Wiki Posts
Search

BA F is the new Standard - Short report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here I thought this was to be a trip report, not a running commentary on the rights and wrongs of income opportunities/wealth distribution/expenditure dynamics of the world at large or even any substantial part of it.

Perhaps I'd play a different tune about such matters if there was clear indication of unlawful activity being considered part of the picture with assignment for a particular wrongdoing being assignable to an individual; however, that's not been a painted part of this picture, so I just don't have any interest in making a fuss over a lifestyle choice with which the law makes no stink.

I, for example, would just as well spend a few thousand dollars on air travel experience to enjoy an afternoon with a terminally ill relative or friends and use public transport regularly to/from the airport and other places than spend the same money putting gas in a gas-guzzler of an automobile. A lifestyle choice, with no individually-assignable criminal activity being part of the picture, makes it fine to have different strokes for different folks. That's not "different strikes for different folks".

... I'm curious if the OP and associates wasted money on the trip by failing to find the truly best deal for the hotel and flights using all the knowledge potential that is to be had on FT. Far more useful to me anyway.

I need not entertain too much curiosity about how Swedish women say, "when the cats away, the mice come out to play".

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 3, 2011 at 7:06 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolf539
Some of the comments in this thread remind of saying a friend of mine loves to use when discussing jealousy:

My neighbor has a cow. I don't have a cow. I hope my neighbor's cow dies!
Are you familiar with Scandinavian/Nordic countries? Janteloven/jantelagen/janten laki in action. Exhibited regardless of income/wealth levels.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nine guys go on a trip and have fun for their friends birthday. Its fair to say that all of the business world has been tough over the past couple of years. Everyone needs to work hard to be able to manage to go on these trips. I for one now understand that you need to play hard as well as work hard. Otherwise it catches up with you and creates even more problems. I am glad they had fun and enjoyed themselves. We really should be saying thankyou to Petrus for putting up a great Trip report more than anything else.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you familiar with Scandinavian/Nordic countries? Janteloven/jantelagen/janten laki in action. Exhibited regardless of income/wealth levels.
I am now!

And thanks; this is why I love FT!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolf539
I am now!

And thanks; this is why I love FT!
And I thank you. I now have a fine example with: "My neighbor has a cow. I don't have a cow. I hope my neighbor's cow dies!".

See, this trip report has been especially useful in more than one way. Nothing to say of jam and cream with cats being away and the mice coming out to play.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by origin
Nine guys go on a trip and have fun for their friends birthday. Its fair to say that all of the business world has been tough over the past couple of years. Everyone needs to work hard to be able to manage to go on these trips. I for one now understand that you need to play hard as well as work hard. Otherwise it catches up with you and creates even more problems. I am glad they had fun and enjoyed themselves. We really should be saying thankyou to Petrus for putting up a great Trip report more than anything else.
I agree 100%! Why all the jealousy?! Trip reports are about aspirations for the readers in many cases....instead of being jealous, we should be thinking of how to make enough money to enjoy similar trips! If I pointed out how much the Hermes belt one of the chaps is wearing costs you'd all be even more upset!!

Finally, how do any of you that judge know how much or little these guys do for good causes? You don't, so don't judge!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I thought I had moved this thread from the BA Forum?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Petrus, I read this again (actually I was forced to when this report made the nominations for Best TR) and some fool thought I might be a suitable addition to the judging panel.

You are lucky. I am reading this sober. But I think its a cracker of a report. It personifies mateship. Also, any report that can get Hiddy to cuss is well worth it.

More importantly, the conversation which the report generated on the board was highly entertaining...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Fantastic TR, wonder what everyone else in GF thought of you guys sprawled arcoss the soffa happily drinking away, the table looked well trashed with all the bottles, glasses and plates etc!! NF looked good, but although never done it, there really is no space to be able to sit and eat if you are travelling as a couple, the space would be extremely difficult and the person sitting in the buddy seat would almost become a hunchback. Apart from that all the menu looked really good, apart from the decimated scone. Loved the comment 5 minutes instead of 30 to get to down town, what a way to finish off the flight by having that experience.^
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks EB and BA5E.
We weren't that bad in the First lounge actually. Since we sat on the "outside" terrace few people would have cared had we been too loud. I think if anything, they might have been jealous that a big bunch of mates are having a blast of a time. Gosh, has it been six months already!?

I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Just need to convince the better half... and explain the express train of cash leaving our accounts
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:58 am
Original Poster

10 years later…

Cannot believe it has been 10 years since one of the most enjoyable trips I had the blessing to be part of.

- no one cheated during the trip from what I gather
- 7 are married, of which 6 have children
- all in good health doing well
- no one is wearing their watches daily since probably 5 years due to culture shifts and social media. Fine timepieces have become trash symbols
- it’s time for a reunion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.