Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SVO-ULN (Ulaanbaatar) SU in J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
LHR-SVO-ULN (Ulaanbaatar) SU in J

There is not a huge number of options to fly London-Ulaanbaatar. I generally prefer to fly BA, so the ideal route was LHR-PEK-ULN, but the timings of the flights essentially require an overnight in PEK. I am only going for a week, so that is too much hassle, especially as I would have needed a Chinese visa. It was also quite expensive when I came to book. That really just leaves Skyteam options - SU via SVO or KE via ICN. SU J was available for the price of KE Y, so I went with that.

Check-in - Heathrow Terminal 4

Terminal 4 is an inconvenient terminal to get to by public transport, requiring a change or a wait for a direct train, but luckily this was an 11am departure, so plenty of time. My SU departure was checking in at zone F, which was next to the other Skyteam carriers. I was directed to a machine and was able to check in and select my seat without too much difficulty, though I as required to enter all of my passport details etc. on the touchscreen, which proved a little confusing at times. The queues for bag drop were very long:

[can't work out how to insert photos, so I will add those later]

At this point I enquired whether there was a separate premium bag drop, which there was, in zone H - nicely hidden around the corner. No need to have used the machine at all. The J check-in had no queues and the experience was very pleasant, though the area was a bit of a mess, with lots of rubbish lying around. [photo]

Security was very swift, if surly. Quick stop at duty free to use my AMEX GBP10 vouchers to buy whatever I could find for slightly over GBP10 and then on to the Skyteam lounge.

Skyteam lounge, LHR terminal 4

The lounge is split over two levels. The lower level was very crowded [photo], but the upstairs, with exactly the same layout and service was virtually empty [photo]. I settled in with a nice view of the apron (including my waiting SU A321) [photo] and enjoyed the hot breakfast offering [photo]. It was probably a little early in the morning for a Diet Coke, but the guy in front of me at the bar helped himself to a triple Vodka, so I figured "what the hell?".

A good selection of newspapers, though consistent with my experience of most airlines, only right-wing titles were available! [photo]

The lounge also had private rest rooms, showers etc.

On board LHR-SVO

On board the A321, Aeroflot's "premier class" offering looked very comfortable, and certainly better than BA's SH Y which is the alternative LON-MOW. [photo] The cabin was pretty empty (6/14), but that didn't stop someone switching seats to the one in front of me and fully reclining on take-off to the injury of my knees!

SU has two business class products - Premier on the SH and MH airbuses and President on the 767 and A330 LH services, which features fully-flat cocoon seats. I chose my itinerary so as to experience President on the return journey, but more of that later.

A glass of champagne was served as soon as I reached my seat (3A) [photo] and the lunch menu was distributed [photo] along with the detailed and extensive wine list [photo]. A further drink (more Diet Coke) and warm nuts followed with a heated towel.

A portable video player was also supplied, which nestled neatly in the seat pocket in front. A small selection of films and TV programmes was offered.

When lunch arrived, the starter was a cold chicken and beef salad, which was indifferent. [photo]

The main course was Murmansk halibut, which was also pretty tasteless and a bit cold, but not awful. Certainly as you would get on many airlines for a 3.5 hour flight.

The dessert was supposed to have been a strawberry panna cotta. It never arrived, but I didn't chase, as I had already had enough to eat.

Annoyingly, the seatbelt sign came on without warning 40 minutes before landing, preventing a bathroom trip. Note to self - go easy on the Diet Coke.

SVO - arrival and lounge

The taxi to Aeroflot's new terminal D was very short and the 6 J passengers were offloaded first on to a VIP minibus to be whisked to the terminal [photo]. A nice touch.

The new terminal was very clean and impressive. On arrival, it was a little difficult to find the international transfer desk, as the signs point you in the wrong direction, but once there there was very little wait [photo]. On to passport control for a quick check and then, somewhat strangely, though security again. Surely everyone has arrived on a plane with everything they are carrying and will have been through this before?

Terminal D has two lounges Jazz and Blues. I am writing this from Jazz, which is small, but comfortable and well laid out. [photo] A good selection of sandwiches and alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Only Russian language newspapers and magazines are provided, but there is a good number of internet terminals available and BBC World showing in one area. I couldn't see any showers.

SU563 is now boarding, so I will update on the next leg and add the photos soon.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mgiarc
On to passport control for a quick check and then, somewhat strangely, though security again. Surely everyone has arrived on a plane with everything they are carrying and will have been through this before?
Nice report... Keep writing!

I guess this is your first time to Russia... Sometimes (fortunately less and less) Soviet way of thinking is very much alive there... (not that I want to offend anyone, this is just a statement...)
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA | EK | EY | PK
Pictures would be nice!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:29 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Nice... we flew ULN-SVO on SU J (Tu204) about 6 years ago.. what are they flying on that route now?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:43 pm

On board the A321, Aeroflot's "premier class" offering looked very comfortable, and certainly better than BA's SH Y which is the alternative LON-MOW.
Bmi and Transaero also operate 4 daily flights between LHR and DME. bmi flights feature the mid haul product with cradle seats at 50 inch pitch and personal IFE.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
On to passport control for a quick check and then, somewhat strangely, though security again. Surely everyone has arrived on a plane with everything they are carrying and will have been through this before?
Originally Posted by TPJ
Nice report... Keep writing!

I guess this is your first time to Russia... Sometimes (fortunately less and less) Soviet way of thinking is very much alive there... (not that I want to offend anyone, this is just a statement...)
I don't think this is Soviet - this seems par for the course in all international airports these days. Arrive at LHR for a connecting flight and you're going through security. Arrive at BOS, EWR, IAD from Europe and you're going through passport control, customs and then security. It's not unique to Russia.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:39 am

Interesting reading. I'm looking forward to the rest.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Damn, not many recent SU TR's here, at least that I could find. I was looking forward to seeing what the President class has to offer. Apparently it's been changing for the better.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by Zoui21
Damn, not many recent SU TR's here, at least that I could find. I was looking forward to seeing what the President class has to offer. Apparently it's been changing for the better.
Hi, unfortunately I didn't get to travel President class in the end. My flight back from ULN-SVO had an equipment and timetable change, so not only was it premier class, but it arrived just in time for me to miss my connection to London and a nine-hour layover. Luckily I had enough notice that was going to happen that I could sort myself out a Russian transit visa in Ulaanbaatar - very simple overnight process. Shame that it rained non-stop in Moscow that day.

I realise now I never did add the photos to this trip report - I'll look into doing so.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.