Wiki Posts
Search

Around the world in 50 hours in F - Twice in one week

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sobore
Great TR!

Any chance you can still make that call?
I think about her from time to time, but it was really just two ships passing in the night...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great report.

I would suggest OP call the Russian journalist. Even though it was just one encounter, but you never know how it may end.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Outstanding (and yes, a tad mental) story! Also loved the bits about the Russian reporter and tuck job.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Great TR! I usually just ignore TR's without pictures and do not even bother to read them, but yours was so intriguing and entertaining, it made for a great TR. Great job!
Ditto. Thanks for the read.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:04 am

This is one crazy itinerary.

Loved the TR.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by macabus
Not long ago
I've stood up for a few folks who were at the short end of the stick in regards to authenticity on these boards, so I don't want to sound too cynical, but something just doesn't pass the sniff test here.

AAdvantage changed the rules for how oneworld awards are calculated back in September 2008, meaning if this was at Christmas, this trip would have had to have been flown in December 2007 to have been booked at the last minute under the old rules. "Not long ago" = almost 2 1/2 years ago?

Originally Posted by macabus
I had to buy a ticket on US from PHX-SFO because the 600 miles would have put me in a higher mileage category.
Under the old rules, starting in PHX would have added up to fewer miles, as it's about 600 miles closer to SCL than SFO is. Not the other way around.

Just sayin' ::scratch head::

(Perhaps I've misread something?)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:12 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I've stood up for a few folks who were at the short end of the stick in regards to authenticity on these boards, so I don't want to sound too cynical, but something just doesn't pass the sniff test here.

AAdvantage changed the rules for how oneworld awards are calculated back in September 2008, meaning if this was at Christmas, this trip would have had to have been flown in December 2007 to have been booked at the last minute under the old rules. "Not long ago" = almost 2 1/2 years ago?

Under the old rules, starting in PHX would have added up to fewer miles, as it's about 600 miles closer to SCL than SFO is. Not the other way around.

Given that the SFO-NRT was on a 747 and the route had switched to a 777-300 since 2008, it makes sense that this report happened back in Christmas 2006 or 2007.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeroWesty

You are correct, this was from December 2007. I've been traveling heavily for almost thirty years, and in my perspective this trip was not that long ago. Plus, I had detailed notes and just procrastinated writing a trip report until now.

Regarding the extra 600 miles... I had more than six hours in NRT between flights and AA considered that a stopover - even though there were no other flights to FRA, and it was less than 24 hours as the OW rules state.

They wanted an additional 30,000 miles and I fought them hard - even threatening legal action. They finally relented and deposited 30,000 extra miles in my account to appease the unyielding ticketing manager who insisted that the NRT connection was a stopover.

Plus, because I live in PHX and AA does not fly direct to SFO, I would have had to connect through DFW and back, or through SEA on AS. This backtracking is what would have put me over the limit.

Also, the outbound trip to SCL took slightly longer than 50 hours, but the return was a bit less, so I just averaged the two.

Does this pass your "sniff test" now?

I can always post a screenshot of my ticket receipt if you need more proof.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AC
Bravo! ^ I very much enjoyed reading your story.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Too bad you didn't get VDB in the holiday season

Good job on the routing!^
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:55 am

Amazing trip.

How much Champagne did you drink?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
You are my hero!!!^
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
oh how i love a good bottle of bubbles....:-)

nice read.....^
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.13 MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Champion-like Itinerary. Stuff of legends!!

Just curious....how long did it take for you to overcome jetlag??? Any tips??
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Platinum Cub
Champion-like Itinerary. Stuff of legends!!

Just curious....how long did it take for you to overcome jetlag??? Any tips??
The jet lag was monumental on the outbound, but not so bad on the return.

I was fortunate to have a suite at the Ritz Carlton in SCL, and spent a lot of time in the lounge where they set up five different food presentations a day.

Some excellent Chilean red wine helped ease the jet lag too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.