Search

CO BF IAH-LHR and VS UC LHR-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
CO BF IAH-LHR and VS UC LHR-LAX

Flew phx-iah-lhr on CO on 12/24; lhr-lax-phx on Virgin (US for the flight home to phx). I found marked differences between the two products and wanted to summarize below.

Check in

PHX was relatively quiet late afternoon on Christmas eve so security was light. I did get a a look at the security line at IAH when I was there and was equally light. I had two bags to check in at phx, and the agent moreorless replicated in front of me how to do this using the kiosk. I find it a bit annoying and borderline condecending to be honest. Is it too much to actually check in with a human being anymore?

On the way home checking in yesterday at T3 at LHR was a breeze. I was greeted by a very nice and professional agent at the upper class check in. My bags were checked and after I was handed our BP's I walked 10 feet to my right to an invitation only elevator for upper class security. NICE. Within 5 minutes I was through...painless

Lounges

The PC is what it is. Packaged cheese, fritos, apples, and crackers. Yay. It is quite utilitarian for lack of a better word. I wish CO would have a lounge dedicated to BF passengers like UA does (IFL). I don't have quite more to add on this.

As expected, the VS lounge blows the PC away. It was huge. We sat down in a restaurant type setting and was presented a menu by a server and had a complete breakfast. Laptops were provided in the business section with internet access to use free of charge. An entire list of complimentary spa/grooming options were available as well. The bar looked like something out of a swanky hotel.

On board

At IAH we boarded the 772 and were greeted by a very nice and professional flight attendant. They offered to take our coats and asked us was type of pre-flight drink we ordered. The meal was a 5 course affair, with 4 entrees to choose from. It was delicious. I topped it off with a sundae from the desert cart. I really enjoy all the bread options available as well. The pretzel roll is my fav ^ Feelings were mixed about the lay flat seat. I find it narrow (I'm not huge, 6'1", 195 lbs) but my feet felt confined inside the footwell. Their IFE takes top notch. AVOD and plenty of movies choices with a huge screen. By far the best I've seen.

On the contrary the VS experience was a thumbs down. We were on flight 7 yesterday and the itinerary said it was going to be a 346 but turned out to be a 343. The aircraft was tired and showed it's age with wear and tear. The flight crew were very friendly and professional and offered to take our jackets and offered our pre-flight drink as well. I have mixed feelings on the seat. I found it wider and liked how my feet were unobstructed. VS's seat configuration is good if you are traveling solo and don't want to look outside. Unfortunately I was traveling with someone and love to look outside You have to crane your neck to look outside. The food service was well, miserable. Only three entree offerings were available, some god awful sounding lamb dish, chicken with leeks, and a veg tikki masala. I wish VS would offer 1. more choices and 2. more selection than what appeared to be a pretty typical British type meal. You had a choice of starter, you didn't get to sample all like CO. After the buttersquash soup (the best part of the meal) I received my tikki, then you had a choice of bread pudding (really?) and some chocolate hostess looking desert. The food was bland at best. The best way to describe VS's UC catering is coach food on a plate. Presentation was very weak. There was no salad. Bread consisted of garlic bread (soggy and cold) or "mint and cheese bread" The cheese selection was a cheddar, cammemberet, or a stilton with carr's crackers. 1 hour before the conclusion of the flight "light offerings" were served. This process was somewhat confusing as the menu doesn't distinguish what is available at what time. There was a "afternoon tea with sandwiches" and then a "light bites" section underneath on the menu. "Light bites" were mini sushi, mini burger, or a salad. I asked for a burger but they said they only had 5 and were out. I then asked if I could have the sandwiches and salad. The presented three 3" sandwiches filled with roast beef, some cheese concoction I neither recognized or could pronnounce, and a salmon and cream cheese. I barely at the roast beef. The others were unedible. Although this flight was an hour longer than the iah-lhr flight, half way we were famished. The only snacks availalbe were apples and oranges at the bar. The IFE is ancient. Cassette type system, not AVOD, and one of the movies didn't work. My experience with VS certainly leaves room for improvement.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Good report

I have heard some dreadful stories about VS's catering...worse than BA.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
You've brought back my memories of my VS flight from LHR - JFK! The food was edible but not great, although the steak I had was very nice.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
VS used to have great catering in UC, but it was cut back drastically some years ago. The VS UC ground service is top notch, but the product fails in-flight both in terms of the seat and the catering.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:14 pm

The section with the burgers etc is available at any time during the flight. I have also found them to be happy to serve any main course if they have any left. There is no reason to be hungry on any of VS' flights, especially after a stuffing of clubhouse burger.

Thanks for the comparison/report!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by residentx
The section with the burgers etc is available at any time during the flight. I have also found them to be happy to serve any main course if they have any left. There is no reason to be hungry on any of VS' flights, especially after a stuffing of clubhouse burger.

Thanks for the comparison/report!
Thanks for the info. The f/a didn't make that known at all and didn't make it aware until 2 hours before landing. I didn't eat at the clubhouse thinking I wouldn't need to with my soon to be UC meal. Oops.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
what appeared to be a pretty typical British type meal.

The presented three 3" sandwiches filled with roast beef, some cheese concoction I neither recognized or could pronnounce, and a salmon and cream cheese.
Thanks for the report.

CO's food puts VA's in the shade.

I thought the statements above were quite amusing!
A pretty typical British airline would most likely serve a "typical British-type meal", so to speak. Just like the American airlines serve steaks and ice cream.

I would stick with CO in future as well.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Thanks for the report.

CO's food puts VA's in the shade.

I thought the statements above were quite amusing!
A pretty typical British airline would most likely serve a "typical British-type meal", so to speak. Just like the American airlines serve steaks and ice cream.

I would stick with CO in future as well.
Actually what I was trying to say is I wish the menu was more diverse. Yes, an American flag carrier would offer typical american food, but then again, there would most likely be a pasta option, chicken, fish, or beef, trying to please most if not all, palates. I would have been happy if VS provided an pasta dish. Keeping your selections confined to lamb, chicken with very obscure sounding accompanyments, and an Indian dish are pretty lame, at least IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:52 pm

VS onboard food is not great, but I am always happy to fly VS LHR-LAX at 4pm. I enjoy a nice meal in the lounge and do not eat on the plane, except to pick at the desserts which are always tasty. Have a few drinks on the plane, start a movie, and wake up over Vegas.

Airplane food sucks. VS invests heavily in lounges and lounge food, at both LHR and LAX in the NZ lounge. Once you know, then use the lounges and enjoy VS for the onboard bar, PJs, private pod.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Actually what I was trying to say is I wish the menu was more diverse. Yes, an American flag carrier would offer typical american food, but then again, there would most likely be a pasta option, chicken, fish, or beef, trying to please most if not all, palates. I would have been happy if VS provided an pasta dish. Keeping your selections confined to lamb, chicken with very obscure sounding accompanyments, and an Indian dish are pretty lame, at least IMO.
I follow what you are saying.
Tikki masala is actually very common in the UK and has been for years to the point that you can probably count it as "British" food, rather than Indian! It usually comes as the chicken variety.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Airplane food sucks.
It just depends on the airline - it is actually quite good to excellent on other carriers.
Examples are ANA, JL, EK, SQ, etc.............
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VS onboard food is not great, but I am always happy to fly VS LHR-LAX at 4pm. I enjoy a nice meal in the lounge and do not eat on the plane, except to pick at the desserts which are always tasty. Have a few drinks on the plane, start a movie, and wake up over Vegas.

Airplane food sucks. VS invests heavily in lounges and lounge food, at both LHR and LAX in the NZ lounge. Once you know, then use the lounges and enjoy VS for the onboard bar, PJs, private pod.
I'd rather they focus more on the in-flight product. That's where one spends most of their time when flying VS. The menu is inadequate for a long haul flight.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:09 pm

The VS in flight product is great in terms of drinks, pillow, duvet, flat bed, desserts, PJs, bar, AVOD. Poor in terms of starters, mains, second meal. The good is far more important to me than the bad.

SQ J meals are quite poor. Only flown JL and NH in F so not a fair comp to upper.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice report. Would like to see what 'mini sushi' actually looks like.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The VS in flight product is great in terms of drinks, pillow, duvet, flat bed, desserts, PJs, bar, AVOD. Poor in terms of starters, mains, second meal. The good is far more important to me than the bad.

SQ J meals are quite poor. Only flown JL and NH in F so not a fair comp to upper.
I actually have two big issues with the seat in addition to the angle away from the window. First, the tray table is too low when extended, makign it hard to eat or work. Second, the mini table for holding a drink is located in such a way that one must reach around with the opposite arm to reach the drink. It is awkward.

I still think that, on a long haul flight, having the limited number of choices that VS offers is absurd (as an aside, I haven't had issues with the quality). Just because an airline provides flat beds, doesn't mean that passengers are going to sleep away the entire flight and not notice the poor catering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.