Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Airlines First Suite, ORD>NRT [pics]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC-P, OW Emerald, IHG Diamond
Japan Airlines First Suite, ORD>NRT [pics]

The trip was started from STL using AA miles for reward ticket, US to Asia 2 (67.5K miles). I started to call AA-PLT desk in early Sept., but had no luck. Firstly, I could hold a seat with CX in F but I really want to try JL. I kept calling AA daily to see any F suite open up on JL from the gateway cities. About 2 wks before 3 OCT, I got lucky. The trick was asking AA Angel to check F suite availability from gateway cities to NRT first, then add STL and TPE into the itinerary.

Photos were taken by Panasonic ZS8

Check-in at STL ap was smooth. The agent could get me seat 1A on JL9.

Date: 3 OCT 2011
Flight: AA1637
Aircraft: S80
Seat: 3E

Flight was delayed 45 mins due to mechanical issues. I was afraid that I could miss JL9 and be transferred on later AA metal for ORD>NRT. Similar photo was posted online somewhere and got a sort of joke from my friend "this is F seat or just your short leg". oh well, any AA regulars knows the best legroom in S80 is right front

JL staff greeted me at AA AC near gate K6, took away the boarding pass I got from STL and told me that it is better to have REAL JAL (Japanese call it Gia-Lu) boarding pass. Anyway, the purpose for visiting AC was for shower.

Date: 3 OCT 2011
Flight: JL9
Aircraft: 777
Seat: 1A

The photo in below is to show the legroom and my "short legs" that I could NOT reach the wall!!!

No pre-departure drink was offered but I got a bt of mineral water b/c FA saw me sweating. She apologized about the weak A/C due to energy save policy.... Menu, PJ were distributed before taxi.

3 pax in F with 3 FAs ^^^ good news ^^^

Inspired by elsie's TR, I am going to have 3kg food challenge Up In The Air

Firstly, I asked the Senior FA (Cabin Manager) to give me both bubbles to compare
Salon 1999 vs. Joseph Perrier Cuvee Josephine 2002

Salon 1999 was my pick. The retail price for a bt of Salon 1999 is $250 ish. WOW!!!

this is the starting point of my 3 kgs challenge Up In The Air. I could mix with JP (J) and Western (W) menu

From left to right: new potato, blintz, sour cream based sauce, caviar, lemon, green onion, shallot, yolk and egg white

(J) Zatsuki: Simmered Shrimp, Scallop & Mushroom in Soy Sauce

Last edited by jacob1989; Oct 13, 2011 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

(W) Amuse Bouche: Lobster Medallion with Tomato Consomme, Celery Boat with Blue Cheese Cream, Prosciutto Grissini with Mushroom Medley

More Salon 1999 please~~

Japanese Appetizer, came with this beautiful two layers box

Mukouzuke: seared Fillet of Salmon and Squid "Sashimi" Style
Tsubo: Braised sweet pepper and Whitebait
Shiizakana​: Rolled "Matsutake​" Mushroom with Beef/Fluke in Japanese Jelly Baked Chestnut
Kobachi: Deep-simme​red Pumpkin with Minced Meat Sauce,
Vinegared Crabmeat, Braised Eggplant with Sesame Cream Sauce

I ate too fast... did not take the photo of (W) Salad & Salmon Cake with Tartare Sauce.
Vino Blanco: Chuo Budoshu Cuvee Misawa Koshu Private Reserve 2009 (my pick!!) Puligny-Mo​ntrachet 1er Cru Les Referts 2008 (didnt like the taste, too much barrel to me)

Riedel glass was used in JL F

(W) Main Dish: Grilled Fillet of US Prime Beef, Forestiere​. Fillet is not my cut but this one was cooked into my order as rare. I asked salt instead of sauce on. Guess what was the best? Those veges and potatooooo​!! The Chief FA saw my disappointed face and apologized to me that they should use Wagyu not US cheap cut.... oh well, I DO love and enjoy US dry aged ribeye or NY strip very much.

What?? rice not bread to go with Steak?? come to Japan and you will know that is not strange at all here. The Koshihikar​i rice was freshly steamed just like you have it at restaurant. yummy~~

Vino Rosso: Château Léoville Poyferré 2007 (L and my pick!!) and Bouchard Père & Fils Chambolle-​Musigny 2007. I think if JL provided Riedel Burgundy glass, I probably would enjoy the later one more than Léoville Poyferré 2007.
Wine Glass Does Matter!!

Assorted Cheese Round ONE with Grahams Tawny Port 30 year ^

Last edited by jacob1989; Oct 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster

The Chief FA, Shiozaki-san, made some fine adjustments to the dishes she could which made me feel having a Private Chef Up In The Air ^^^ More Port.... more…

I didn't sleep very well, just 5 hrs ish. Guess what woke me up?? keep reading on and you will find the answer

Since I could not sleep, a junior FA asked me if I want anything to eat... mumm... maybe Chief FA told her that the guy in 1A has a BIG stomach just like Yōjigen-Pocket (please click the link)

Mid-Flight Snack. Japanese Delicacies
Steamed Angler-fis​h Liver in Sweet Vinegar Dressing
Salt-Cured Squid
Mixed Jellyfish with Sea Urchin Sauce

Start drinking Sake ^^

A La Carte: Yakitori

Japanese tray:
Natto - Fermented Soybeans
Grilled Salmon "Saikyo Miso" Flavor
Egg Cake / Simmered Kelp
Steamed Rice
Miso Soup
Japanese Pickles

Natto

Isojiman was my pick, tasted much better in wine glass. Again, Glass Does Matter ^^

Last edited by jacob1989; Oct 13, 2011 at 9:05 am
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:00 am
Original Poster

sleep again... was hoping that I could sleep until 30 mins before landing

here is the time frame: 3.5 hrs ish, incl. take off, meal mix with Japanese and Western menu, sleep 5 hrs ish, 1 hr mid flight meal, I really want to sleep until 30 mins before landing. BUT...JAL's Specially Selected Curry woke me up AGAIN

It was that woke me up after I had 5 hrs ish sleep. The aromatic or very disturbing smell just kicked me out from a sweet dream Up In The Air. So, I decided to take one as well and woke up the guy behind me Indeed, JAL's Specially Selected Curry rice was excellent!!

times up!!

Smoking area at NRT JL First Lounge

NRT>TPE was in J due to 767 has only 2 classes. It was not exciting at all and I did not take any photo. Just after 13 hrs First Suite fun, I really felt nothing from J.

Overall Pro:
1. very nice and professional FAs
2. the BED indeed is very comfortable
3. Good selections of drinks and food menu,
4. warm cabin (I know many folks do not like this)

Overall Con:
1. the Curry Rice is really aromatic and could disturb others, at least to me
2. lavatory is a bit too small, not necessary as large as LH but a bigger lavatory is welcomed

potential con
FAs turned a very happy face once they learned that I do speak some Japanese. I guess speaking certain level of Japanese was one of the reasons that I had no issue in communication with FAs

Conclusion: I could get STL>ORD>NRT>CGK with TWO JL First Suite fun (ORD>NRT, NRT>CGK) and cost the same 67.5K AA miles. But I changed to TPE due to other reasons. I do speak some Japanese and I think that made me have no trouble to communicate with FAs. Overall it was a fun and relax flight, apart from the Curry Rice woke me up Twice. Also, only 3 pax in F was one of the reasons that I could enjoy so much food. I had 20 drinks (6 Salon 1999, 3 white wine, 3 red wine, 4 port and 4 Sake). The trick was drink and eat. No "Hangover 3, Gia-Lu in the Air" was made. I do appreciate the lovely FAs, Shiozaki (Chief), Kodama, and Tajima, on this JL9 who provided professional services with personal touch.

It will be a difficult decision to me on the way back to STL, try CX F or go JL F again. I haven't been to CX F. So folks, please give me your suggestions

Last edited by jacob1989; Oct 13, 2011 at 7:45 pm
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: CX DM
my mouth is watering already ! can't wait for the rest !!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:18 am

I would return CX F if you have done that before - will allow you to compare the 2 products.

Great TR for JL - you don't see many JL reports online
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Love the pics...especially of the glasses.

I clicked the link...who is Yōjigen-Pocket? Is it Doraemon the cat?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Euan
I would return CX F if you have done that before - will allow you to compare the 2 products.

Thanks for the suggestion. F on JL or CX should be the best way to burn AA miles. Indeed, many TR on CX but JL

Originally Posted by Nanook
Love the pics...especially of the glasses.

I clicked the link...who is Yōjigen-Pocket? Is it Doraemon the cat?
Doraemon is the "cat", a earless robotic cat. The pocket is on Doraemon, from there he pulls out stuffs

From the wiki page
"Doraemon has a pocket from which he produces many gadgets, medicines, and tools from the future. The pocket is called yōjigen-pocket (lit. fourth-dimensional pocket)."

Last edited by jacob1989; Oct 13, 2011 at 11:11 am
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jacob1989
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why not many JL reports. F on JL or CX should be the best way to burn AA miles.
Don't forget QF F! :P Great TR though!

Am I the only Korean that laughed at the Chief Purser's name since it's somewhat similar to the curse word :P
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 am
Community Director Emerita

What wonderful photograph. I enjoyed learning more about JL's first offering, which I have yet to fly.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Don't forget QF F! :P Great TR though!

Am I the only Korean that laughed at the Chief Purser's name since it's somewhat similar to the curse word :P
I think there are many cases that nothing wrong in one language but something in another. Maybe her name's pronunciation is similar to the curse world in Korean but there is nothing wrong to have that name. If you meet her on JL flight, why not you tell her that....

Shio= salt
Zaki= cape
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Euan
There are lots of JL F trip reports...just not in English
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:52 pm

The food looked amazing, perhaps partly because of the excellent photos!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Wow! You really did get your "money's worth"! GREAT TR! ^
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:14 pm

WOW ! Great trip report! It all looks so very familiar.
Good job at trying so many food options. You are a professional!

I just flew NH yesterday in F and will try to post soon. I really wanted to have direct ANA/GIA LU comparison.

I also originally had a CX tkt, but wanted to try the Japanese carriers back to back.

THX for a great post!^:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.