Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific and Emirates First Class SFO-HKG-BKK including EK A380 First Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific and Emirates First Class SFO-HKG-BKK including EK A380 First Suites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Great report so far. The lobster looks delicious!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
The lobster does look delicious.... mmmmm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SFO777
The wine list which, other than the Krug, was pretty disappointing.
Really? What were you expecting? The Lynch Bages is a good $90 retail, the Mersault around $40-50 and the Pinot Noir around $60.

That's a rather good wine list for an International F flight.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm very much looking forward to your report on Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle. We've just stayed at Le Meridien Chiang Rai. While an order of magnitude different in price, it is a lovely property and gave us an introduction to northern Thailand.
I admit I did more than a double take on their not-so-shy nightly rates . But in the end decided that I wanted had to experience what CondeNast Traveler says is the only perfect 100 resort in the world.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Really? What were you expecting? The Lynch Bages is a good $90 retail, the Mersault around $40-50 and the Pinot Noir around $60. That's a rather good wine list for an International F flight.
And Sebastiani is a good $12 cab.
Seriously, if you think this is a good international F wine list, you must be spending too much time on BA.

Sorry but an Austrian wine as one of two whites in CX F? The Bouchard Meursault is served on UA... enough said. I'll accept that the Pinot is a good choice, but a $12 Sebastiani Cab has to be someone's idea of a joke. The Chateau Lynch Bages rates highly but I didn't really enjoy it... could have been that the FA popped and poured and had not opened it prior to my requesting it. Certainly went better with food.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 2, 2011 at 12:55 am
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:02 am

Thanks all for your kind comments.

I admit I did more than a double take on their not-so-shy nightly rates . But in the end decided that I wanted had to experience what CondeNast Traveler says is the only perfect 100 resort in the world.
Mr. Cynnamin and I were there last October, and we were planning our next trip back even before we left. I recognized Yonatan, the camp manager, but couldn't remember from where until we started talking during the cocktail hour. He was at FS Maldiives LG when we were there, and I kept getting him confused with Armando, the GM, for the first few days.

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report. Hope the elephants are doing well. The little baby must have gotten a tad bigger now. We may be going back next April on our way home from Botswana.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today's cheese course included Port Salud, Manchego, Stilton and Goat. The Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 year old Tawny port was excellent!!

I finished lunch with fresh fruit plate with sweet rose water.

And pralines.

After a couple of movies (Killers and Social Network) on Studio CX and two hours of sleep, we both decided to try the Wontons in noodle soup. Wow, that was sensational. Even better with more Krug!

More Studio CX and a break from the Krug...

10 1/2 painless hours inflight and we've reach Japan... less than 5 hours to go, although quite frankly I am in no hurry to leave.

The only decision now is what movies next and do I have Dinner before we land, or Wings or The Pier. OK, time to review my notes from Short Hair Francis and plan the HKG lounge visits, although Mrs. SFO has told me she only wants one lounge where she will stay while I "run around checking out other lounges".

After a painless 13 hours, would I like some dinner? Why not? While Mrs. SFO sleeps, I'm back at the trough.

Ricotta cheese agnolotti with roast pepper coulis, asparagus and vegetables julienne was fabulous. I tried the 2004 Chateau Lynch Bages Grand Cru Classe. Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't a wow... perhaps if it had been opened a while longer.

And to finish, the fabulous mango and white chocolate cake with vanilla sauce.

After 15+ hours of bliss, we touched down at HKG. What an incredible experience. Amazing service, wonderful food, a couple bottles of Krug and the most comfortable First Class cabin I've yet experienced. ^

Last edited by SFO777; May 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I find the best CX FA's always pour me a very slight tasting of the Lynch Bauges and ask that I allow some time for it to breathe before they serve it again - and then its free flow.
Usually, if I plan to drink it I ask them to leave it open for a while... honestly its a wonderful wine if given the right time to unlock its flavors - between Lynch Bages and Krug - I am a happy camper... sometimes they have some true gems even in B.C. especially ex Cali - they used to serve a wonderful Cuvaison Chardonnay - surprised it wasnt around.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Great trip report so far! Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:48 am

I have always enjoy reading your TR. It's always thorough and complete, it's almost feel like we have our own experience

I love Bangkok, and I hope you and your wife have a great time in Bangkok!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA
And Sebastiani is a good $12 cab.
Seriously, if you think this is a good international F wine list, you must be spending too much time on BA.

Sorry but an Austrian wine as one of two whites in CX F? The Bouchard Meursault is served on UA... enough said. I'll accept that the Pinot is a good choice, but a $12 Sebastiani Cab has to be someone's idea of a joke. The Chateau Lynch Bages rates highly but I didn't really enjoy it... could have been that the FA popped and poured and had not opened it prior to my requesting it. Certainly went better with food.
The BA wine list is terrible granted but that's hardly the point. I've flown a number of airlines in F and am yet to see a single list that doesn't have the odd dodgy bottle. Does UA really serve the same vintage Meursault, that alone would stop me drinking it!

Off the top of my head, the wine list on Swiss was great on my last two F flights with them but two decent wines on a list is about all I hope for these days.

Last edited by baggageinhall; Feb 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Great start and very nice pics! Looking forward to the rest... ^
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Great report and thank you for sharing. Looks like you put 270,000 AAdvantage miles to good use. Did you sleep much?

Last edited by TheAAdmiral; Feb 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Great report so far. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The first class experience looks superb. Totally jealous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.