Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

When elite status really is worth the mileage.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Photos courtesy of my BlackBerry. Hence the picture quality will be shockingly poor compared to my previous reports.

Previous reports:

A first Class Binge.

London City to JFK on BA all business.

BA First to JFK + Coldplay

Flying in premium cabins lounge access and other perks are usually included. The Elite status is less beneficial compared to if flying in coach. I had to make a very last minute business trip to London. A 12 hour day return more or less. Club Europe or intra-EU J/C asking price was 1500USD. Two weeks out and you can find them for 500USD. Coach it was and I managed to snag a dirt cheap fare through some connections. Thank you! You know who you are.

Alarm off at 04.45 with a cab picking me up in the city shortly after for a ten past seven flight. We had a baby three weeks ago so sleeping is a luxury recently. You got it, I was past the zombie stage. I fell asleep in the shower. Found the phone after the snooze and had a calm but irritated message on my voicemail from the assistant in the office whos number was on file with the car company.

Off we went, had some breakfast in the 3rd party ARN lounge. The highlight was that I would arrive at my current favourite terminal and would avoid immigration lines due to using IRIS.

Did the business and arrived back at LHR T5 around 5.40pm. I gave Mrs Petrus a call as I arrived in a surprisingly calm T5, I mean it should be rush hour.

She said her and the baby would be staying at her parents home since I would be arriving late anyway. For sure, I would miss them for 1 day, but the knowledge I would get a full nights un-interupted sleep was welcome news. And now I could sample the delights of the BA T5 Galleries First Lounge (OW Emeralds) and perhaps even sinfully indulge in some bubbles, wine and JW Blue Label without feeling guilty.
It turned out to be a well needed and deserved feast.

From now the pictures can tell the story. The benefits of being an Elite on a cheap coach ticket really came to its own.
It's a great airline lounge.

Lounge Terrace with superb airport action views.

More terrace.

Lets head inside for some Champagne.

I'll go for the Clos du Moulin.

Pink available too (Bruno Paillard) however I am no fan of pink bubbles.

The reds.

Waited service. Pumpkin soup with a rich Champagne was an excellent start. And then some hearty snacks.
Oh yes, even the FT likes the wedding. They make such a wonderful couple.

Some red (Chinon, Clos de l'echos) with the burger and blue cheese.

Entree. Even though I prefer cream free carbonara's it was quite okay.

Took a break from my lovely solo dinner. This lounge experience beats many restaurants.
Catch up on the web with a glass of white.

Gold bar. It's rarely busy and often empty. Perfect for a glass of bubbly and a private call.

Time for dessert and coffee.

Oh yes, there's JW Blue.

No need to complicate matters when you have quality produce. I comitted a sin by eating dessert by a pc but at this stage, on my own, I could not bother about exemplary manners.

Needless to say the BA Elite status was a godsend this evening.
Rested on the plane and got home safely. Slept like a baby until 8.30am.

Thanks for looking.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:25 pm

Great report Petrus.

The photos were actually pretty good.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I am in utter disbelief that they have self serve Blue Label. Now that's high class. ^

Thanks for the report. The lounge looks incredible.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
So Disappointed

I am soo disappointed in the United Lounges, even in the internationally. I have found that the ANA Lounge in Narita is one of the best deals.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great photos Petrus. ^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great report Petrus, looking forward to GF tomorrow morning on the way to TXL.

One question is 8.30am too early for some bubbles as we depart for a 4 day weekend??

Heart says no, head says maybe!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

It's never too early or late for Champagne. Or I should say it is always time for Champagne Enjoy your visit to GF and TXL.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Petrus
It's never too early or late for Champagne.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just as I thought...... :-)
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jschoi
I am in utter disbelief that they have self serve Blue Label. Now that's high class. ^

Thanks for the report. The lounge looks incredible.
Uh, yea. I have been through that lounge 3x in the past 3 weeks and not seen the Blue. Where is it? Only one specific bar in the F lounge?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:09 am
Original Poster

This should explain where you find the bottle of JW Blue:

Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
OP - Nice photos and quite the map maker you are! I'm sure that will come in handy for a few FTer's.

@rosenten - I don't disagree, although I am always quite happy and content in the HKG United lounge. Lots of room showers (which one day I will make use of), lots of magazines, food, beverages, and snacks, and a nice open design where you can look down at the gates below.

Had some nice curry chicken and rice when passing through in Sept. Never a bad experience to date in HKG.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Nice report, Petrus. And I love the map.

You certainly have shown the benefits of having OWE status. Who cares about spending a couple of hours in ET when there is JW Blue to be enjoyed prior to your flight home. ^
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Petrus
This should explain where you find the bottle of JW Blue:
Well that makes elite status worth the mileage!

I know the Lufthansa FCT/FCL in Frankfurt have JW Blue, but that's about it.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:31 am

Great report and photos. Thanks.

I can also see Black Bush there near the JW Blue. Can you recall what the other whisky/whiskey offerings were?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.