in Canada and of course the United States. This will be my first visit to Slovakia making it my 41st country.

Here's the flight list:

AC IAH-YUL
AC YUL-CDG
LH CDG-TXL
OS TXL-VIE
SN VIE-BRU
AC BRU-YUL
AC YUL-YYZ
AC YYZ-IAH
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Like most trips this one started waaaaaaaay too early. After dropping my car at my mom's house I bribed convinced her to drive me to the airport and we arrived in plenty of time for the flight. Air Canada uses Terminal A and this would be my first flight on their regional jets.

Security wanted to play the "say your name" game and then tried to get me into the NoS so I opted out. After waiting at least 5 minutes for a male assist I asked for a supervisor who didn't seem to care so I asked for a complaint form. Total time at security: 23 minutes. Not a good start!

The flight was scheduled to leave at 11:20 AM and catering was buy-on-board so I opted for a similarly priced but much tastier option - Fuddrucker's. I think I paid $10 for a burger and drink versus $9 for a sandwich on the plane.

Air Canada Flight AC7998 Houston, TX to Montreal, Canada
Equipment: CRJ-705
Departure: 11:20 AM
Arrival: 3:45 PM

Seats on this flight were in a 1-2 configuration in the front and a 2-2 configuration in the back. I had an entire row to myself. The bins were small but larger than those on the EMB-145. Surprisingly Air Canada has AVOD and power on their regional jets - impressive!

The flight seemed to go by very quickly and we arrived in Montreal a couple of hours later.

Flight Map

Approaching YUL - the windows were filthy

Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

This was my first time connecting through Canada without leaving the airport so the procedure was new to me. I had to complete the customs form and had a short chat with a very friendly agent who took my form and stamped my passport and boarding pass. This only took a few minutes and I was off to the Maple Leaf Lounge in no time!

I used the lounge near Gate 52 and it was very crowded so I didn't take any photos. It looks out over the Air Canada and Air France gates so I got to see the AF A380 arrive. The lounge had a good selection of drinks but a mediocre selection of food. My biggest complaint is the shower room - they have one shower for the entire lounge. The flights to London, Paris, and Frankfurt leave close to one another so this created a very long wait.

Air Canada Flight AC870 Montreal, Canada to Paris, France
Equipment: Boeing 777-300ER
Departure: 7:50 PM
Arrival: 8:45 AM (+1)

AC's 77Ws are in a 3-3-3 configuration and once again I was lucky enough to have an entire row (bulkhead!) to myself. Flying time was under 6 hours so I skipped dinner and fell asleep almost immediately. The choices were pasta or chicken.

Breakfast (muffin) was served just before arrival in CDG and we landed 20 minutes early. The gate wasn't ready so we had to wait an extra 10 minutes.

I was one of the first people off the plane so I didn't have to wait at passport control. The agent barely glanced at my passport before stamping it and waving me through.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Radisson Blu Ambassador Hotel

Club Carlson is offering a promo where one can earn 50K points for staying at any Radisson. Those points were useful here!

Of course I like to diversify so I also spent some points at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe.

Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:26 pm

Ooh another BryanIAH TR, bring on the rest!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Paris

Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Beautiful night shots of Paris! May I ask where you shot those from (esp the ones looking down at the city)?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Beautiful night shots of Paris! May I ask where you shot those from (esp the ones looking down at the city)?
Thank you! The photos looking down at the city were shot from the Eiffel Tower. It was really windy that night so the tower was moving even though the camera was perfectly still.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:03 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Thank you! The photos looking down at the city were shot from the Eiffel Tower. It was really windy that night so the tower was moving even though the camera was perfectly still.
I am told that the top moves two feet either side in a strong wind. It has been designed to do that. If it were totally rigid, it would just snap.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
I am told that the top moves two feet either side in a strong wind. It has been designed to do that. If it were totally rigid, it would just snap.
That's what the tower employees were saying - nothing to worry about! Of course that didn't keep a group of tourists from freaking out.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

After spending a few amazing days in Paris it was time to return to the airport. Most people think the airport's code "CDG" stands for Charles de Gaulle, but it actually represents the 3 most commonly used curse words used by passengers flying through the airport.

I took the RER to the Terminal 1 station then transferred to the airport tram which actually took me to Terminal 1. Then I shoved my way through endless mobs of people standing in the middle of the hall and made my way to the Lufthansa counter. About 20 kiosks were available (in typical LH fashion) so I was able to grab my boarding pass immediately. One of my bags would have to be checked after doing some Christmas shopping in Paris but the *G counter didn't have a line.

Security was easy (shoes on, no NoS, no grope) and I found Lufthansa's Senator Lounge a few minutes later. It is in a basement with no windows but other than that the lounge was pretty decent. The lounge had free internet too and I got a laugh out of the login screen - "Lufthansa makes you a gift" sounds like something Peggy from the Discover commercials would say.

Lufthansa Flight LH3241 Paris, France to Berlin, Germany
Equipment: Boeing 737-300
Departure: 9:25 AM
Arrival: 11:00 AM

Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Excellent trip so far. Love the Paris shots!

I did 15 flights in the last two weeks and accumulated 25K BIS, and I am beat...still have more to do by year-end.

It is so refreshing to see an year-end MR trip with interesting locations and also did it in a relax manner (instead of mad rush of insane MR trips in a few days). Also, nice to read from my perspective of having to do a ton of work trips before the holidays (stress! stress! stress!).

My state of mind really appreciate this TR!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Excellent trip so far. Love the Paris shots!

I did 15 flights in the last two weeks and accumulated 25K BIS, and I am beat...still have more to do by year-end.

It is so refreshing to see an year-end MR trip with interesting locations and also did it in a relax manner (instead of mad rush of insane MR trips in a few days). Also, nice to read from my perspective of having to do a ton of work trips before the holidays (stress! stress! stress!).

My state of mind really appreciate this TR!
Thank you! I had to choose between this itinerary or two IAH-SEA trips and the choice was pretty easy.

Good luck with your business trips and please bring your camera!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Berlin's public transport system is easy to use even with my limited German skills. A day ticket is priced just over 6 Euros for zones A and B, which covers most of the city and the bus lines to TXL. This will probably be my last visit to TXL before the new airport opens in a few months. Can't say I'll miss it!

My main motivation for including Berlin was the Christmas markets. I had time to visit 4 locations - one near Alexanderplatz, a second market a few blocks away, a third market near Zoologischer Garten, and finally the market near Potsdamer Platz.

Market #1 - Near Alexanderplatz

Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:57 pm

Wonderful TR !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.