Search

A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Auckland to Wellington (AKL-WLG) on Air New Zealand 737-300 economy space+

A fairly ordinary flight. Full, as the early morning flights often are even on weekends, thanks to the influx of connecting passengers off the North America flights.

Minimal service. Good legroom. 40 minutes of snooze time.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Apologies to all readers for the length of time to complete this report and poor quality. This is my worst trip report I think. If I had realised how bad this would get I wouldn't have started it.

I have another trip report in the wings, but I'll only start posting it if I'm confident over quality and timeliness.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:31 pm
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
What's the cricket cliche? "Form is temporary, class is permanent"?

I'm glad I read this report, and I'm very much looking forward to your next one.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Apologies to all readers...
Are you kidding me man. This has been an enjoyable read.

And as Im stuck doing the CHC-WLG-CHC commuter thing the last couple of months Ive really enjoyed going further afield through your report.

Looking forward to the next one too.

^
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there an arrivals lounge of any sort in SFO for pax off of the NZ AKL-SFO flight? I will be connecting to FC on US Airways, but have a feeling I will be forced into my connecting terminal, and there is no Star Alliance lounge.

I have a SkyClub card with Delta so I can access the lounge in T1 from there, but would much rather use an international lounge. Will SQ let me in these days at SFO? CO also has a landside lounge, but I need to find one with showers. I dont want to use those nasty paid showers at SFO.

One more question, is there a snack bar inflight on NZ where drinks/wine/snacks are laid out for people to help themselves to or do you have to ask a crewmember for everything?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

NZ has no arrivals lounges anywhere.

SQ lounge at SFO no longer has showers. The only lounges I'm aware of with showers are UA IFL (which you will not have access to), BA and I've been told AA has recently had showers added.

Air NZ 747 and 77W have a snackbar. 772 does not. But in any case crew are happy to help with drinks or snacks at any time.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NZ has no arrivals lounges anywhere.

SQ lounge at SFO no longer has showers. The only lounges I'm aware of with showers are UA IFL (which you will not have access to), BA and I've been told AA has recently had showers added.

Air NZ 747 and 77W have a snackbar. 772 does not. But in any case crew are happy to help with drinks or snacks at any time.
Glad to know, thanks, since that is what is scheduled for AKL-SFO at the moment (747)...Ill just hop into the AS or DL lounge for a sponge bath since Star Alliance does not offer any effort of an arrivals lounge at their main hub at SFO.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:57 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Glad to know, thanks, since that is what is scheduled for AKL-SFO at the moment (747)...Ill just hop into the AS or DL lounge for a sponge bath since Star Alliance does not offer any effort of an arrivals lounge at their main hub at SFO.
UA also has an arrivals lounge, but you do not have access to it. It is not a *A lounge, like most every arrivals lounge in the world.

-Brian
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Belatedly looking at the conclusion of this trip report (thanks for posting ). I wonder whether NZ has got its act together more recently with the speed (or lack thereof) of its late night dinner service? 3.5hrs is a disgraceful effort.

Disappointingly slow meal service aside, what did you think of the quality of catering? And any thoughts on the comfort of the new, softer sleeping surface vs the old one?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Belatedly looking at the conclusion of this trip report (thanks for posting ). I wonder whether NZ has got its act together more recently with the speed (or lack thereof) of its late night dinner service? 3.5hrs is a disgraceful effort.

Disappointingly slow meal service aside, what did you think of the quality of catering? And any thoughts on the comfort of the new, softer sleeping surface vs the old one?
The late night NZ 77W flight I took last week had a 2.5 hour meal service, so better but still too long. I now think the trick is to either have dinner in the lounge (shame LAX food has gone so downhill), or to select a mains which takes longer to reheat as these seem to be done first and skip dessert & cheese.

I liked the quality of food though, and nice to get different items on the menu. The 744/772 flights out of AKL have a high degree of overlap in menu items with shorthaul!

As for the seat comfort, I don't notice. I can sleep on just about anything if I'm tired enough.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Good reports I enjoyed the read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.