Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by Weean
At the risk of excommunication from the UA forums, I really hate Rhapsody in Blue. What were they thinking? I'd much sooner they kept the Tulip and retained the anodyne but inoffensive music that Continental used to use. I'm sure it would have cost less due to rights as well.
Uh oh. I'm seeing a rampaging hoard from the Olde UA Forum steaming through to your inbox Weean... you're on your own

I believe Rhapsody was purchased many moons ago (1976) from the Gershwin estate. So they have an actual licence for it for prosperity - or whenever it goes out of copyright (2020). You'll have to put up with the bad variation that United use for some time .

But a Blue and Gold Tulip would had been nice. Shame there's only a Globe left in it's place...

Yeah, the 757 CO AVOD always had less content than the 777. See, you like to paint yourself as the ultimate low-rent Trip Reporter, but I see that you're struggling to live without the widebody amenities
Darn straight. For starters there's a bit more room in a widebody The last time I did a Narrow body across the pond was with US Airways. And you can guess how many amenities that thing had aboard (in the dark days when US charged for any drink)

Good to see another report Kevin, you must be knackered with all this (Y) flying! Take the rest of the year off...
Will do Am planning to until February. Because lets put it like this - I won't be down the back in the 787

Thanks Weean.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More agonY so soon after the last trip? Yep you're definitely a nutter Kev.

Actually, apart from the gruelling time schedule I think you quite enjoyed this trip? The quality of the products in the air as well as the accommodation seems to have exceeded what you paid for them. ^

Looking forward to reading the biggie next year.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Superb photos and delightful commentary as usual. ^

It was good to bump into you midway through the TR. I hope our travel paths cross in future.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
More agonY so soon after the last trip? Yep you're definitely a nutter Kev.
Heh. Gotta cram in those last miles before the end of the year... and whatever next comes. Least of all I'm sure I'll enjoy Flying Club Gold

Actually, apart from the gruelling time schedule I think you quite enjoyed this trip? The quality of the products in the air as well as the accommodation seems to have exceeded what you paid for them. ^
I've got to admit, there was a big "Value for money" thing on this trip - both in terms of flights and accommodation. A couple of nice surprises on the way (The Hyatt Summerfield Suites stands out) and the CO Operated flights with Newark crews really shone (and I finally learn the lesson of avoiding the IAH crews).

Looking forward to reading the biggie next year.
So am I... once I've sorted out the minor matter of hotels....

Thanks HIDDY
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Superb photos and delightful commentary as usual. ^

It was good to bump into you midway through the TR. I hope our travel paths cross in future.
It was great to see I'm not the only person in the air who had miles on the brain that day Circumknowitall! Was great meeting you and I hope to see you in the air again.

Thanks Circumknowitall.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Awesome trip report, Kev! If I had known that was available for £280 I might have joined you seeing as I followed in your SEN footsteps a week after your last MR!

I was quite surprised by how much the 757 bounces around. Not sure if it was the weather or the smaller plane? Or maybe it flies at different altitudes? The AC333 I took westbound didn't bounce once.

Wholeheartedly agree with you and HIDDY. 757 in agonY redeye is unbearable.. but the 100% earning is handy. I am looking at another trip to Houston in Feb and think I will go via Canada instead. Cheaper and more comfy. That'll have be a shiny silver card
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Awesome trip report, Kev! If I had known that was available for £280 I might have joined you seeing as I followed in your SEN footsteps a week after your last MR!
Thanks OttoMH! I've learned from a couple when you see a mileage run, and it works on the dates you want just to take it (Put it like this - December was going to be a SU trip to Japan for £364 until I ummed too long and missed the fare). Still, for the value in miles and another city visited, it was excellent value

I was quite surprised by how much the 757 bounces around. Not sure if it was the weather or the smaller plane? Or maybe it flies at different altitudes? The AC333 I took westbound didn't bounce once.
I think a combination of factors. For my trips, it seemed the plane was being buffeted from both front and back depending on the direction I was going by the jetstreams.

Wholeheartedly agree with you and HIDDY. 757 in agonY redeye is unbearable.. but the 100% earning is handy. I am looking at another trip to Houston in Feb and think I will go via Canada instead. Cheaper and more comfy. That'll have be a shiny silver card
To be honest, it wasn't that bad on the red-eye as I had a spare seat next to me. Going out from DUB was a major squeeze with a full 757. Not pleasant when you've got a elbow pusher... and them trying to steal under-seat legroom too....

However, I'm sold on the pre-clearance in Dublin. The 100% miles... was a very nice and welcome bonus. Almost enough in my account for another redemption too....

Canada is a great option... provided you don't have to enter the country

Good luck on your trip OttoMH and good luck hitting Silver! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.