Search

Oxford Pub Crawl on LX NBO-ZRH-LHR-ZRH-NBO J Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Oxford Pub Crawl on LX NBO-ZRH-LHR-ZRH-NBO J Class

Swiss – Business Class NBO-ZRH-LHR-ZRH-NBO

After having been flying on Emirates pretty mush exclusively for the past eleven years, their fares had become ridiculous, so it was time to look into other airlines, and a decision was reached to join Star Alliance and fly as much as we can on Star Alliance airlines. Based in Nairobi, this gave us South African Airways, Swiss, and Turkish Airlines.

A friend was turning 60 in Oxford, and had invited us on a pub-crawl through the historic streets of Oxford. So flights were booked after asking a few questions on Flyer Talk.

NBO – ZRH LX293
Swiss Business Class, Seat 12D, A330
Wednesday 15 September 2010
2325 0625

Having cleared security before check in, the LX counters were busy, including Business class. We were seen in around 5 minutes and checked through to LHR. The staff were courteous and polite.

Immigration was extremely busy and took a good half an hour to clear. Swiss uses the common First Class lounge in NBO, which is very average and cramped. We only had time to grab a bottle of water, and head to the barding gate.

At the gate there was no separate line for Business class passengers. After a quick passport check, we were ready to board our bird to ZRH.

First impressions – the seat did not seem to have great pitch. The configuration is 1-2-1 and 2-2-1. We were on the left side in a double seat.

Pre-departure drinks of champagne, water and juice were offered. We were asked for our newspaper selection. They only had international papers, and no local papers. The amenity kit (nice bag with limited contents – toothbrush/paste, socks, eye mask, ear plugs) was on the seat.

After take off, I noticed that some passengers got their meals and drinks first. I assume they are Gold and Platinum frequent flyers. While I do appreciate that airlines look after their top tier customers, in Business/First class, we are all paying passengers and should be treated equally. Hot towels were also handed out.

Trolley service commenced in the front mini cabin first, and then in the rear cabin from back to front. By the time we were served, it was well over one hour into service. I asked for a glass of water for my wife, and was told that we have to wait for the trolley – come on!!!

Swiss serves a hot meal on one tray with drinks at the same time, as it is a night flight. Food was the same as ZRH-NBO. The menu handed out was for ZRH-NBO, but there was no choice of starters, just pathetic fast food style coleslaw. For the main course there was a choice of beef, chicken or vegetarian. Swiss have chefs from 5 star restaurants who design the menu, and the food was excellent. I had the beef with orange, and several glasses of the Chianti. Desert was a lime. Cheese was offered, as well as tea and coffee in mugs. Chocolates were passed around. Overall it was a very good food service, with tasty food. It did take a while to get food and drinks to us

After dinner, I was ready to sleep. Bottles of water were handed out. The seat goes flat, and your feet go under the armrest of the seat in front of you. The seat goes down very low. I found the seat a bit hard, with a lump in the middle. The pillow is good, and the blanket average. I think I got around 4 hours of sleep.

About an hour before landing, the lights came back on, and a continental breakfast was served. Hot towels were handed out. Breakfast consisted of a fruit salad, fresh hot breads, and a plate with cheese and cold meats. It was just right.

We landed on time, and disembarking was fast. Passengers from the left side of the plane de-boarded from L2, while those on the right from L1.

A great service on Swiss is that on the TV screens, information is given about what gate you are arriving at, where connecting flights are boarding from, and what luggage carousel your bags are arriving at. We had a 40 minute connection to LHR, so it was good to know where we were going to.

The flight was good. Seat was comfortable, food excellent, service was good and polite. There were two toilets for all of Business class, which I found to be inadequate. They were however kept clean throughout the flight.

We found the Sky Train and were in Terminal A in 12 minutes after disembarking. We then walked over to Terminal B, and had to go through Security. There is a fast track lane, but this was busy as well as the normal lines. We made it to our gate (boarding was by bus) in time to catch the last bus to our A320.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Zrh – lhr lx316

ZRH – LHR LX316
Swiss Business Class, Seat 2D, A320
Thursday 16 September 2010
0705 0755

We boarded a bus that took us to our next flight.

Swiss European Business class is economy seating 3-3 across with the middle seat blocked. Bottles of water were offered with refresher towel sachets. Newspapers were also distributed.

After take off, a hot breakfast (choice given) was offered with fresh fruit, yoghurt, juice, tea/coffee and breads. Service was excellent. The food was fresh and tasty. Chocolates were offered after the meal service. Service was from the rear to the front of the cabin.

The flight to LHR was short and comfortable. As usual when normally arriving into LHR, we had to circle for 15 minutes but landed on time and were at our gate by 8:00 am.

LX does not offer priority immigration service for Business Class passengers. As we were one of the first flights of the morning, there wasn’t a long queue and we were at the luggage carousel in less then 10 minutes. We waited around 10 minutes for the carousel to crank up, and our bags took another 5 minutes. With a 40 minute connection in ZRH, our bags had made it.

Overall, I was extremely surprised by the great service offered by Swiss.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Lhr - zrh lx345

LHR - ZRH LX345
Swiss Business Class, Seat 7D, A320
Wednesday 22 September 2010
0600 0840

An early flight from LHR. Had to leave where we were staying at 4:30 am, and were at check in by 5:00 am. There is one business class and 4 economy counters. They were not busy at all, and we were checked through to NBO in no time at all. We were invited to use the Star Alliance Lounge.

At 5:00 am LHR Terminal One was dead. No shops were open. We made our way to the Star Alliance lounge. It is large, and had some good food offerings – juices, cereals, yoghurt, bacon or sausage rolls, breads, and an open bar. The bacon rolls were good ☺ Flights are not announced in the lounge, and at check in, we were advised that the gate had not been assigned. The monitors showed gate 21, which was 5 minutes away.

Priority boarding was announced for Business Class and Star Alliance Gold, and Economy was boarded by row.

We were seated and as per the incoming flight, we were offered a bottle of water and refresher towel sachet. Take off was delayed by 40 minutes, as the Captain announced there was fog in ZRH.

After take off, a hot English breakfast was offered with fresh fruit, yoghurt, juice, tea/coffee and breads. Once again service was excellent. Chocolates were also offered.

We had a 25 minute connection at ZRH for our flight to Nairobi. Once again the connecting gates were displayed, and on arrival we made a dash to Terminal E. We got to our gate as one of the last passengers. I asked the gate staff of our bags will make it. He asked us what flight we were coming from, looked it up and said “25 minutes is no problem”. Swiss efficiency☺
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Zrh – nbo lx292

ZRH – NBO LX292
Swiss Business Class, Seat 12D
Wednesday 22 September 2010
0930 1810

We were in the second last row, in the middle. The seats now seemed more spacious then on the way to ZRH from NBO. Pre-departure drinks were offered including champagne, water and juice. Newspapers were also distributed. Amenity kits were already at our seats, and the bag was different to the one on the way from NBO to ZRH. These bags are actually pretty cool.

The CSD welcome us on board, and was very polite and courteous. After take off, hot towels were distributed with menus. Then bags of crisps and nuts were offered with a drink service. Excellent service. Then a second drinks service, and our food order was taken. We were addressed by name.

The trolley came to the back of the cabin, and starters were handed out on a tray. There was a choice of starters (salmon or boiled beef), a salad and bread. Also more drinks. I was having the champagne. Main course was then handed out – Beef, Chicken or Vegetarian. I had the chicken – tasted like chicken with a lasagna. One of the best airline meals I have had (even compared to EK First). Again more drinks – I had the Chianti. We were offered all three red wines to taste. Then the desert and cheese trolley came around – I had both. A few more glasses of red, and I was ready to have a nap.

Three hours later, a light meal was served. It consisted of ham, potato salad and green bean salad. Excellent food once again. Brilliant service. I had a juice and coffee. Then chocolates again ☺

We landed on time, and were at the luggage carousel in less then 15 minutes. Bags took another 5 minutes, and our were there☺

I was pleasantly surprised by Swiss Business Class. Service was genuinely warm. Food was great. The seats were comfortable. I would definitely fly Swiss again.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
[B
2325 0625[/B] I asked for a glass of water for my wife, and was told that we have to wait for the trolley – come on!!!
Seriously? In business class? I would have helped myself to the bottle off the trolley.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Desert was a lime.
Ouch. Talk about cost cutting!

Great report. Thanks for posting.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:55 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

After having been flying on Emirates pretty mush exclusively for the past eleven years, their fares had become ridiculous, so it was time to look into other airlines, and a decision was reached to join Star Alliance and fly as much as we can on Star Alliance airlines. Based in Nairobi, this gave us South African Airways, Swiss, and Turkish Airlines.
Don't forget Brussels Airlines. I flew NBO-BRU last week in C and it was really quite good!
Also EgyptAir flies NBO-CAI.

Nice report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.