Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip Report Ever: Returning from a Christmas stay in HK with CX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

First Trip Report Ever: Returning from a Christmas stay in HK with CX

First off, this is my first trip ever. Please bear with me if some components of my trip report are lagging. Cheers and enjoy

For those residing in the NYC area and that are regulars with CX, I am sure you know the incident regarding several CX and BA aircraft being stuck at the tarmac for hours and hours after being diverted from Toronto due to heavy snow and strong winds in New York and the Northeast of the US.

Cathay Pacific Airways CX 840
Hong Kong - Toronto - New York-JFK
Originally Scheduled as CX 840 Direct from Hong Kong - New York-JFK

At Gate 3 Getting ready to Pushback

A few minutes after takeoff from Hong Kong.

Legshot of CX's Economy Class. Not Bad.

Beautiful sunset over the mid portion of Canada.

A few minutes after touching down in Toronto.

My plane to JFK sitting at a remote stand at Toronto.

Touchdown at JFK.

Now the chaos begins. After touching down at JFK on runway 31L, we taxied to our Terminal 7. We were a few meters from the terminal when the captain advised the passangers that we were going to be on the taxiway for while due to some congestion at the terminal. So it was now a waiting game. After an hour of waiting, the captain said that we would be still be on the tarmac and is tired of giving excuses to the passengers. Honestly, I felt bad for him since he was just giving information to the passengers on what ATC was relaying to him. After 4-5 hours of waiting, we continued our taxi to the terminal.
After going through customs, we were told that we would have to wait for the bags to be offloaded since the door of the cargo hold was frozen and had to be de-iced. So after around 2-3 hours of waiting, we finally got our bags. Total waiting time - 6-8 hrs.

Pictures below will speak for themselves.

Despite all the chaos due to being stuck on the tarmac, the crew did a fabulous job keeping the passengers calm during the delay. The passengers that were affected (myself included) recieved free round trip tickets as compensation.

Takeoff and Landing Videos can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/maortega15

Once again, my apologies for the lack of info and pictures in this report. This is my first report ever and I will use other reports as a base for mine. Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome. Cheers
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Nice TR!
Congrats on the first TR!

Sorry you got stuck in the snowstorm. However, very nice of CX to give you all round trip tickets!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great report!
RT ticket for no fault of CX? ^ to CX.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I am aware that I am not getting many comments as this TR is not well detailed. Once again, this is my first ever TR and I am barely new at this. My apologies.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:58 pm

We have a similar trip scheduled for later this year although starting at JFK to HKG onto Chiang Mai via CX using BAEC. It's in Y too since it is for all 4 of us.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snshahmd
We have a similar trip scheduled for later this year although starting at JFK to HKG onto Chiang Mai via CX using BAEC. It's in Y too since it is for all 4 of us.
BAEC?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by maortega15
BAEC?
British Airways Executive Club
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What did you use to shoot your photos?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrxmom
What did you use to shoot your photos?
I used a Canon G9. Not sure if its a good camera.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buschoi
British Airways Executive Club
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.