Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDF-BTV on CO (Sorry, no pix)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:27 am
Original Poster

SDF-BTV on CO (Sorry, no pix)

I rode a motorcycle out to Louisville for a friend, and he purchased a one-way ticket back.

Leg 1: SDF-EWR on CO 3082 (ExpressJet Metal)
Flight was overbooked, but having checked in online the night before, I was assured a seat assignment. The upside of an overbooked flight was that we pushed back about 20 minutes early, as all pax were boarded quickly. Two gripes about SDF: 1. Security line is always way too long. With only one checkpoint, it is a pinch-point on the entire airport, and there just isn't enough space to have the number of aisles they need. 2. There is virtually no food available once past security. Really just a starbucks.

Flight was on an Embraer; I was in the aisle seat that isn't a window seat. Sat next to a civilian DOD employee coming back from Ft Knox. I had read that tomato juice is sweeter at altitude, and now I finally had the chance to put that theory to the test. I detest tomato juice on the ground. I found the taste palatable and sweeter at altitude, but the texture still puts me off. We had those pretzel sticks with altogether too much salt in the bottom of the bag. Arrived at EWR, and had to take two shuttles to get to "C" concourse. That was just plain excessive. That is the sign of an airline that is intentionally packing too many flights into a hub that cannot handle it. By the time we got to "C", I had just enough time to snarf down some marginal italian food brought to me by a spanish-speaking staff.

We boarded our Colgan Q400 (CO 3256) (Last time I let somebody else plan my itinerary!) a little early, as well. The Q400 is an aircraft I could definitely get used to. Spacious, reasonably modern, a touch loud, but really not that bad. No, I was nervous because it was raining in Newark, and a potential mixed precip in Burlington, and Colgan flight crew in the cockpit, doing their last flight of the day; (or first of the "duty day") on who knows how much rest. I do not paint all regional airlines with the same brush I paint Colgan. Anyway, I was very surprised at two things aboard the q400: 1. There were two f/a working the flight. 2. They were both male f/a. They were reasonably efficient and were able to serve us all on the 45 minute hop to Burlington. This time I took my usual diet sprite, and had the same pretzel sticks with too much salt in the bottom of the bag. We arrived significantly early to BTV, Our base leg was over Lake Champlain, and I watched like a hawk for signs of stalling as we turned final. I was very relieved when the pilot planted those tires on terra firma. If I had it to do over, I would have departed earlier and avoided Colgan at all costs. As it is, I feel bad that some of my fare went to support such a lousy regional.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Thanks for posting this report!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP , Avis Presidents Club, Marriot Titanium
2. There is virtually no food available once past security. Really just a starbucks.

There is actually 2 bar style restaurants on each side for meals. I actually enjoy SDF except for the ridiculous lines at security.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrassGuru
There is actually 2 bar style restaurants on each side for meals. I actually enjoy SDF except for the ridiculous lines at security.
You are, of course, correct. But once I was through that ridiculous security line, I didn't have enough time to risk a sit-down meal at one of the airport bars. What I should have said was, no fast food (except starbucks) after security. As it was, I arrived HUNGRY to EWR, where most of the food vendors seemed to be on the verge of closing. I had some good penne, delicious grilled veggies, and a dried-out lasagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.