Star Alliance RTW Mileage Jog: SFO-SEA-NRT-ICN-FRA-TXL-FRA-CPH-ORD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott

Note to reader: Updates from the trip now being posted. See page 2 of this thread.

As I move rapidly toward the big 5-0, I am thankful that I still have the energy of a teenager. Unfortunately, my attention span is also the same as it was when I was a boy. I find it very hard to sit still. I am not good at remaining in one place for a long period of time. If I had my way, I would pack a small bag, grab my passport and hit the road. As I get older I feel that I have less and less time to see the world, but more and more of a desire to do so.

Mark Twain said, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” How true. On our ever shrinking planet, where conflict, violence, war and famine affect so many, the ability of people of different creeds, philosophies and languages to meet and learn from one another is probably the best defense against a world that is increasingly going mad. Ok -- I'll come down off my soapbox now.

Given my desire to always be “on the go,” I am lucky that my job requires me to be on the road frequently. In 2010, I flew 119 times -- all on United Airlines. When it comes to flying, loyalty pays regardless of which airline you are loyal to. As an elite United "1K" customer, I usually (there are exceptions) am treated like royalty. I enjoy the 1K perks, including priority check-in, no baggage fees for up to four bags, priority security lines, priority “red carpet” boarding, priority upgrades and priority baggage service. Moreover, when there are delays United is very good at “taking care” of me and ensuring that I reach my destination. (Note: I know there are many people who have horrific tales of woe about United. I am a realist; if I did not have 1K status I know that my impression of United would be very different.)

Each year that I qualify as a 1K flyer, I receive a minimum of six "systemwide" upgrade coupons that are good, subject to availability, on any United flight worldwide. The coupons also can be used on United's partner airlines in the global Star Alliance. Alas, however, the systemwide upgrades are only good for one year -- use them or lose them. Two of my systemwide upgrades expire on February 28, 2011. I will NOT let them expire, nor will I consider using them for a “short hop” flight from my home near San Francisco to Los Angeles (a route I fly every week – 90% of the time I am upgraded to First Class anyway thanks to United’s unlimited domestic upgrade policy for 1K fliers.)

My first travel challenge of 2011, therefore, is to make the best use of my soon-to-expire systemwide upgrades; but whither shall I go? There are a number of places that are attractive, especially during the doldrums of winter, but I don’t want to go to most of these places alone and my partner can’t get away before the end of February.

Ever since I was a child, the act of traveling – the movement itself from one place to another – has been just as adventurous, important, fun and meaningful to me as the destination. Whether it was getting in the car for the family trip to Florida, catching the train to visit my sister in Toronto, or flying off to New York with my parents, I was never happier than when I was traveling from one place to another. You might think that in the post-9/11 era of increased security, crowded planes and long delays that my love for travel – especially air travel – has waned. It hasn’t. The airport is my favorite place on earth – and the larger and more crowded the airport the better. So instead of using my systemwide upgrades to get to one specific destination, I decided to use them to travel merely for travel sakes. I am going to take a week and fly around the world courtesy of United Airlines and its Star Alliance partners.

Planning a trip around the world using a combination of cash, miles and upgrade coupons is not easy. It took me nearly 3 hours, numerous phone calls to the United 1K desk and a significant amount of Internet research to get the itinerary set. In the end, I decided to fly east to west from San Francisco. My requirements were simple – use the systemwide upgrades and fly, if possible, in business class.

Some of my fellow frequent fliers might call this a mileage run. One of the reasons for taking this trip is that I will earn more than a significant number of frequent flier miles that will count toward my 2012 United 1K qualification. Technically, however, a mileage run is a trip that you take solely for the miles. There are no extended stopovers and all of your flights are back-to-back-to-back. My trip is considered a “mileage jog.” Given the distances involved, I am stopping twice for multiple nights to ensure that I get enough rest and to see some places that are on my “bucket list.” My trip starts on a February Saturday at 6:35 a.m. when I depart San Francisco for Seattle, and ends a week later when I arrive in San Francisco at 11:00 p.m. on a flight from Chicago. As it stands now, the full itinerary is:

San Francisco – Seattle – Tokyo – Seoul: all three flights on UA metal, purchased nonrefundable coach ticket – confirmed in business using systemwide upgrade; three free award nights at Seoul Hilton.

Seoul – Frankfurt: purchased relatively inexpensive Lufthansa business class ticket; can apply systemwide upgrade on day of the flight – right now first class is wide open, so I am hopeful. One night in Frankfurt at airport Sheraton.

Frankfurt – Berlin – Frankfurt: purchased a roundtrip coach ticket on Lufthansa for US$155. One free award night at Berlin Hilton. Upon return to Frankfurt, one more night at airport Sheraton.

Frankfurt – Copenhagen – Chicago – San Francisco: purchased a relatively inexpensive, “nonrefundable” coach class ticket through United and upgraded with miles -- first two legs are on SAS, the last is on United.

While is Seoul I am taking a side tour to the Demilitarized Zone that separates South Korea from North Korea. The DMZ is the most heavily militarized zone in the world. One million troops on each side of the border have stared each other down since a cease-fire ended the Korean War hostilities. Technically, North Korea is still at war with South Korea and it allies, including the United States, because the parties never negotiated or signed a peace treaty. Given my trip to the DMZ and my two days in Berlin, you might say that my round-the-world winter sojourn is my cold, Cold War tour of 2011.

Korea and Germany in the middle of winter. Some of you must be thinking that I am crazy. Maybe I am. Updates and photos from the road will be posted here.

Any helpful hints -- especially about Seoul are welcome. I understand that the new direct rail line between Inchon and downtown Seoul is now open. I arrive at 9:30 p.m., so I am weighing my options for getting from ICN to the hotel.

Last edited by thumbun; Feb 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Re Seoul:
Will you be in the Millennium Hilton or the Hilton Grand? The former is not too far from Seoul station, the last stop on the airport train. The latter is more to the north, requires two changes and a walk on the subway, and you're much better off with the limousine bus.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Re Seoul:
Will you be in the Millennium Hilton or the Hilton Grand? The former is not too far from Seoul station, the last stop on the airport train. The latter is more to the north, requires two changes and a walk on the subway, and you're much better off with the limousine bus.

The Millennium. Looks like it is not too far from Seoul station. This is my first trip to Korea, so I am looking forward to it.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by thumbun
The Millennium. Looks like it is not too far from Seoul station.
Exit #8 from the station underpass (this is important - the main exit is onto the forecourt and you can't cross the road - an expressway - from there). The hotel is right behind the Church. Can't miss it.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Exit #8 from the station underpass (this is important - the main exit is onto the forecourt and you can't cross the road - an expressway - from there). The hotel is right behind the Church. Can't miss it.
Thanks much for the very useful tip. Was looking at the area on Google maps and was trying to figure out how to get across the expressway.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:09 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Couldn't agree more with your travel philosophy and I am looking forward to your pics and reports. I'm surprised that you can use your UA systemwide upgrades on LH and SK (do they have to be code shared flights as a condition of usage?.) I thought they exclusively applied for UA. On AA that is the case unfortunately, only on AA which sucks.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
Couldn't agree more with your travel philosophy and I am looking forward to your pics and reports. I'm surprised that you can use your UA systemwide upgrades on LH and SK (do they have to be code shared flights as a condition of usage?.) I thought they exclusively applied for UA. On AA that is the case unfortunately, only on AA which sucks.
The SWU can be used on LH, but only one the day of the flight. Right now, F is wide open, so i am crossing my fingers. SK flights are code share.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:20 pm

Seoul – Frankfurt: purchased relatively inexpensive Lufthansa business class ticket; can apply systemwide upgrade on day of the flight – right now first class is wide open, so I am hopeful. One night in Frankfurt at airport Sheraton.

Frankfurt – Berlin – Frankfurt: purchased a roundtrip coach ticket on Lufthansa for US$155. One free award night at Berlin Hilton. Upon return to Frankfurt, one more night at airport Sheraton.
One of the best uses of a UA SWU is to get an upgrade from C to F on LH and use the FCL in FRA or MUC. You might look at ICN-TXL which will be through MUC or FRA and just do the one way to FRA. If not, I'm pretty sure you can use the FCL as an arrivals lounge when flying transoceanic F, so please allow time upon arrival in FRA to shower and to breakfast at this wonderful lounge. One of the compelling aspects of the lounge beyond the tremendous menu are the amazing alcohols that they offer. Not as attractive for a 9am arrival, but you may have to take one for the team.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by #10
One of the best uses of a UA SWU is to get an upgrade from C to F on LH and use the FCL in FRA or MUC. You might look at ICN-TXL which will be through MUC or FRA and just do the one way to FRA. If not, I'm pretty sure you can use the FCL as an arrivals lounge when flying transoceanic F, so please allow time upon arrival in FRA to shower and to breakfast at this wonderful lounge. One of the compelling aspects of the lounge beyond the tremendous menu are the amazing alcohols that they offer. Not as attractive for a 9am arrival, but you may have to take one for the team.
You can't use the FCL as an arrival lounge if you don't have a connecting flight, as is the case for the OP (he has flight to TXL on the next day only).

Last edited by tom tulpe; Jan 24, 2011 at 4:52 am Reason: doesn't make sense w/o the bit in bold, does it?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum

Frankfurt – Copenhagen – Chicago – San Francisco: purchased a relatively inexpensive, “nonrefundable” coach class ticket through United and upgraded with miles -- first two legs are on SAS, the last is on United.
Sounds like a great trip, very jealous!

Out of curiosity, how did you upgrade the above leg of your trip? Were all segments upgraded or just the Chicago-San Francisco leg? Did you use United Miles to upgrade? SAS miles? I only ask because I'm curious if you upgraded the Copenhagen to Chicago flight with united miles, which I believed was impossible.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Sounds like a great trip, very jealous!

Out of curiosity, how did you upgrade the above leg of your trip? Were all segments upgraded or just the Chicago-San Francisco leg? Did you use United Miles to upgrade? SAS miles? I only ask because I'm curious if you upgraded the Copenhagen to Chicago flight with united miles, which I believed was impossible.
Sorry -- I wasn't clear -- I've had so many flights and flight numbers spinning in my head. ORD to SFO is upgraded; CPH to ORD is in economy, although I am regretting that I didn't just spend the $$$ and purchase a biz ticket. Oh well.

Here is the summary

SFO-SEA-NRT-ICN: UA economy purchased; upgrades confirmed with SWU

ICN-FRA: LH business purchased; hoping to upgrade to first w/SWU (can only do so at the airport on day of departure)

FRA-TXL-FRA: LH purchased economy

FRA-CPH: LH purchased economy

CPH-ORD-SFO: UA purchased economy, CPH-ORD is code share with SK; ORD-SFO upgraded with miles

Now, I am sure that some of you are wondering why I would fly to CPH on LH, instead of just flying FRA-SFO (either nonstop, via ORD or IAD). Long story that I'd just as soon forget as I'd rather not proclaim my temporary bout with stupidity on this esteemed forum.

Hilton Seoul and Berlin - award nights
Sheraton Frankfurt - standard reservation
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
My trip is considered a “mileage jog.”
I kinda like that term!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You can't use the FCL as an arrival lounge if you don't have a connecting flight, as is the case for the OP (he has flight to TXL on the next day only).
This does not appear to be correct, according to the information on FT and LH's site.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-fct-faqs.html

I'm arriving on LH / LX F and departing same day on another carrier in any cabin class, will I have access to the F terminal?
- Yes, if your onward flight is operated by LH, Swiss, Air Dolomiti or Austrian Airlines Group. Otherwise, you will only have access to the LH F airside lounges or (if eligible) the lounge of the airline operating your onward flight.

LH rules on the LH site
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This does not appear to be correct, according to the information on FT and LH's site.
Why not? Your quote specifically mentiones "same day" connections - which the OP doesn't have. He overnights in FRA, both en route to TXL and coming back. No FCL or FCT for him, therefore. Tough luck
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Why not? Your quote specifically mentiones "same day" connections - which the OP doesn't have. He overnights in FRA, both en route to TXL and coming back. No FCL or FCT for him, therefore. Tough luck
Thanks for the info, but in both instances --- upon arrival from ICN and TXL, I will be heading right to my hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.