Los Angeles to Buenos Aires on United + Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau + Iguazu Falls

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Los Angeles to Buenos Aires on United + Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau + Iguazu Falls

Hi guys:

This is a recount of my July trip to South America on United. The highlights were seeing Iguazu Falls from the Brazillian side (w/o a visa ) and staying at the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires.

I've only linked to my blog posts, but trust me--you won't get a virus by clicking on them and they're worth a click! Hundreds of pictures await...

-Matthew

I: Introduction
II: Los Angeles to Washington Dulles via Denver in United First
III: Washington to Buenos Aires in United Airlines Business Class
IV: Business Class (Cama) Bus Service from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls on Crucero del Norte
V: Breakfast in Paraguay, Lunch in Brazil, Dinner in Argentina + Brazilian Side of Cataratas
VI: Iguazu Falls from the Argentinian Side + Sheraton Iguazu Falls
VII: First Class (Super Cama) Bus Service from Iguazu Falls to Buenos Aires on Rio Uruguay
VIII: Exploring Buenos Aires
IX: Day trip to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
X: Review: Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
XI: Buenos Aires to Washington, DC in United Economy
XII: Outstanding Service on United from IAD-LAS-SFO-LAX
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
A truly A+ trip report! Since my best friend lives in Argentina, I gotta check out those first class "cama" buses. Thanks for posting.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Great read, thanks for the report. Chuckled about the Ponchos.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yup I agree with ripper it was a good TR!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glad to see you had a great trip down this neck of the woods.....pity the weather hadn't been kinder to you. I agree, the Palacio Duhau is one of the best...I've had the pleasure of staying there on a few occasions and cannot fault the place.
Great report. ^
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:41 pm

Thanks for the memories - I've been fortunate enough to visit Iguazu twice and would go back yet again given the opportunity.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very nice report!

Not only did I get home earlier (with extra miles): my upgrades were preserved--something I really did not expect.
^
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Great report. I love the mix of budget travelling and luxury. I try and do similar, but I think you beat me on both counts - more budget and more luxurious at the same time.

I quickly remembered why I don’t like UA’s old business class seats: they are difficult for me to sleep on. I sleep on my side and a recliner seat makes this hard.
I never really made the connection, but I sleep on my side as well and have never found semi-reclining seats to be any advantage for sleep either.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Originally Posted by fly747first
A truly A+ trip report! Since my best friend lives in Argentina, I gotta check out those first class "cama" buses. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for reading! The busses are a great way to get around and a fraction of the price of flying on LAN Peru.

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Great read, thanks for the report. Chuckled about the Ponchos.
Yeah, those ponchos were a bit suggestive.

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Yup I agree with ripper it was a good TR!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Glad to see you had a great trip down this neck of the woods.....pity the weather hadn't been kinder to you. I agree, the Palacio Duhau is one of the best...I've had the pleasure of staying there on a few occasions and cannot fault the place.
Great report. ^
The weather was bad in BA, but I'd much rather have the cold rain than hot sun! I can't wait to return to BA.

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Thanks for the memories - I've been fortunate enough to visit Iguazu twice and would go back yet again given the opportunity.
Thanks for your comments!

Originally Posted by sobore
Very nice report!

^
Thanks!

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Great report. I love the mix of budget travelling and luxury. I try and do similar, but I think you beat me on both counts - more budget and more luxurious at the same time.

I never really made the connection, but I sleep on my side as well and have never found semi-reclining seats to be any advantage for sleep either.
I'm such a tightwad that I will very rarely splurge on a hotel--that's why I was so thankful for Hyatt's "Faster Free Nights" promotion. If not for that, I would have been in a hostel in Buenos Aires!

I avoid semi-reclining seats now on overnight flights--no matter how hard I try, I can't sleep on them. Angled lie-flats are a little better, but if I want to insure a good sleep I need a horizontal lie-flat.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold
really great report mate! a nice mix of humour, detail & pic's.

The Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires looked excellent, with the service being no doubt impeccible. A beautiful building as well.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Fantastic report, bringing back many great memories.

If (when!) you do back to SA, and you do re-visit Iguazu Falls, def. splurge on the Sheraton. I go every year or other year, and it seems that the multitudes are getting bigger and bigger during park opening hours. Those precious few hours before the tourists arrive, and after the tourists leave, when it's just you and falls and that piece of paradise all to yourself---priceless. Worth every penny/point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.