Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F is the new Standard - Short report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, AMEX BA PP
Originally Posted by Petrus
Aaaaaargghh!!! Why is it that everytime an IB flight arrives, immigration is hell? I know why, because they do not master the language of English and half of them seem to have messed up ESTA.
¿Cuántos idiomas hablas?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Great stuff ^ Bought back some very good memories of my first NF last month - I thought it was a step up and really liked it. I know that the buddy seat isn't much cop, but overall I thought it was better than OF. The fact that they upped the wine standard helped too
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Petrus you old dog...what a great way to spend a weekend. I'm envious at how many friends you have. If I wanted to do something like that, I'd have to rent them...

And what on earth is going on in that new BA F cabin?? Not nearly enough bling if you ask me...come, we give you some of ours
Accepted! When do we empty the mini-bars at IC Boston again?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Now that's what I call larging it.

I stayed at The Standard just after it opened. I liked it but for some reason my room reminded me of a camper van. I think it was all the moulded wood.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I AM Cornish. A product of Treliske Hospital.
Me Too!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Fabulous report!! So good to see foie gras in First.

I'll let you into a little secret. No meat has passed my lips since summer 1995, except for a small sampling of foie gras I had in St Malo a couple of years ago. Every one at the table raved on and on about how heavenly it was. I have never tasted anything so divine in my entire life. This followed sharply by foaming of the mouth, not entirely dissimilar to the jammy/clot whip you fashioned up on board
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by stueys
Nice trip report, glad someone else likes New F, starting to feel we're a minority on here!

Looks like a great trip.
No I like NF too, very comfortable.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
No meat has passed my lips since summer 1995
No point in inviting you to one of my asado feasts then.

WARNING....those of a vegetarian disposition should not click on the link.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Hiddy, are you in BA between December 25th and 30th? If so I'd be happy to drop by one of your feasts.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Petrus
Hiddy, are you in BA between December 25th and 30th? If so I'd be happy to drop by one of your feasts.
Oh dear......you'd better lower your expectations Petrus I slightly exaggerated it with that picture. Mine are more like this actually.

I'll be in touch.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:21 am
Original Poster

That's perfect. All I ask for is some Argentinian meat, a beer and the company of yourself and ciqui (the dog).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Now that's what I call larging it.

I stayed at The Standard just after it opened. I liked it but for some reason my room reminded me of a camper van. I think it was all the moulded wood.
I stayed there once, two years ago. It's ok, but it's whimsical rather than classy - trying to scream "design" at you, rather than actually being well-designed. For a hotel in the bracket it's aiming for and priced at, the rooms are small and not especially comfortable. Transparent walls to the bathroom are just smart-... irritating. I have seen no reason to return and can see little reason to favour it of the much nicer Gansevoort just a long block away.

There also seems to be quite a fashion for new contemporary-style New York hotels in that price range ($500-ish) to up their room sizes - think of the London NYC and the Gansevoort Park. Pity the Standard seemed to have opened just before that trend started.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oh dear......you'd better lower your expectations Petrus I slightly exaggerated it with that picture.
Huh, I have seen a HIDDY BBQ and I still have recurrent nightmares over the image of what he was roasting. The beast was huge and still had its head attached. I am surprised he hasn't gone for the shock factor and posted it again.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by PeteTheBrit
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Aaaaaargghh!!! Why is it that everytime an IB flight arrives, immigration is hell? I know why, because they do not master the language of English and half of them seem to have messed up ESTA.

¿Cuántos idiomas hablas?
I agree, the comment seems a bit racist. ESTA info is in many languages and almost all federal documents (and NYS documents) are in Spanish. Many CBP officers are bilingual. IB and BA share an immigration hall at JFK, so you will meet IB if you land just after them. JFK has many immigration halls, not just one like T5.

That is one of the reasons I take BA flights that lands just before IB flights, it has nothing to do with all people from a specific nationality being stupid. I have also been on IB flights that land after a BA 747 and have had to wait 1 hr+.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by asouli
I agree, the comment seems a bit racist.
Is being Spanish or living in Spain considered a racial trait nowadays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.